The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Since this is the world wide web, here's another version that might appeal to the non-English speakers..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR7RH...elated&search=
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 10:26am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Since this is the world wide web, here's another version that might appeal to the non-English speakers..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR7RH...elated&search=
Yup, he was....rugged.....

Danke
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 11:09am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Actually John I am going to have to disagree with you. For full disclosure I am a Piston fan as well. But this was not a foul if you look at the replay that was basically floor level. Hamilton put his hand on the ball and there was incidental contact with the arms. If you get the ball first, incidental contact should be after. This is especially the truth when the shooter was not knocked down. I would not call that foul in a middle school game.
I agree. The first time I saw it and afterwards. Hamilton had his hands straight up in the air, which is what we like to see from a defender. Good, good no-call.

The potential flop and throw-off by Wallace later. At first glance, I'm with you RUT, it looked like the defender over-reacted to the push off, in an attempt to get the call, even though Wallace is a big boy, I can't see him pushing another big man, that far, that hard on a move to the bucket. Perhaps a more subtle flop would have gotten him the call.

With all that being said, the first game where Lebron didn't go to the line at all, not one time. That game was very poorly officiated and there was one time, Lebron got crushed and there was no call! Even on the replay it was a foul. Coach should have went ballistic then and picked up a T. By letting that slide, made it worse for his young superstar who is definitely not getting the respect from the officials in this series, imho.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 01:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

So, you think the coach making an azz of himself would help his player get better calls in the game later? Is that how it works in the games you officiate?
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 01:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
So, you think the coach making an azz of himself would help his player get better calls in the game later? Is that how it works in the games you officiate?
It helped Bill Laimbeer win a championship last year. I saw it, felt he was right, he mention it to the media (ala Larry Brown) and he got his point across. Misson accomplished, end result, championship! You just got to know when to push those buttons, and also when to keep your mouth shut. Last night was good defense. Crying about good defense is bad for your team and serves only to piss the referee's off...
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
It helped Bill Laimbeer win a championship last year. I saw it, felt he was right, he mention it to the media (ala Larry Brown) and he got his point across. Misson accomplished, end result, championship! You just got to know when to push those buttons, and also when to keep your mouth shut. Last night was good defense. Crying about good defense is bad for your team and serves only to piss the referee's off...
Bill Laimbeer coaches? In what league? Don't tell me we are going to start talking about the WNBA?! I'm going to go read something about soccer instead...or maybe one of those "sports" with skateboards, bikes, and shorts hanging down around your ankles.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 02:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I cannot believe that you even compared the WNBA to what takes place in the NBA.

Peace
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 03:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I cannot believe that you even compared the WNBA to what takes place in the NBA.
I can.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 04:00pm

Quote:

Peace
Referee's can make a mistake no matter what the level or organization. The WNBA might even be a better comparison because they try to use the same rulesets. Coaching is coaching, a foul is a foul, no matter WNBA or NBA. I saw the same thing last year in the WNBA with the calls only going one way. It appears to me from afar that the Pistons is getting all the calls in this series and from someone who could care less who wins the series. It's so obvious. It was the same way when I watched the WNBA. I could care less who wins but I look for consistentcy on both ends of the court. That just doesn't happen that often in the WNBA but in the NBA, it realy stands out when you don't make obvious calls. I'll tell you something else, when the calls are consistent at both ends, and the teams are fairly even like in this series, it makes for a much better game to watch, imo. You take the ref's out the picture, the players will decide, and you don't know who's going to win. Makes for an exciting game to watch. Then all of a sudden, you get an obvious foul that's not called, here we go again with this star status system, new kid don't get calls he should get. Time to find something else to watch.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 04:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am doing this at my own peril, but he goes it.

Quote:
Referee's can make a mistake no matter what the level or organization. The WNBA might even be a better comparison because they try to use the same rulesets. Coaching is coaching, a foul is a foul, no matter WNBA or NBA.
Statements like this are the reason you have very little credibility on this site. JV is not the same as Varsity. Junior college is not the same as Division 3. And Men's basketball is certainly not the same as Women's basketball and that would not make the NBA and WNBA are not the same.

