Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 05:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Breakdown the play:

Peace
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

VaTerp I missed that foul on my first pass of the video (real-time). Only on the second pass did I see the foul. Don't beat yourself up too much.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 05:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not have a foul on the shot. I have a blocked shot that might have some incidental contact after the ball was contacted. That is not a foul to me and the lead has a great look at it. I have no problem with his angle on the play at all. He is receiving the play as we teach officials to do. He has the best overall angle. The camera angle does not totally help either way if you ask me.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Can someone post the final video after 0.3 seconds has been restored to the clock. For some reason my computer won't play it from the TV station's website.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Honestly, I thought initially he missed the rotation at the other end. One the ball goes in the bucket, the new T and L have that covered and he could get down the floor a smidge earlier, I think. With such little time left, it would've been better to receive that play from a stationary position.

But you're right -- he covered the ground well.

It's likely a foul, but I'm trying to give the L the benefit of the doubt. Since he's not giving himself the benefit of the doubt, however....
If we aren't are own worst critics then we are doing something wrong IMO. You are correct that I picked up the rotation late. I was locked in on #32- the #1 HS girls player in the country BTW- as I knew the possession was going to run through her.

I noticed the rotation after the shot and in trying to transition from C to new L I took a step too far back and ran into the media table and temporarily lost my balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I got my times by using a stopwatch while watching the video multiple times. A luxury which you didn't have.

We agree on where you should have stopped for the best possible look. However, sometimes when sprinting full speed in an effort to hustle and cover the action an official will actually overrun the play and take himself out of position. It is not uncommon. I marvel at how the NBA guys don't do that more frequently in transition given the speed of the players they are observing. Perhaps it has to do with how little space is available to them on the end lines due to cheerleaders, TV cameras, and photographers. They may be conditioned to pull up sooner.

In my opinion, the most important thing you can take from this experience is how the crew handled restoring time to the clock. Given that the NFHS rule has 0.3 seconds as the cutoff for try versus tap, you need to have high certainty when making a decision which is right on that border. As you saw in this game, it can make a major impact. If you have a doubt, then I would recommend erring on the side of at least 0.4 going back up.
I agree on all acounts. Great point about overrunning the play. I agree that I should have stopped at the endline, which may have led to a better look.

As far as putting time back on the clock. I asked my partners and one said very definitively that he had 0.3. Knowing the situation and also knowing I was a little late on my whistle after the ball bounced out I should have gone at least 0.4.

Quote:
I have a mentality on fast breaks as the C -- I sell out and get the best look that I can at the play at the rim. I don't care if it takes me near the end line to get that look.

I don't think the C in your play did that.
He did not. And that was talked about as well by other officials after the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanjj68 View Post
VaTerp I missed that foul on my first pass of the video (real-time). Only on the second pass did I see the foul. Don't beat yourself up too much.
I appreciate it. I'm just trying to get better like most of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not have a foul on the shot. I have a blocked shot that might have some incidental contact after the ball was contacted. That is not a foul to me and the lead has a great look at it. I have no problem with his angle on the play at all. He is receiving the play as we teach officials to do. He has the best overall angle. The camera angle does not totally help either way if you ask me.

Peace
I appreciate your thoughts as well. Live, I thought I had a pretty good look and saw mostly what you saw. However, after the game I talked to at least 7 state level officials, assigners, and/or evaluators. They all had the opposite angle from the video in the thread. And they all had W3 coming across the arm.

I would not feel as bad if we had not called way more fouls than I would have liked in the game and shot 54 FTs.

If you get a chance, JRut I'd like to see the other video link I shared posted as well. Its a different camera angle and also captures what happened after we put time back on the clock.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

I'm slightly OCD but I'm watching video again and the defender definitely gets ball first.

I'm not sure its a foul.

Agree with Nevada that biggest takeaway is the clock. I should have said 0.5.

They scored and we had to wipe it.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 10:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
I appreciate your thoughts as well. Live, I thought I had a pretty good look and saw mostly what you saw. However, after the game I talked to at least 7 state level officials, assigners, and/or evaluators. They all had the opposite angle from the video in the thread. And they all had W3 coming across the arm.
That is all great, but I see arm contact, but the contact starts with the ball from the angle we have. Again, you did not call anything so something did not stand out to you for some reason. Nothing you have said changes my mind, but if you are convinced of something else that is up to you.

Quote:
I would not feel as bad if we had not called way more fouls than I would have liked in the game and shot 54 FTs.

If you get a chance, JRut I'd like to see the other video link I shared posted as well. Its a different camera angle and also captures what happened after we put time back on the clock.
I will, but I do not know where to find them. Are they on the Twitter account?

Peace
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm slightly OCD but I'm watching video again and the defender definitely gets ball first.

I'm not sure its a foul.
I don't agree that getting the ball first means it is not a foul.

