The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Nate Robinson shoots at wrong basket

YouTube - Nate Robinson shoots on wrong basket, D'Antoni snaps

For new officials only: If Nate released the shot before the horn, does it count or not?
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post

For new officials only: If Nate released the shot before the horn, does it count or not?
NBA - Who knows.
NCAA & NFHS - no.
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Did he travel first?
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 06:17pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiicream View Post
Did he travel first?
NCAA & NFHS - yes
NBA - no such thing
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

NBA- Horn or no horn, this is a violation as soon as he attempts the shot and no points can be awarded.
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 07:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
NBA- Horn or no horn, this is a violation as soon as he attempts the shot and no points can be awarded.
Really? Interesting.
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 10:33pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Really? Interesting.
Rule 5, Section I, Item e (from my copy of NBA rules as of Summer 2007):

It is a violation for a player to attempt a field goal at an opponent's basket. The opposing team will be awarded the ball at the free throw line extended.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Nov 22, 2009, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post

It is a violation for a player to attempt a field goal at an opponent's basket. The opposing team will be awarded the ball at the free throw line extended.
OK, next question: have the officials been instructed to enforce this rule?
Old Sun Nov 22, 2009, 09:55am
Esteemed Forum Member

Their Rulebook Is An Entertainment Book ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Have the officials been instructed to enforce this rule?
C'mon mbyron. You should already know this. It's the NBA. NBA officials have neither "enforce", nor do they have "rule" in their vocabulary.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 22, 2009, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post

I think this was put in place to prevent a player from shooting at the wrong basket as time expires and affecting the game results based on the point spread.
Old Sun Nov 22, 2009, 09:59am
Esteemed Forum Member

Always Listen To bob ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I think this was put in place to prevent a player from shooting at the wrong basket as time expires and affecting the game results based on the point spread.
You are correct. It's the infamous "Tim Donaghy Rule".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
NBA - Who knows.
NCAA & NFHS - no.
NFHS - Rule 5-2-1 & 3 - YES - it would count. There is a provision in 4-5-4 that if they start the second quarter going the wrong way (i.e. the officials make the mistake, not the player) then they just switch ends and play resumes.

I actually had a player (call him A1) get confused once on a full court press started immediately after the half. A1 caught the ball in the back court and made a spin move and drove right down the lane for a lay-up past B1. I stopped play when B1 team attempted to inbound the ball. In this case, my partner had informed both teams which direction they were going prior to the inbounds, so it was not our mistake - nullifying 4-5-4. We had the scorer make a footnote as in Rule 5-2-3 and nobody was credited for the goal. We resumed play with A2 inbounding the ball on the baseline, with all privileges (i.e. running the baseline to inbound the ball)
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 6-7-6: Ball becomes dead when the timer sounds for the end of the period.

The exception for a try in flight only applies to a try - and a try is defined by a shot at your own basket (4-41-2).
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 03:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathuc View Post
NFHS - Rule 5-2-1 & 3 - YES - it would count. There is a provision in 4-5-4 that if they start the second quarter going the wrong way (i.e. the officials make the mistake, not the player) then they just switch ends and play resumes.

I actually had a player (call him A1) get confused once on a full court press started immediately after the half. A1 caught the ball in the back court and made a spin move and drove right down the lane for a lay-up past B1. I stopped play when B1 team attempted to inbound the ball. In this case, my partner had informed both teams which direction they were going prior to the inbounds, so it was not our mistake - nullifying 4-5-4. We had the scorer make a footnote as in Rule 5-2-3 and nobody was credited for the goal. We resumed play with A2 inbounding the ball on the baseline, with all privileges (i.e. running the baseline to inbound the ball)
You discounted the score, or no individual player was credited? I'm not positive how you did this based on your wording here.

Also, the question you answered was, more specifically, "if a player shoots at the wrong basket and time expires while the shot is in flight, does it count?"

The answer to that question is, "No." The ball becomes dead when time expires, and none of the exceptions apply since this is not a legal try.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You discounted the score, or no individual player was credited? I'm not positive how you did this based on your wording here.

Also, the question you answered was, more specifically, "if a player shoots at the wrong basket and time expires while the shot is in flight, does it count?"

The answer to that question is, "No." The ball becomes dead when time expires, and none of the exceptions apply since this is not a legal try.
Right, right, I see your point and you are correct. If the ball had entered the basket with the clock running than your answer is Yes.

to answer your question; Yes, we counted the basket as it happened while the clock was running - no player was credited with the basket.