The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 26, 2002, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

For most of us we will probably not make it to the Big Time and IMO umpiring should be fun. When it's not fun anymore it's time for something else.

When I first started umpiring IMO I was way too serious. I was just learning at the time and really wasn't enjoying myself. At the end of the first season I said to myself "is this really worth it"

I started in LL as many do out of necessity. You know you have coaches/ players / Fans but 1 or 2 mising ingredients namely umpires. When someone asks does anybody want to umpire it's like a plague or something. So I donated my time.

After that first year, I decided to be more of myself and while I have a job to do on the field it should be fun as well. I adopt that philosophy whether I'm umpiring a scrimmage game in the early part of year or a sectional at the end.

Just like when we played we need to be calm and not be too anxious etc. Some of things I do is talk to players / coaches. I know some umpires frown on this, but that's me. I talked when I was a player and I talk now. In other words even though a tough call might go against a particular team IMO it's important to start the day off in a friendly manner.

Some umpires come across as stoic and won't even allow a coach to question anything. Now there are times when enough is enough but we should be approachable and not get bent out of shape every time a coach questions us.

Also, don't be Overly officious. Example; In FED unlike OBR if F1 takes his sign while not on the rubber and there are men/ women on base it is a Balk. But even the FED official will not enforce this the first time out. If he /she does IMO the wrong tone is set. Yes, technically in FED it's balk but as mentioned most will give a warning ala OBR.

It also helps to be friendly to one's partner and not be demeaning etc. Some umpires want to take charge right off the bat and couldn't care less what you think. That sets a bad tone right from the get go.

I think we are starting to see umpires have fun, especially in the minor leagues. We had a thread recently on umpires dancing etc. Some didn't like that and said an umpire loses credibility by doing such antics and I disagree with that. It's nice to see umpires especially in the minors having fun.

These guys / gals travel a lot and it's nice to see them relax and have some fun out there.

In conclusion what do you do to have Fun and if the game stops being Fun will you look for something else.

Pete Booth
Old Sat Sep 28, 2002, 02:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to etbaseball Send a message via Yahoo to etbaseball
Pete -

I'm amazed that nobody's responding. When I initially read your thread I thought "this is a no brainer." I expected many to respond right away. I feel honored to break the ice and be the first to respond. Please forgive this short essay.

I played ball from the very early age of 5, probably before that as well, until about age 27. I was fairly accomplished and considered to be a pretty good right handed pitcher. Maddox like, even though my strike out numbers were more like Pedro Martinez. I was a control freak. I could, and still can hit the glove no matter what the pitch or location. If you could call and 83 MPH fastball a fastball, then I had a fastball, curve, drop, change and 'screw ball." What's more interesting though is the how and why I was sucessfull. In addition to location, location and location, I had command of all my pitches. Being son number 4 of 8 boys (only) born into our family I had many tutors. I learned at a very early age that it was not what you had, but, more importantly, how you used it.

As an example I threw a curve ball at different speeds and different arm angles. In reality it would be six different views for the batter. The other pitches were more straight forward, but always used selectively. I was taught to analyze the batter and the position he took in the box. I learned how to find a batter's weak spot and then exploit it with what I had in my bag of tricks. In a word I learned to pitch 'smart.' Not to many youngsters can say (and prove if necessary) that they struck out 17 of 18 little league batters in a post season tournament game, but lost 1-0 on three sucessive defensive throwing errors. A 'no hitter' but a loss, nonetheless. Baseball can sometimes be very cruel.

For sometime now I have been convinced that each and every one of us is better at something in this world than most everybody else. For me, as it was then, is now, and probably will always be, it's baseball. The thrill of competing on a level playing field, not knowing what may happen at any given moment, and putting forth every ounce of effort that one has, respecting your fellow competitors and their skills, and not necessarily looking for a win, but always wanting to do your best is what it's all about.
In Little League, high school, American Legion, college and semi-pro it was always the same. Go out there and do your best, put it on the line and let the chips fall where they may.

Many of my contemporaries, who played major league ball, were amazed that I never did make it to the 'show.' Tony C. and Wilbur Wood were two and there were others. I guess the answer as to why not, lies in the verse of Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken." "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."

