View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I don't agree that getting the ball first means it is not a foul.

If they get the ball and the ball comes loose, I'm probably passing on any subsequent contact on the arm unless I think it prevents the shooter from retrieving the ball (but that wouldn't be a shooting foul).

However, if they get the ball first and slip off onto the arm as the shooter continues to power through, I'm calling that foul. I think that is what happens here. She does appear to be on the ball at first, but the shooter maintains control and the defender's hand slips off the ball onto the right arm as the shooter adjusts and trys to still make the shot. I think this has to be a foul as the contact on the arm is what prevented the shot, not the contact on the arm.
Notice I said I'm not sure its a foul, not that it wasnt. Live, I passed on it as I did not see the contact on the arm as in the video. And the offensive player seemed to go around and to the inside of the defender instead of "powering through." And the defender got her arm out of there very quickly in real time.

After the game and talking to other officials there I was convinced there should have been a foul. And after initially watching the video I agreed. However, after watching several more times I'm comfortable with my positioning and my judgement even if there were some takeaways to learn from.

As the guy who tossed the ball that night, I do believe that the game needed a foul at that time based on what had been called all night. So I do wish I'd had a whistle or that the C had worked to get a better angle to bail me out. But again, I'm comfortable with why I didnt have a call.

What is bothering me NOW is the clock. I took the first info I got from one partner, asked the other who didnt have anything to offer and just went with it. I should have taken more time, brought everyone's temperature down a bit and made a better decision that resulted in more time being restored.

Lessons learned and if I'm fortunate enough to be in a similar position in the future, hopefully I'm a better official for it.

Thanks for all the feedback.