The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 09:46pm
NFHS Official

LeBron Offensive Foul--video request

Game 6. 4:18 in the 4th.

What do you all think?

Last edited by OKREF; Sat Jun 01, 2013 at 10:04pm.
Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 09:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Good call. No great call and not called enough at all levels.

Peace
Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 10:09pm
This IS My Social Life

I know more about Noah's Ark than the arc under the basket in NBA.
Is it correct by that the offensive player causing contact commits a PC foul if the defender inside that arc maintains verticality?
Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 10:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Is it correct by that the offensive player causing contact commits a PC foul if the defender inside that arc maintains verticality?
We discussed this before and I am sure someone will reference the actual rule again, but when a player goes airborne the arc is not at play.

Peace
Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

i thought it was very similar to the no call involving the same players just a few minutes before. that was the lay up lebron made. thought there were a couple inconsistent calls by ref number 25. he had a few in a row in the third. the player he had where haslem slid under after the player was airborne. then a blocking foul on haslem when the offensive player was spinning out of control and crashes into him. Does the arc bail out the out of control player in this case? just my initial thoughts. they didnt show a replay of either of those
Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 11:50pm
In Time Out

the tech one?
VIDEO: LeBron James hit with a fourth-quarter tech - CBSSports.com
Should have been a no call. Either 1. The defensive player was not established before Lebron made his move. or 2. Same time- meaning a no call. Instead the ref goes with a charge which was the incorrect call. Unusual play and call. Good one to study. Listen, my preference is for the no call. I understand people who can argue for a charge here. I've called charges here with the Def player jumping straight up. My issue is simply that Lebron makes a move to break down the D. The interior D is a split second late. It would be wrong to call it a bad call but my argument is simply that a no call was preferable.

But overall seems people are ok with the refs this game despite some calls here and there.
I kind of wonder if Wade will retire or take a year off after the season...

Last edited by mutantducky; Sat Jun 01, 2013 at 11:56pm.
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post

1. The defensive player was not established before Lebron made his move.
What constitutes "made his move?"

As long as the call isn't on the defender in this play I can live with the whistle. Regarding the arc, the rule says you can't establish LGP within the arc for the sole purpose of drawing an offensive foul. You're still allowed to play defense, which is what Hibbert was doing.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 02:43am
AremRed

Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 02:50am
In Time Out

I thought it was good D. But not good enough to warrant a charge.
Lebron picks up his dribble just inside the ft line. Hibbert is still moving to position at this point. Its almost bang bang and I give credit for the ref for making the call. But as I said I just feel it should have been a no-call. I have no problem with someone saying it was a charge. This is a type of play that could have gone either way.
My order
1. no call
2. Charge
3. Block

Last edited by mutantducky; Sun Jun 02, 2013 at 02:52am.
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 03:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Lebron picks up his dribble just inside the ft line. Hibbert is still moving to position at this point. Its almost bang bang and I give credit for the ref for making the call. But as I said I just feel it should have been a no-call. I have no problem with someone saying it was a charge. This is a type of play that could have gone either way.
My order
1. no call
2. Charge
3. Block
Hibbert got to the position about the same time as James picked up his dribble. That was a great call. James plowed through as if he just expected the defense to get out of the way or be gifted a foul. It is great to see an offensive foul called when the defender jumps. Too many official automatically go to a block when the defender jumps. There is just way to much contact on that play for it to be a no call.
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 03:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
the tech one?
VIDEO: LeBron James hit with a fourth-quarter tech - CBSSports.com
Should have been a no call. Either 1. The defensive player was not established before Lebron made his move. or 2. Same time- meaning a no call. Instead the ref goes with a charge which was the incorrect call. Unusual play and call. Good one to study. Listen, my preference is for the no call. I understand people who can argue for a charge here. I've called charges here with the Def player jumping straight up. My issue is simply that Lebron makes a move to break down the D. The interior D is a split second late. It would be wrong to call it a bad call but my argument is simply that a no call was preferable.

But overall seems people are ok with the refs this game despite some calls here and there.
I kind of wonder if Wade will retire or take a year off after the season...

Quote:
My order
1. no call
2. Charge
3. Block
Your deciding point about whether the defender was late or not is simply too early. Under NBA rules, for a defender to have a legal position, he must have his torso in direct path and at the spot before the offensive player starts his upward motion with the ball to shoot or pass...not simply when an offensive player has picked up their dribble. In the clip, if you pause right when it hits 21 seconds, you can see Hibbert got to the spot before LeBron starts going upward with the ball to shoot. This is the deciding point about whether a defender is late or not...not simply when he has picked up his dribble which happened well before. Also, the restricted area does not come into play here as the defender alights in a legitimate attempt to block the shot.

The only options here are a no call or charge. I personally like the charge here.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 08:55am
Esteemed Forum Member

Maybe "Post O' The Month" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Great line. My nomination for "Post O' The Week".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

I am not an NBA ref and never will be, but this does not look like a simple block charge. Lebron leads with his elbow and uses it to clear his way for his shot.

Great call in my book!
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

I can't understand how people are saying there wasn't enough to warrant a charge when there was CLEAR DISPLACEMENT. Hibbert was cleared out and landed on his back.

Are you trying to tell me it was a flop? In mid air?!?
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 10:47am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMBReferee View Post
I can't understand how people are saying there wasn't enough to warrant a charge when there was CLEAR DISPLACEMENT. Hibbert was cleared out and landed on his back.

Are you trying to tell me it was a flop? In mid air?!?
How about the LBJ flop on the foul George got?