I've played ball for many years, I've coached for a decade or so, and for the last nine years I've been blue. About 1300 games blue, Pony (13-18), high school, Am. Legion, Jr. college, D-1, and I've even officiated 4 'Ladies Professional League' ball, here in the San Jose area. It's obvious to me now, that the person who recruited me into umpiring must have recognized my love of the game. It's been in my blood since birth. The very first JV high school game I worked, I'm glad it's not on tape, was probably not very good. The coaches and players didn't seem to notice if I was good or bad, they only saw a man 50 years of age that seemed to absolutely love what he was doing. I can remember my very first impression after I called out "play ball." I said to myself, this is the best seat in the house, and I'm an important pricipal of this contest, here to make certain that the game is played fairly. All this pleasure and I get paid too? Wow! Life dosen't get much better than this.

Each game when I open my car trunk to start "strapping it on" I read the following piece that is tape to the underside of my trunk lid.

"In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer part of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base,' a certain game of ball ... Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms ... The game of ball is glorious."
Walt Whitman, 1846.

Pete, perhaps I've labored the point, and maybe "fun" is not necessarily the focus, but fulfillment is. It's true I've been accused many times of being the one individual on the field who is happier, and more satisfied, with being present and greatfull for having the opportunity of staying involved and connected to the game of ball. My inspiration to umpire began with meeting a former major leaguer, from the late 20's early 30's, by the name of Hal "Goodie" Rosen. (May he rest in peace) While playing adult league ball he umpired several of our games during one season. He was 81 years old at that time (1987?). He absolutely loved what he was doing, and did it amazingly well for a man of his age. I only hope that I may continue, as he did, and be able to "strap it on" until the day I die.

I can't think of anything else in life that brings me more pleasure than being there, between the lines, observing youngsters doing what I once did. To me the game of ball is as Walt Whitman said .... 'GLORIOUS!

[Edited by etbaseball on Sep 28th, 2002 at 03:08 AM]
Old Sat Sep 28, 2002, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Talking It's always Fun

Pete, the fun of the game itself, I really enjoy making the pitchers look good on any given day,nothing really high or low but white,black and and some brown stuff near the black work's for me, people don't come to watch a pitcher walk every other batter, they want to watch little henry hitting the ball, if Pete the pitcher is throwing chuck the catcher is framing the ball thats readably hittable,I'm calling strikes, Willie the walker don't get no free ride token's on my amusement ride unless Pete blows it, this only takes about one inning for them to see the whole concept the fun part is getting your lick's in on Pete, swing the bat,

this is the most fun in the men's twilight or naba games, uh, boy's if you want to look at pitches the batting cages are up the road,"oh, you think that's a ball, well
classes for umpire school start in January, and after you start umpiring you'll be calling that pitch a strike too"
the way I figure the game is only Three people are working every pitch of the game, Pete, chuck, and me. I know not every one will always's be happy so I try to keep the guy's who are working happy the players who come into the batters box are just visiting for a short while, the biggest kick is when the grumbling start's in the dugout and chuckie and Pete start to defend you to the other players, as to how well your doing and not to mess it up for them, beside's who likes to be in the field forever

By the fifth or sixth inning the player's are calling themselves out on third strike for taking a hittable pitch
that they know I will ring it up, now that's fun to watch,someone or team has to lose the game, I make sure that happens. The winner's win on their own merit's by hitting the ball and being aggressive, they earn the victory with their bats not by "ball 4 take your base". A bases loaded 3-2 count, unless its such a bad pitch that you can't hit it you better be ready to hit it or foul it off, I do not work for mass transit boy's swing the bat, that's the fun of the game for me watching some one take Pete deep or rope it to the field. I really like seeing a batter t-off on the pitch.

And working as a team with veteran umpire having his back and him having mine, the parking lot review of the game then the oral diarrhea that follows of other games and fellow ump's actions that they have worked with, our H.S. board has just under 200 umpires, not counting junior umpires u-18 or guy who only do babe Ruth and the like, more gossip than any soap opera lol but really a close nit group of guy's.

mac

[Edited by MAC on Sep 28th, 2002 at 05:12 PM]
Old Sat Sep 28, 2002, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Pete

I think we are talking about two different things here from the other thread. I have no problem with umpires enjoying themselves. In fact, I agree that if you are not, you should be doing something else.

What I have an issue with is the silly displays that umpires are now engaging in for entertainment value (the dancing at LLWS is a good example as are the minor league antics). This is no different than the other "look at me" behaviors which fall in this category such as touchdown dances. I realize that these are now popular in our astonishingly egocentric culture, but I see no need for it in an umpire's set of behaviors.

I will say again what I said before. Do your job, do it well, smile about it, talk to the players if you want to, even joke with the crowd a little between innings if it makes sense for the situation you are in (i.e. close knit LL group who all know each other). However, I draw the line at the preplanned displays that serve no purpose to forwarding the game.

