The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 09:12am
Courageous When Prudent

NCAA-Men's Final Video Request (Burke foul on Siva)

5:09 of the 2nd half.

Didn't see a foul live. Didn't see one on the replay.

Years ago in my first "big" HS game between defending state champs and their best intra-conference competion I called a similar foul on a play between 2 future D1 starters. The observer, female NCAA-W official, taught me about the philosophy of athletic players making athletic blocks and about the Lead laying off above-the-rim action.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 09:15am.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonx View Post
Good whistle on the Burke block. Going to goal, offensive player in the air, contact and offensive player hits the floor. Watch the off hand on Siva's hip. Entirely too much contact. Why would an official hold whistle just because of a high stakes game? A foul is a foul.

An official would hold his whistle because that's not a foul at any level of play.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 09:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'd like to think I'd hold off on that call.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

I like Burke being vertical here. Look where he takes off and where he lands. Good block! No foul.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 11:08am
NFHS Official

Don't know what the L saw. Did you notice Burke, I wonder what Higgins was telling him?
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

That's just a really bad angle by the L isn't it? He got caught in no man's land and flatlined himself. Either beat them down the floor and get the right angle, or hang back and get a better angle. Really unfortunate call.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 12:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

The L should have buttonhooked or stopped before getting to the end line. He took away his angle and saw mostly the end result of the play. He would have gotten a better angle if he stopped in the middle of the lane (Depth to the end line, not actual position) and let the play finish from there. He was straight-lined and missed the play for that reason IMO. We have all done it, even these guys.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

The only thing he "might" be calling was body contact. Burke was nowhere near LGP and jumped into Siva. This is often not called (rightfully so), but it was contact and it was from a defender who didn't have LGP and was jumping into his opponent.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 12:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The only thing he "might" be calling was body contact. Burke was nowhere near LGP and jumped into Siva. This is often not called (rightfully so), but it was contact and it was from a defender who didn't have LGP and was jumping into his opponent.
But a player does not always fall because of body contact. Silva fell because a person stopped his momentum by blocking the ball. A player is not going to be under control under those circumstances. I guess I am baffled that people do not expect contact on a blocked shot at the rim.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
But a player does not always fall because of body contact. Silva fell because a person stopped his momentum by blocking the ball. A player is not going to be under control under those circumstances. I guess I am baffled that people do not expect contact on a blocked shot at the rim.

Peace
Exactly
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 12:47pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Burke jumped into the backboard, not into Siva. I believe the word would be parallel.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
That's just a really bad angle by the L isn't it? He got caught in no man's land and flatlined himself. Either beat them down the floor and get the right angle, or hang back and get a better angle. Really unfortunate call.
+1000000000000000000

Funny he also posed from his straightlined position. If he had moved down a few steps after he blew, maybe not as noticeable albeit the wrong call IMHO

Looks like a guess to me.