The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Rules Interpretation

Did my first game tonight and had the following situation. I was the BU , R1 on first with no out's. Pitcher begins windup and the ball slipped out of her hand and rolled to the the back of the pitcher's circle and stopped inside the circle. I waited for the PU to call it a "BALL", but he didn't and instead called it a "NO PITCH" which makes it a DEAD BALL. R1 advanced to 2nd base on the play. After the PU and coach had a little chit chat R1 was returned to 1rst base I guess because it was a dead ball. I stayed out of it, but felt that it should have been called a "BALL"/"LIVE BALL"" and R1 adavance to 2nd should have been allowed???? What do you guy's think????
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 09:25pm
Never Stop Learning

You were correct. Live ball if ball slips from the pitchers hand during the delivery, and a ball is declared on the batter. ASA 6-11 NFHS 6-2-6
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

You didn't say if it was an ASA or NFHS game, nor did you indicate if the hands had touched yet (pitcher begins windup). That matters.

In NFHS, the pitch begins with any pitching motion, so it should be a ball, and a live ball. In ASA, the pitch begins when the hands touch and then separate, so it may not have been a pitch, yet, depending on when this particular pitcher brings her hands together. If prior to "begins windup", then same ruling, ball and live ball; but if the hands were not together yet, all we have is a live ball, and yes, a "no pitch".

A "no pitch" is not necessarily a dead ball, unless the umpire actually chooses to kill the play.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
"In NFHS, the pitch begins with any pitching motion, so it should be a ball, and a live ball."
as long as the hands were joined before the pitching motion.

If the pitcher drops the ball before the join, I think that's a no-call because calling "no pitch" might cause dead-ball confusion.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
You didn't say if it was an ASA or NFHS game, nor did you indicate if the hands had touched yet (pitcher begins windup). That matters.

In NFHS, the pitch begins with any pitching motion, so it should be a ball, and a live ball. In ASA, the pitch begins when the hands touch and then separate, so it may not have been a pitch, yet, depending on when this particular pitcher brings her hands together. If prior to "begins windup", then same ruling, ball and live ball; but if the hands were not together yet, all we have is a live ball, and yes, a "no pitch".

A "no pitch" is not necessarily a dead ball, unless the umpire actually chooses to kill the play.
I aplogize for not properly describing the paly:-( Pitcher met all requirements and had begun her windup when the ball slipped out of her hands!!! Also this was a NFHS
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrock1954
I aplogize for not properly describing the paly:-( Pitcher met all requirements and had begun her windup when the ball slipped out of her hands!!! Also this was a NFHS
While we're at it, has the pitcher met the bringing the hands together part of the rule in the following scenario: Right handed pitcher takes her position with hands separated with the ball in her right hand. Takes her signal then brings her right hand, with the ball in it, and touches the ball to the outside tip of the glove out in front of her for at least 1 second and then begins her delivery???? Had a coach question this last night, and I told him that the rules state the hands must come "TOGETHER", not that the throwing hand must go inside the glove. Obviously if the pitcher had the ball in her glove hand, then she would have to put her throwing hand inside the glove. Am I understanding this correctly???