The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 25, 2001, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to abergman Send a message via Yahoo to abergman
Hi, I'm a new official, I believe I have a grasp on these ideas but want to make sure by running some things by you guys.

When a foul is called away from the ball on a shooting play, i.e. foul undernieth while three point shot is being attempted. What is the enforcement on offense, defensive fouls? Count the basket? If someone could go through all the scenarios I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Old Thu Jan 25, 2001, 04:23pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by abergman
Hi, I'm a new official, I believe I have a grasp on these ideas but want to make sure by running some things by you guys.

When a foul is called away from the ball on a shooting play, i.e. foul undernieth while three point shot is being attempted. What is the enforcement on offense, defensive fouls? Count the basket? If someone could go through all the scenarios I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Adam,
If there is a defensive, or offensive, off-ball foul before the shot is released, ... call it, Dead Ball.
If there is a defensive, or offensive, off-ball foul after the shot is released ... call it, count the basket if it goes, forget it if it misses.
See Rules 4-40-4 and 6-7-9 (Exception 1)
These are the most important things to note as a first year official.
Later on, you may want to pass on an off-ball foul, in the interest of game flow, during a try to see if the foul is actually affecting the play or not. That is where Advantage/Disadvantage concepts are explored.

mick
Old Thu Jan 25, 2001, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Adam,
If there is a defensive, or offensive, off-ball foul before the shot is released, ... call it, Dead Ball.
If there is a defensive, or offensive, off-ball foul after the shot is released ... call it, count the basket if it goes, forget it if it misses.
Later on, you may want to pass on an off-ball foul, in the interest of game flow, during a try to see if the foul is actually affecting the play or not. That is where Advantage/Disadvantage concepts are explored.

mick
On MIck's first point -- you need to allow for "continuous motion" on a defensive foul, but not on an offensive foul. If the foul is on the defense, treat it as in condition 2 (i.e., the ball doesn't become dead until the try ends). IF the offense commits the foul, the ball is dead immediately (if it hasn't been released).
Old Fri Jan 26, 2001, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to abergman Send a message via Yahoo to abergman
Thumbs up

Thanks guys,
Thats the way I've been calling it, I thought I new it for sure until I seen a different call in a freshman game. The official said since the foul was on the offense, he waved off the basket because 'the ball didn't hit the rim when the offensive player fouled'.
Thanks again
Old Fri Jan 26, 2001, 07:40am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up nice Catch, Bob

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Adam,

mick
On MIck's first point -- you need to allow for "continuous motion" on a defensive foul, but not on an offensive foul. If the foul is on the defense, treat it as in condition 2 (i.e., the ball doesn't become dead until the try ends). IF the offense commits the foul, the ball is dead immediately (if it hasn't been released).

Yup, I forgot that important point.
Thanks.
mick