The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 20, 2003, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

"a"=offense "b"=defense

hello,
craziest play i have ever encountered as a basketball official in 12 years on the hard wood. "a" has the ball for a throw in after a made basket by "b" on the baseline; for some odd reason when the ball was thrown in too "a1" she seem rattled by the double team instead of passing the ball she shoots it and gets fouled hard. i was the head referee; we counted the basket and went too the other end too shoot the 1 shot was this the corect administration?
thanks
tim harris

p.s. just wanna say thanks too all the guys and gals out their in the stripes for all the great answers; this site is by far one of the most informative on the internet today!!
Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions, they become habits. Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Tim Harris
Old Thu Mar 20, 2003, 10:15pm
In Memoriam

Oh, my !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by timharris
"a"=offense "b"=defense

hello,
craziest play i have ever encountered as a basketball official in 12 years on the hard wood. "a" has the ball for a throw in after a made basket by "b" on the baseline; for some odd reason when the ball was thrown in too "a1" she seem rattled by the double team instead of passing the ball she shoots it and gets fouled hard. i was the head referee; we counted the basket and went too the other end too shoot the 1 shot was this the corect administration?
thanks
tim harris

p.s. just wanna say thanks too all the guys and gals out their in the stripes for all the great answers; this site is by far one of the most informative on the internet today!!
tim, tim, tim.
You made an Oweee!
Keep readin'.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2003, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

OK Tim, I'll take a stab at it.

Given that the definition of a "try" by A1 includes the requirement that she is shooting at A's basket, this does not qualify as a "try'. That means the foul is not a shooting foul. Therefore, A1 either gets a 1&1, or a throw-in from the closest spot to the foul.

That said, score the basket for team B and administer the penalty for the common foul on A1 (which ever applies). Be sure that if you are in the bonus, A1 shoots the 1&1 at A's basket

Now, if someone doesn't beet me to the punch this will be the third post. Someone will have something to add regardless, I'm sure.

Blackhawk
Old Thu Mar 20, 2003, 11:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackhawk357
OK Tim, I'll take a stab at it.

Given that the definition of a "try" by A1 includes the requirement that she is shooting at A's basket, this does not qualify as a "try'. That means the foul is not a shooting foul. Therefore, A1 either gets a 1&1, or a throw-in from the closest spot to the foul.

That said, score the basket for team B and administer the penalty for the common foul on A1 (which ever applies). Be sure that if you are in the bonus, A1 shoots the 1&1 at A's basket
Blackhawk
Great Start, Blackhawk.
But, like too many Blackhawks in Iraq, the landing made a mark.
mick dart thrower
Old Fri Mar 21, 2003, 12:41am
certified Hot Mom tester

Since this went in the wrong basket, the ball would have to have been in the basket prior to the foul for the points to count. If not, the foul causes the ball to become dead and no points are scored. There is no continuation because this is not a try or tap.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2003, 03:03am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackhawk357

As MP said,you only score the basket if the ball has gone through before the foul by B1 occurs. Casebook play 4.40.2SIT covers it.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2003, 05:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Since this went in the wrong basket, the ball would have to have been in the basket prior to the foul for the points to count. If not, the foul causes the ball to become dead and no points are scored. There is no continuation because this is not a try or tap.
Yep, no question.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2003, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Padgett found his meds!!
Old Fri Mar 21, 2003, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ANd, if the ball did go in first, the ball also becomes dead, so the foul won't happen (unless it's intentional or flagrant).

So, on this play, you'll (generally) either have points for B or a foul on B, but not both.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2003, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Shot in wrong basket

It's not a shot, even though the points are scored. It's a regular old foul, though.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2003, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Right you are about the Casebook reference . . .

What if . . . the ball goes through the basket . . . the ball is dead, is it not, with the clock running. If the foul occurs before the ball becomes alive, by virtue of being at the disposal player making the throw-in, what kind of a foul is a contact foul at that point?
Old Fri Mar 21, 2003, 12:59pm
In Memoriam

Post Re: Right you are about the Casebook reference . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffTheRef
What if . . . the ball goes through the basket . . . the ball is dead, is it not, with the clock running. If the foul occurs before the ball becomes alive, by virtue of being at the disposal player making the throw-in, what kind of a foul is a contact foul at that point?
JeffTheRef,
I've got three choices:
  • intentional,
  • flagrant,
  • incidental contact.

If there is any thought required at all, I'll have incidental contact.

mick
    Old Fri Mar 21, 2003, 02:19pm
    Official Forum Member

Dead ball contact

Mick: I agree. It's just one of the first 2000 situations it's nice to have thought through in advance, eh?
    Old Fri Mar 21, 2003, 03:52pm
    In Memoriam

Re: Dead ball contact

Quote:
    Originally posted by JeffTheRef
    It's just one of the first 2000 situations it's nice to have thought through in advance, eh?
    Often there is a lot of contact after a basket as one team is hurrying down the floor, some players are running after the ball to throw it in and the others are trying to find their man.
    We know there's gonna be some bumping, but we don't wanna allow crashin' and mashin'.