View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 23, 2013, 11:02am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freejoe69 View Post
High-school JV game with veteran officials. One out, runner on second base. Batter lines out to centerfield, runner gets caught up the line on his way to third. Throw from CF is low and off line to second base. 2B leaves bag, traps ball and secures it, then takes ball out of his glove (not sure why), and comes back to tag the bag with his glove, beating the runner. Base umpire called runner safe and said that glove was not an extension of the baseball. I looked this situation up on some other umpire sites and saw interpretations that were 180 degrees apart. Too late now, obviously, but I'm interested to know. Citations, please.
"Veterans" working JV huh?

As long as the glove was properly worn, and the ball firmly secured in his hand, the runner should be out on appeal.

I'm not going to look it up, but it's the same logic at the first baseman's foot tagging 1B when the batter-runner grounds out to F6.

Those "veteran" umpires, if this story is exactly as you describe it, need to spend some time in the rule book and quit making up rules.