The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Tsmokie
I attended an ASA clinic last week, and now I'm confused on a rule I thought I knew for sure. If anyone can give me a better reference or an interpretation it sure would be appreciated. Here is the situation:

Long fly ball to the fence, the ball hits the outfielders glove, in fair territory and goes over the outfield fence in foul territory. What is the award?

I have always been taught that it would be a ground rule double based on rule 8 section6 i. on page 112 of this years ASA rule book, it says "also, when it deflects off of a defensive player and goes out of play in foul territory, deflects off a runner or umpire and goes out of play after having passed an infielder excluding the pitcher etc.,"

According to our clinician last week it would be a 4 base award, when I brought up this reference he said that only applies to plays in the infield. Well, needless to say I still don't agree, and he could not give me a reference.

Can someone please clarify this for me or give me a better reference.

Thanks

TMSOKIE
Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Cool POE 25 F.

"A batted ball hitting a defensive player in fair territory, but going over the fence in FOUL territory is a TWO base award."

Don
Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

So, I also was looking this up in the POE's, and see that Don has answered it.

I have another question.

POE 25G. A batted ball that leaves the park in fair territory and first touches the ground in foul territory...

How is this possible? Boomerang ball?
Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Isn't this real close to one of the questions on the ASA exam this year?
Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Gary

Yes it was part of the test and it was one of the question where the were two correct answers it was involving which of the below were not considered 4 base award and I am betting this is were the confusion is coming from in his association

Dakota

Dont you hate those big boulders sitting over there along right field in foul territory.(Just a guess)

Don
Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
So, I also was looking this up in the POE's, and see that Don has answered it.

I have another question.

POE 25G. A batted ball that leaves the park in fair territory and first touches the ground in foul territory...

How is this possible? Boomerang ball?
Not only is it possible, it is quite common in any game involving a round ball, a bat and four bases.

Old Wed Apr 17, 2002, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Tsmokie
Thanks, that is exactly what I thought. By the way this interpretation wasn't from a local official it was from an ASA Regional Director.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2002, 06:15am
Official Forum Member

Don't take as Gospel everything clinicians or directors tell you about rules. Over the years I have received so much wrong information that at a clinic I accept their expertise about certain things but no longer even ask about rule interpretation. Post your question here and you'll usually get a useful answer, even if there's some disagreement.