If they get the ball and the ball comes loose, I'm probably passing on any subsequent contact on the arm unless I think it prevents the shooter from retrieving the ball (but that wouldn't be a shooting foul).

However, if they get the ball first and slip off onto the arm as the shooter continues to power through, I'm calling that foul. I think that is what happens here. She does appear to be on the ball at first, but the shooter maintains control and the defender's hand slips off the ball onto the right arm as the shooter adjusts and trys to still make the shot. I think this has to be a foul as the contact on the arm is what prevented the shot, not the contact on the ball.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Mar 14, 2017 at 11:36am.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with JRut and no-calling this, VaTerp. Not that it makes you feel any better.

I watched the play about 10 times and I'm just not seeing it. I'm seeing that it's a mess and I'm seeing that her arms aren't vertical and I'm seeing that it's the type of "bad optics" play that fans and coaches will say is a foul all day, but that's why they're not out there officiating a state final. You are.

I'm certainly not interested in the opinion of people in the stands who have a worse look than the C and are even farther away, regardless of how powerful they may be. I also understand that you have to be.

But yes, you could have easily called a foul and nobody would have said a word, not even the opposing coach. Just because it didn't "look" clean. But you stuck to your guns because how it looks and how it IS are very often not the same thing.

We've all been there, kicking ourselves after a huge moment. But hey, you reffed a state final. You're doing more than a few things right!
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 11:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Well, if you read above, I also saw what Rut did.

Too much reffing from the stands.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 11:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Well, if you read above, I also saw what Rut did.

Too much reffing from the stands.
Exactly. Even as someone that observes officials, I ask the calling official what they saw and mostly default to their position unless the video shows something else. The video does not show anything different than what the calling official saw.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I don't agree that getting the ball first means it is not a foul.

If they get the ball and the ball comes loose, I'm probably passing on any subsequent contact on the arm unless I think it prevents the shooter from retrieving the ball (but that wouldn't be a shooting foul).

However, if they get the ball first and slip off onto the arm as the shooter continues to power through, I'm calling that foul. I think that is what happens here. She does appear to be on the ball at first, but the shooter maintains control and the defender's hand slips off the ball onto the right arm as the shooter adjusts and trys to still make the shot. I think this has to be a foul as the contact on the arm is what prevented the shot, not the contact on the arm.
Notice I said I'm not sure its a foul, not that it wasnt. Live, I passed on it as I did not see the contact on the arm as in the video. And the offensive player seemed to go around and to the inside of the defender instead of "powering through." And the defender got her arm out of there very quickly in real time.

After the game and talking to other officials there I was convinced there should have been a foul. And after initially watching the video I agreed. However, after watching several more times I'm comfortable with my positioning and my judgement even if there were some takeaways to learn from.

As the guy who tossed the ball that night, I do believe that the game needed a foul at that time based on what had been called all night. So I do wish I'd had a whistle or that the C had worked to get a better angle to bail me out. But again, I'm comfortable with why I didnt have a call.

What is bothering me NOW is the clock. I took the first info I got from one partner, asked the other who didnt have anything to offer and just went with it. I should have taken more time, brought everyone's temperature down a bit and made a better decision that resulted in more time being restored.

Lessons learned and if I'm fortunate enough to be in a similar position in the future, hopefully I'm a better official for it.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Overall feedback was that I had a strong game- my partners not so much. And I don't say that to disparage them. Just being honest about what was said. But this end of game situation is really bothering me. Trying to learn from it and move on but I wish I'd stepped up more in the last sequence. That was communicated as well.
I do think you should have received the play better. You were very wide once on the endline, and your transition was fine. Either way from the L's angle here this could be a tough foul to call in transition and one that the C should be ready to make. I would personally as the C have been at least 5 or so feet onto the court. But for some reason end of game calls/no-calls get disproportionately weighed. I understand the idea of a team having less time to adjust, but the reality is a screw up by us is weighted equal anytime in the game. The fact that there is a countdown just adds to the urgency and "importance" but to me all calls are equal. Team turnovers and decisions play a much larger factor into the outcome.

After all that I though it was a clear foul from the video.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What is bothering me NOW is the clock. I took the first info I got from one partner, asked the other who didnt have anything to offer and just went with it. I should have taken more time, brought everyone's temperature down a bit and made a better decision that resulted in more time being restored.
It looks like you are wearing a PTS pack. Why didn't the clock stop on your whistle?
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 12:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Lessons learned and if I'm fortunate enough to be in a similar position in the future, hopefully I'm a better official for it.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Did you ever go to the alternate for information?

Did they have PTS for the finals? We didn't have any for the Semi's this year; last year's Semi's we had packs. (I worked my Semi at the Siegel Center this season).

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Mar 14, 2017 at 12:36pm.