Quote:
I saw the same thing last year in the WNBA with the calls only going one way. It appears to me from afar that the Pistons is getting all the calls in this series and from someone who could care less who wins the series. It's so obvious. It was the same way when I watched the WNBA. I could care less who wins but I look for consistentcy on both ends of the court. That just doesn't happen that often in the WNBA but in the NBA, it realy stands out when you don't make obvious calls. I'll tell you something else, when the calls are consistent at both ends, and the teams are fairly even like in this series, it makes for a much better game to watch, imo. You take the ref's out the picture, the players will decide, and you don't know who's going to win. Makes for an exciting game to watch. Then all of a sudden, you get an obvious foul that's not called, here we go again with this star status system, new kid don't get calls he should get. Time to find something else to watch.
Once again you are not addressing the issue that I stated. This is not about consistency at all. The point is that a superstar did not "get a call." I thought the NBA always set it up so that the "superstars" would get the benefit of the doubt. When I listen to the pundits on the radio and on TV and then even that philosophy changes with the wind. Then I hear that Lebron has not earned it and if he was Magic, Bird or Jordan he would have gotten the call. The bottom line is all that is a bunch of crap. Since you mentioned the WNBA, many of the officials working that league are trying to get to the NBA. They are not likely to let their emotions get in the way of getting to the next level because a coach is an a-hole. That might be career suicide. Secondly anyone that officiates pro sports in this era is subject to more scrutiny and will be released if they screw up. Even one of the all-time best officials might not have a job now because he had a confrontation with a "superstar."

Why is everything based on a conspiracy? Why is this play with Lebron not just a block? I have not heard anyone say why it is a foul other than "it has to be a foul." Hamilton touched the ball on Lebron that was taking a very soft shot attempt to the basket. Was there contact? Of course there was, basketball is a contact sport. We do not just call fouls just based on contact, there has to be illegal contact involved. You have to have a better point of view then, "Well I think this took place because......." Two myths have been shattered this post season and the people that perpetuate them all the time come up with another theory to explain them. How about, the officials did not think it was a foul. And the officials called what they saw and there was no foul. I know I do not make decision based on all these dumb factors like who is at home, who has the star players or who is ranked higher. I am even hearing the pundants say, "Well in Jordan's 8th year he gets that call." It is clear to me that none of these people actually talk to officials that works in the NBA or that once worked in the NBA. If they actually had a conversation with officials, they might just learn we could give a damn. You really think someone is going to jeopardize their entire officiating career to give people who make millions the benefit of the doubt?

Peace
Old Sat May 26, 2007, 01:31pm

Quote:
Statements like this are the reason you have very little credibility on this site.
I am not here to win a popularity contest. Since you have no effect on what happens in my life, I really don’t care what you or the rest think. Just remember one thing, it’s not a one-way street. It’s more like a double edge sword, it’s cuts both ways. I going to speak for the moderators here. I’m sure they would rather you keep negative comments like this to yourself. It doesn’t help the forum, and it invites confrontation that makes them have to work harder. My credibility is not on trial here, but you and some of the others insist on making it a point of interest. One more thing, since you are so worried about what others think, how can you call a game fair?

Quote:
And Men's basketball is certainly not the same as Women's basketball and that would not make the NBA and WNBA are not the same.
Huh, english please????

Quote:
Once again you are not addressing the issue that I stated. This is not about consistency at all. The point is that a superstar did not "get a call." I thought the NBA always set it up so that the "superstars" would get the benefit of the doubt. When I listen to the pundits on the radio and on TV and then even that philosophy changes with the wind. Then I hear that Lebron has not earned it and if he was Magic, Bird or Jordan he would have gotten the call. The bottom line is all that is a bunch of crap.
Okay, the meat of your argument. Why didn’t you just come here right away instead of all the blah, blah, blah above and below this. If you recall what I originally stated, I agreed with you. However, a problem you are going to have to answer for yourself is. Why is this not a foul in Detroit but when the series returns to Cleveland it will be? LeBron will get these calls in Cleveland, you can believe that. This begs the question, do we have homer referee’s in the NBA? You say this is not about consistency. We’ll see when the series returns to Cleveland because if it’s a no-call in Detroit then it better be a no-call in Cleveland, otherwise the NBA officials are having some consistency issues.

