The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed2You View Post
In the OP, is the runner trying to get back to the bag because he didn't tag up, thus making it a force out?

Because on a play which requires the runner to be tagged, touching a runner with the glove and the ball in the other hand does not lead to an out. The ball must be in the glove if the glove is used to tag him.

From NFHS Rules By Topic (pg 85) "The tag must include the ball. If the ball isn't in the glove, the glove touching the runner has no effect."
There's a difference between "tagging a base" and "taggin a runner". For the appeal play, see 8-2-6.b

In OBR, you can go to 2.0-Tag. THe concpts are the same in all codes.

And, while the "force out" wording might not matter in this specific play, it can have some pretty significant differences in other plays -- that's why the focus on the responses here. See for example, 8-2-6.h
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 08:54am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Then he learned something. Isn't that why this place is here?
I just know you have the knowledge, and experience to give a better and/or detailed explanation than the one provided. That is what the place is here for. I guess I was wrong in expecting more from you.
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
When tagging a base the ball has to be held securely in the hand or glove and the base tagged with the body (includes... hair...)
I'm waiting for the day when the home team is down one with two outs in the bottom of the last with an R3. The batter bunts, F2 throws to F3 who catches the ball but loses his footing and falls down, but his long hair grazes the base just before the B/R gets there.
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
It's stuff like that is why this forum doesn't hold water anymore...think about it. He more that likely knows the right answer, but not the terminology.
But he doesn't know the right answer. Not only was the terminology incorrect, his answer that the runner had to be tagged was ALSO incorrect.

To the OP - sorry for the wrong answers above. This should have been an out.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Whoa

you all need to relax. It's probably responses like these that keep a lot of newer guys from posting all of their questions, which is a shame.

I merely asked for a clarification to the OP because it wasn't immediately clear to me. Re-reading what i wrote, I can see how one might interpret my post as saying the runner needed to be tagged. This is NOT what i was saying. I'm well aware of the rules, as i said "Because on a play which requires the runner to be tagged..." I was not saying that on THAT play the runner had to be tagged.

I admit I used the wrong terminology, consider me properly flogged.

In my citation of the rule about tagging, I was trying to contrast the requirements for touching a base on an appeal play and the requirements for touching a runner on a tag play....where it certainly matters what hand the ball is in!

Thanks for the civil response Bob. All you other Francises need to lighten up.
All the worlds great civilizations have followed the same path. From bondage to liberty, liberty to abundance, abundance to complacency, complacency to apathy, apathy back to bondage. If we are to be the exception to history, then we must break the cycle; for those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Now THIS is the best post in this thread!!!!!

+1
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
you all need to relax. It's probably responses like these that keep a lot of newer guys from posting all of their questions, which is a shame.
Ok, fair enough - we misunderstood your intent... given your clarification, though ... what did you mean by: "is the runner trying to get back to the bag because he didn't tag up?" Why is that something you wanted to know to make the proper ruling? (IOW -- if you knew it was appeal play, why did that matter?)

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

ô!ô

Quote:
"Thanks for the civil response Bob. All you other Francises need to lighten up."
Actually I just read this thread for the first time today.

Everything I read was pretty tame by internet umpire standards.

What people find is that internet umpires are anal in the vocabulary of umpiring.

There is little to no toleration for using incorrect argot of the umpire hobbyist that float the unending land of oz.

I think you taking offense was really quite funny.

T
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

No doubt. Just add "ing" to the description, "time play" and you will get a minimum of ten responses.
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Time playing? Did I misunderstand you?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 05:22am
Official Forum Member

ô!ô

I think you did misunderstand . . . I think he meant "timing play" or the post is nonsensical.

Forest NEVER makes nonsensical posts.

T
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Stikes, Forest, call strikesssssssssss!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That doesn't make any sense to me - the only way you learn is to be able to debate the questions and rules - that's all a part of becoming a better umpire.

One of the most important things an umpire can do is to "use proper terminology" especially when you do have a play that requires you to "discuss" the rule with a coach etc.,

Learning to use the right terminology here on the boards should help you to remember that when you have a banger play and everyone is screaming and yelling for an explanation etc,

After this thread it should be easy to remember at least one thing - its not a force play. That can help especially a "newer" guy.

At least that's my take

Thanks
David
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My apologies,

One time:

It is not a Force Out

Francises
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 10:18am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
That doesn't make any sense to me - the only way you learn is to be able to debate the questions and rules - that's all a part of becoming a better umpire.

One of the most important things an umpire can do is to "use proper terminology" especially when you do have a play that requires you to "discuss" the rule with a coach etc.,

Learning to use the right terminology here on the boards should help you to remember that when you have a banger play and everyone is screaming and yelling for an explanation etc,

After this thread it should be easy to remember at least one thing - its not a force play. That can help especially a "newer" guy.

At least that's my take

Thanks
David
Not to mention the fact that officials of all sports need to develop a bit of a thick skin. It's hard to imagine (a hypothetical) someone who gets his feelings hurt by volumeless, faceless strangers on the internet actually holding up under the pressure of a coach and fans yelling during a game.