The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
Notice I said I'm not sure its a foul, not that it wasnt. Live, I passed on it as I did not see the contact on the arm as in the video. And the offensive player seemed to go around and to the inside of the defender instead of "powering through." And the defender got her arm out of there very quickly in real time.

After the game and talking to other officials there I was convinced there should have been a foul. And after initially watching the video I agreed. However, after watching several more times I'm comfortable with my positioning and my judgement even if there were some takeaways to learn from.

As the guy who tossed the ball that night, I do believe that the game needed a foul at that time based on what had been called all night. So I do wish I'd had a whistle or that the C had worked to get a better angle to bail me out. But again, I'm comfortable with why I didnt have a call.

What is bothering me NOW is the clock. I took the first info I got from one partner, asked the other who didnt have anything to offer and just went with it. I should have taken more time, brought everyone's temperature down a bit and made a better decision that resulted in more time being restored.

Lessons learned and if I'm fortunate enough to be in a similar position in the future, hopefully I'm a better official for it.

Thanks for all the feedback.
I don't think it's a foul. Defender got the ball and then got her arm out of there quickly. That's why the shot went long. The body language of #2 also tells me she didn't think there was contact on her arm. The video looks bad, but I don't see any contact on the arm.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
It looks like you are wearing a PTS pack. Why didn't the clock stop on your whistle?
Yes, we had PTS. Not sure why it didnt work here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Did you ever go to the alternate for information?

Did they have PTS for the finals? We didn't have any for the Semi's this year; last year's Semi's we had packs. (I worked my Semi at the Siegel Center this season).
Didnt go to the alternate but I should have. And yes, they had PTS for the finals but not semis this year apparently. My semi at Hampton did not use them either.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

In real time, I am calling a foul (from the camera perspective). The defense put herself in a bad situation by coming over the top of the shooters arms when she lost verticality. As a coach, I would be upset with my defense when called for a foul similar to this (had it been called). I have had my players tell me that they didn't touch her and my response was not to put yourself in that situation.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Jamestown boys and King’s Fork girls lose in state title game | WAVY-TV

This is supposedly the embed link to a video that is on a TV station's website link. I do not know the origin of the video.

If anyone could embed that it would be great. Doesnt show the drive to the basket but does show the ending sequence, putting time back on clock, and explanation to coach.

Sorry, that just seems to link to TV station website. Maybe its this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%3Ci...hrome&ie=UTF-8