The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Question ASA Co-Ed Rules Interpretation Help

Okay, ASA Rules only (please).

In Co-Ed, infielders must stay in the infield until the ball is pitched or batted? I think it's when the ball is batted, but can't seem to find specific definition in ASA Rules Book. Help please!
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Without having my 2011 book with me, since the rule has changed this year...

I would say time of pitch, but would have very little from the book to directly back me up.

My rationale is that there are certain requirements of the fielders' positioning that are only required prior to the pitch - the catcher must be in the catcher's box, all other fielders must be in fair territory, etc. By extension, I would say that infielders and outfielders must be in their proper positions by the time the ball is pitched.

Practically-speaking, it's next to impossible for an infielder to have enough time to go from the infield to the outfield (or vice-versa) after the pitch has been released, but before the pitch is batted.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Practically-speaking, it's next to impossible for an infielder to have enough time to go from the infield to the outfield (or vice-versa) after the pitch has been released, but before the pitch is batted.
Actually it's not that uncommon. My co-ed team would put LF right on the edge of the OF and then rush in with the pitch to cover 3rd (obviously only on batters that obviously weren't going to put the ball in the OF.)

West Houston Mike
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Actually it's not that uncommon. My co-ed team would put LF right on the edge of the OF and then rush in with the pitch to cover 3rd (obviously only on batters that obviously weren't going to put the ball in the OF.)
Average human runs at between 14-17 MPH. That's a max of 25 feet/second. Average pitch is about 1 second, maybe 1.2 seconds.

They're not getting all that far.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Last edited by NCASAUmp; Tue May 10, 2011 at 08:41am.
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Average human runs at between 14-17 MPH. That's a max of 25 feet/second. Average pitch is about 1 second, maybe 1.2 seconds.

They're not getting all that far.
No, but you said, "it's next to impossible for an infielder to have enough time to go from the infield to the outfield" Which is rather an odd statement considering that the infield and outfield touch each other, and only a step is required to go from one to the other. WRT the OP, "25 ft" (using your math) is definitely significant enough for him to be worrying about whether the OF is released on the pitch or on the batted ball.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
No, but you said, "it's next to impossible for an infielder to have enough time to go from the infield to the outfield" Which is rather an odd statement considering that the infield and outfield touch each other, and only a step is required to go from one to the other. WRT the OP, "25 ft" (using your math) is definitely significant enough for him to be worrying about whether the OF is released on the pitch or on the batted ball.
Sure, if they're playing where we consider the infield and outfield to meet.

Regardless, I think it's looking for something that just ain't there.

Old Tue May 10, 2011, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioJ View Post
Okay, ASA Rules only (please).

In Co-Ed, infielders must stay in the infield until the ball is pitched or batted? I think it's when the ball is batted, but can't seem to find specific definition in ASA Rules Book. Help please!
It is based upon TOP since it is considered "defensive positioning" as noted in the index. Don't care where they go, nor would I be able even note such as an umpire since I have other duties once the pitch is released.
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
...nor would I be able even note such as an umpire since I have other duties once the pitch is released.
What? You mean slow pitch doesn't have a Head Linesman?