For me, I’m just a fan looking for a good game. Don’t have a dog in either fight. I would love to see a good series without the attention switching to the officiating. Kind of like the Magic/Bird series, the Pistons/Lakers series or even the Portland (Bill Walton)/ 76ers series. I want the players to decide the game. I want bb to be the topic and not the officiating or conspiracy thinking. You fail to make obvious calls, then here we go. To me, if it’s a foul in the regular season, then it should be a foul in the playoff’s. It should not matter if it’s a superstar or the 10th player on the bench. Just call the freaking game.

Somebody needs to be suspended or fined for that push-off that Wallace got away with. Seeing that on replay and we should have had a whistle on that. Missing this is evidence that something is afoul in the association which I’m not going there. Maybe, the association needs to get Joey off the bench because we know he’s not afraid to call a foul on a superstar.
Old Sat May 26, 2007, 02:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
My credibility is not on trial here, but you and some of the others insist on making it a point of interest.

Somebody needs to be suspended or fined for that push-off that Wallace got away with.
If your credibility was on trial, JMO, it woulda been hung months ago. This is just typical of your idiocy. Suspend an official for missing one call? Un-freaking- believable!

Silly monkey......
Old Sat May 26, 2007, 04:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

[QUOTE=Old School]I am not here to win a popularity contest. Since you have no effect on what happens in my life, I really don’t care what you or the rest think. Just remember one thing, it’s not a one-way street. It’s more like a double edge sword, it’s cuts both ways. I going to speak for the moderators here. I’m sure they would rather you keep negative comments like this to yourself. It doesn’t help the forum, and it invites confrontation that makes them have to work harder. My credibility is not on trial here, but you and some of the others insist on making it a point of interest. One more thing, since you are so worried about what others think, how can you call a game fair?

You do not know basic stuff. I do not care what everyone thinks about you. You have no crediblity because everytime you make a post, it comes from a place where no one has heard anything you are saying before. It is like you make it up as you go along.

Quote:
Huh, english please????
HELLOOOO!!!!!! MEN'S AND WOMEN'S BASKETBALL ARE NOT THE SAME DAMN THING. THE FACT THAT YOU COMPARED SHOWS HOW LITTLE YOU KNOW ABOUT OFFICIATING!!!1

Quote:
Okay, the meat of your argument. Why didn’t you just come here right away instead of all the blah, blah, blah above and below this. If you recall what I originally stated, I agreed with you. However, a problem you are going to have to answer for yourself is. Why is this not a foul in Detroit but when the series returns to Cleveland it will be? LeBron will get these calls in Cleveland, you can believe that. This begs the question, do we have homer referee’s in the NBA? You say this is not about consistency. We’ll see when the series returns to Cleveland because if it’s a no-call in Detroit then it better be a no-call in Cleveland, otherwise the NBA officials are having some consistency issues.
My point of making this post was more rhetorical than anything. I personally do not care what others think about the play one way or the other. I just find it funny that superstars are accused of always getting the fouls and one of the biggest did not get a call in one of the biggest games of the year. I think the officials working the game thought there was no foul and that is why they called nothing. Who cares if this took place in Detroit (another common myth). The officials get paid by the NBA not by Detroit. The NBA is not amateur ball when the school or host school cuts the check. Even working some college conferences you will get a check from the conference office.

