The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Rules Interpretation

A few weeks ago, I was named a UIC and rules interpreter for Utrip fastpitch. With this job comes responsibilities and tonight's one of them. Tonight I am meeting with coaches for a fall league that my umpiring group is going to work games for. I am asked to talk to the coaches tonight and give them some idea about the rules for Utrip.

I am asking any of you, if you were asked to do this, or if anyone is a UIC/Rules Interpreter and would like to provide me some bulletpoints or helpful hints - what should they be?

I'd like to hear some opinions.

Thanks!

On a related note, I have already met with the umpires for their rules interpretation - but we do have another meeting coming, and I would like to do a mechanics and positioning clinic as well. Any helpful hints on what to tell the umpires in any upcoming meetings?

Other than ..... READ THE RULE BOOK. That's the first thing I told the umpires and will tell the coaches. But we know how many people do that.

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.

Last edited by LIUmp; Thu Sep 29, 2011 at 11:39am.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

I would focus on the printed local rules that deviate from standard USSSA rules, the LBR, pitching rules.

I would probably avoid OBS/INT, as that will only degrade into a million tangents and questions with a million more follow-ups. Let those calls stay on the field and be handled on a case-by-case basis.

In a coaches meeting, structure is the key.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

I would spend a few minutes teaching them how to properly discuss a play with an umpire when there's a question. Amazing how many 10th year coaches still come out and talk to PU on BU's call, or vice versa.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Point out that they need to actually wait to be awarded time before they walk onto the field. Cant tell you how many times I have had a coach call time and then just start heading out with action still going on, especially on a walk.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Point out that they need to actually wait to be awarded time before they walk onto the field. Cant tell you how many times I have had a coach call time and then just start heading out with action still going on, especially on a walk.
I usually include that in the plate conference. "If you have a question about a call, ask for time, WAIT for time to be called, then go to the umpire who made the call. We'll be happy to talk with you about it. (emphasis on being receptive)"

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIBlueASA View Post
A few weeks ago, I was named a UIC and rules interpreter for Utrip fastpitch. With this job comes responsibilities and tonight's one of them. Tonight I am meeting with coaches for a fall league that my umpiring group is going to work games for. I am asked to talk to the coaches tonight and give them some idea about the rules for Utrip.

Are you talking about coaches who are used to a different sanction? If so, cover differnces, particularly lineups. Either way, cover changes this year and classic/common misunderstandings.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIBlueASA View Post

I'd like to hear some opinions.

Thanks!
Change your screen name.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Good Luck J.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
I usually include that in the plate conference. "If you have a question about a call, ask for time, WAIT for time to be called, then go to the umpire who made the call. We'll be happy to talk with you about it. (emphasis on being receptive)"
Seriously? I have always believed that the plate conference is simply for line-ups (reviewing/making any changes/accepting), covering any applicable ground rules, and establishing home team (if necessary.) I do not include any other information (except in HS where I have to do the "equipped according to the rulebook" thing and establish the site admin.) No rules clinics, no telling them things that they should already know.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Seriously? I have always believed that the plate conference is simply for line-ups (reviewing/making any changes/accepting), covering any applicable ground rules, and establishing home team (if necessary.) I do not include any other information (except in HS where I have to do the "equipped according to the rulebook" thing and establish the site admin.) No rules clinics, no telling them things that they should already know.
Depends... most tourneys around here have teams from all over - we are asked, during the first two games of the day (which covers all the teams' first games) to add the "how to approach us" piece and often a few other tidbits that need to be said once during the day but not all day long. We've learned from experience not to assume that the umpires from Podunk, Nowhere have any idea how to officiate a game, so their coaches have not learned either.

And at league ball, we generally do this on the first day as well. For games other than the first ones, my PC is very much like you describe.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
It only adds 10 seconds to the conference. Most SP coaches have zero clue about how to ask us questions.

Furthermore, it also lets the coaches know that as an umpire, I'm approachable, and that I don't view myself as above being questioned. It helps to defuse a situation before it even happens.

Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Some on this board think the "how to approach the umpires" shouldn't be brought up during the plate meeting. I disagree. Most umpires agree that preventative umpiring can save a lot of headaches during a game. I consider this 10 second addition at the plate meeting, preventative umpiring, and believe it could come in handy for some coaches and umpires. Dave
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
It only adds 10 seconds to the conference. Most SP coaches have zero clue about how to ask us questions.

Furthermore, it also lets the coaches know that as an umpire, I'm approachable, and that I don't view myself as above being questioned. It helps to defuse a situation before it even happens.
I'll jump on here. Introduction, check line-up cards, recheck line-up cards w/coach, ground rules SPECIAL tournament rules, request for confirmation/questions concerning what was just covered, coin flip, play ball.

Once you deviate where do you stop? If you start covering this and that and miss a particular issue or part, now you may have just added to the confusion. Not only that, but as noted, you have already predetermined how situations should be handled. Well, by this point you have noticed, not all situations play out in the same manner. This can easily create a "not one more word" situation.

You talk about "defusing" a situation when there is no situation to defuse. Much like when you have umpires who spend 10-20 seconds WARNING teams about their pet peeve du jour whether profanity, collisions, getting out of the way if ODB, complaining about balls/strikes, throwing a bat, conferences, smack talk, whatever.

And when I talk to these umpires, they give me the same spiel, it's preventive umpiring. Well, no it is not, it is antagonizing and opening up a can of worms that need not be open the entire game, but you have already done so.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I'll jump on here. Introduction, check line-up cards, recheck line-up cards w/coach, ground rules SPECIAL tournament rules, request for confirmation/questions concerning what was just covered, coin flip, play ball.

Once you deviate where do you stop? If you start covering this and that and miss a particular issue or part, now you may have just added to the confusion. Not only that, but as noted, you have already predetermined how situations should be handled. Well, by this point you have noticed, not all situations play out in the same manner. This can easily create a "not one more word" situation.

You talk about "defusing" a situation when there is no situation to defuse. Much like when you have umpires who spend 10-20 seconds WARNING teams about their pet peeve du jour whether profanity, collisions, getting out of the way if ODB, complaining about balls/strikes, throwing a bat, conferences, smack talk, whatever.

And when I talk to these umpires, they give me the same spiel, it's preventive umpiring. Well, no it is not, it is antagonizing and opening up a can of worms that need not be open the entire game, but you have already done so.
You know, I just don't see how telling a coach that s/he can come ask you a question is antagonizing them, especially in the polite and upbeat tone in which I deliver the message.

The Umpire Manual does give an excellent outline, but that's exactly what it is: an outline. It's a framework that leaves the umpire to fill in as s/he sees fit, and if I have green coaches, I see nothing wrong with informing them of how to approach us.

Many of the coaches in the local leagues are very green. They come out of the dugout and are halfway to me before asking for time, and before the runners are on their bases with the ball in the circle. They have no clue that they're putting themselves at risk of complicating the game for everyone.

I don't see this as a deviation. I see this as filling in part of the outline, not script, that ASA gave us.

Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post

You sound like we're talking about having discussions on various rules... if that's what you thought I meant, I apologize. What I'm saying is adding a simple, "If you want to discuss a play, ask for time, wait for us to call time, and then approach the umpire that made the call. If that umpire feels we need to get together, we'll do so." That's not opening any doors or initiating any what-ifs. It's clear and concise, and A) makes us more approachable and less antagonistic and B) hopefully heads off the coach walking onto the field during live play and/or going to PU to ask for help on BU's call or vice versa. It also doesn't invite further conversation - we say that and move right into whatever's next.

West Houston Mike