The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 02, 2016, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Video Request: Travel or Foul....or both?

1/2/16: LSU @ Vanderbilt, ESPN2, 16:39 2nd Half.

V30 drives from weak side to the basket. Contact with L32 while V30 in the act of shooting, and for what it's worth, the ball goes in. L has a foul on L32, but C has a travel. They get together, and then go to the monitor.

Eventually, they go with the foul on L32, which I believe was a good call. Then the officials appear to forget that the ball had gone in, and Coach V very vocally mentions that, and then the officials get together again and eventually count the basket and award one free throw. Coach L is incensed; it's possible that he was just upset at the overall outcome altogether, but it's also possible that he felt that even though there was a foul in the act of shooting by L32, V30 may indeed have travelled (put the pivot foot back down) after the contact but before releasing the shot. If that was his point, I think he had a good one; officials should have wiped the basket and awarded two free throws, me thinks?

I'm curious what people think in general, but I'll also be curious to hear some NCAAM officials discuss what was done with the monitor, whether the officials used it within prescribed limits, and whether they could have gone back to the monitor a second time to confirm the foul-travel sequence.

This will be a long clip. Get some popcorn.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2016, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

I don't know of any rule permitting a review of this situation.
Hopefully, one of our video guys will post this play and we can all take a look.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2016, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

Not NCAAM but I just watched the play but no time to post it since sleep calls.

It appears the monitor was used to determine who committed the foul, which is legal. As to the play itself - it appeared the BH/D traveled prior to contact but the L & C hashed that one out and determined there was a foul (the L's call). Given that's the case, the goal shouldn't have counted if the C ruled a travel after the whistle because the ball wasn't dead at the time of the foul.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Ferris

Bueller? .....Bueller?