Quote:
For me, I’m just a fan looking for a good game. Don’t have a dog in either fight. I would love to see a good series without the attention switching to the officiating. Kind of like the Magic/Bird series, the Pistons/Lakers series or even the Portland (Bill Walton)/ 76ers series. I want the players to decide the game. I want bb to be the topic and not the officiating or conspiracy thinking. You fail to make obvious calls, then here we go. To me, if it’s a foul in the regular season, then it should be a foul in the playoff’s. It should not matter if it’s a superstar or the 10th player on the bench. Just call the freaking game.
Once again just like a fan you have not once talked about this from the standpoint of an official. If it was a foul on Lebron, you have to do better than say, "he got hammered." If you go to camp and use that line, they will cross you off immediately. But you should know that right? Officials do not make calls because there is contact; they make calls based on if something illegal took place. And to do so is being a fan and in many people's eyes is considered unprofessional. You come here all the time telling us what the officials should have done but you have not proven that you can even work a HS game.

Quote:
Somebody needs to be suspended or fined for that push-off that Wallace got away with. Seeing that on replay and we should have had a whistle on that. Missing this is evidence that something is afoul in the association which I’m not going there. Maybe, the association needs to get Joey off the bench because we know he’s not afraid to call a foul on a superstar.
And this comment is the very reason you constantly get crap from others all over the place. Now the guy who cannot work more than an intramural game wants to tell the NBA (which is a level you will never work) how they discipline officials. Work a HS game before you get so big and bad about what the big timers should do or not do.

Peace
Old Sun May 27, 2007, 09:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRuthledge
You do not know basic stuff.
I notice this term gets thrown around quite often on this forum. When someone has a different opinion the first thing you want to say is you don’t know basics. I have referee for over 15 years and played the game twice as long as that. How many years does it take before you learn the basics? I remember a movie, don’t recall the name, but a senior African American, in his 70’s after being called a boy, had a great line. How old to I have to be before I am no longer a boy?
Quote:
I do not care what everyone thinks about you.
Then why do you keep mentioning it? It has nothing to do with your topic.
Quote:
You have no crediblity because everytime you make a post, it comes from a place where no one has heard anything you are saying before. It is like you make it up as you go along.
Thank you, that’s the whole point of engaging the forum and sharing. There’s no point in engaging the subject if you have nothing different to say. Challenging the topic often makes for good discussion provided people can put there personal differences aside long enough to debate the subject. I do not understand why so many of you take things so personal, shoot the messenger mentality.

Quote:
HELLOOOO!!!!!! MEN'S AND WOMEN'S BASKETBALL ARE NOT THE SAME DAMN THING. THE FACT THAT YOU COMPARED SHOWS HOW LITTLE YOU KNOW ABOUT OFFICIATING!!!
No, you just showed the world how small your brain is and how little you know about the sport in general. I was comparing how one coach made a public statement about the officiating and was able to get calls in his favor, thus helping his team win a championship. Right now, the only thing LeBron needs is a coach that has respect around the league. The pieces are there, they can win with this team. However, you’re not going to win any championship if the referee’s don’t respect you enough to call a foul. Remember the mad respect Miami got from the ref’s last year. You don’t think Dwayne Wade got a call or two down the stretch to help his team win that series.

Quote:
I think the officials working the game thought there was no foul and that is why they called nothing. Who cares if this took place in Detroit (another common myth). The officials get paid by the NBA not by Detroit. The NBA is not amateur ball when the school or host school cuts the check.
Another point that shows your ignorance. The officials do get paid by the NBA Office, but who do you think pays the NBA office? The teams you moron, and they pay quite handsomely.

Quote:
You come here all the time telling us what the officials should have done but you have not proven that you can even work a HS game. Now the guy who cannot work more than an intramural game wants to tell the NBA (which is a level you will never work)
You would be surprised……
Have a nice day.
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
I thought superstars got were supposed to get all the calls?

Did anyone see the last shot attempt made by Lebron James and no foul was called?

Peace
NBA is a whole different animal. I rarely watch it because I pick up bad habits. IMO he was fouled but since time was ticking away, they passed on it.