The umpire is not an entertainer. He is the sole authority on the field and, if he wants to get any respect from fans, coaches and player, then he needs to treat the office with respect.

All that having been said, I fully admit that I am a dinosaur and simply do not understand 90% of what I see going on around me. I was raised in an era where a man's self respect was considered to be of extraordinary value and this is clearly no longer the case in our world. So, take all of the above with a grain of salt.
Old Mon Sep 30, 2002, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Pete--

I started umpiring when I was 13 simply because I was a terrible player but loved the game. I started doing Little League and have gone up through the ranks of youth leagues, high school, men's leagues, and even some small college games. I agree the game has to be fun. I think that everyone,at MOST levels, expects it to be fun. Sure, you're going to run into those who have the "win at all costs" attitude even down in T-Ball, but I hope those are few and far between.

I do, however, also agree with the last poster (David, I think), who says that there is rarely a time for an umpire to participate in the precontrived "show" that some organizations seem to put on. The game is the show, and I think people are getting away from that. Everyone has become too involved in the instant gratification that seems so prevalent in our society, and they don't want to seem to sit back, watch the game, and enjoy baseball just for the baseball itself. Nothing, or almost nothing, is finer than sitting in the stands on a warm summer day watching a good game of baseball.

I think that I've got off topic pretty quickly here, but I do believe that baseball in and of itself is fun. Being able to be on a field and watch people play a game and to even be paid for it is almost an honour. Those who consider it only a job are those who aren't able to see the big picture of life. I took a few years off from umpiring about 5-6 years ago, and, now, I can see just how much I missed it and how special it really is.

Cheers,
Brad
Old Mon Sep 30, 2002, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally posted by brandda
What I have an issue with is the silly displays that umpires are now engaging in for entertainment value (the dancing at LLWS is a good example as are the minor league antics). This is no different than the other "look at me" behaviors which fall in this category such as touchdown dances. I realize that these are now popular in our astonishingly egocentric culture, but I see no need for it in an umpire's set of behaviors.

I will say again what I said before. Do your job, do it well, smile about it, talk to the players if you want to, even joke with the crowd a little between innings if it makes sense for the situation you are in (i.e. close knit LL group who all know each other). However, I draw the line at the preplanned displays that serve no purpose to forwarding the game.
I can't hold my tongue on this one. I have to set the record straight.

I am so tired of hearing your misleading comments about the LLWS umpires dancing with Dugout. Your misrepresentation of why they do that is simply unfair, and I cannot stand to allow your inaccurate statements to go without response. I've explained all this to you once already, so you can't plead ignorance. I can only guess that you get a certain glee in mischaracterizing what those umpires are doing.

Once again, they dance with Dugout because they are asked to. They are asked to do it in order to deflate the tensions that arise when 12-year-olds take part in such a huge event. It's about 12-year-olds who are feeling more pressure at 12 than they are likely to feel in their entire lives. They see that the adult umpires and coaches are able to cut loose and have fun, and that does a tremendous job at putting them at ease so they can cut loose and have fun. And if ESPN hadn't decided to air such footage, you would never even have known they were doing it.

It isn't about a, "look at me," behavior. It isn't about becoming a part of any show. It isn't about entertainment value. It's about helping 12-year-olds relax and have fun in the biggest event of their lives. I'm certain a majority of the umpires who have danced the YMCA in center field with Dugout really didn't want to do it. But they did it for the good of the kids. Yes, they are forwarding the game - very much so.
Old Mon Sep 30, 2002, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to etbaseball Send a message via Yahoo to etbaseball
Jim -

Thank you for your comments, again, in support of what was the intent behind umpire participation at the LL world series. I, too, have witnessed this along with other minor league entertainment displays and do not in any way, shape or form associate it with unprofessional behavior. Doesn't anyone remember the days when spectators cried out 'KILL THE UMP" and meant it. To humanize the arbiter's role seems to make more sence to me. To imply that it has impact on critical game decisions is pure nonsence.

It behooves me to think that there are some umpires out there that view themselves, and thier job as an umpire, in such a lofty way that one would think that they were a Supreme Court Justice or a Noble Prize winning scientist.

Is it insecurity that prevails here, to have such an opinion, that certain behavior is beneath an umpire and it makes their job more difficult to administer? Sounds like and smells like BS to me. I'll say this, if 'self interest' is more important than the product being delivered, somebody's in the wrong business, particularly when dealing with younsters playing the GAME of ball. Do they think people are that dumb that they cannot seperate one activity from the other?

Isn't it ironic? Baseball is just a game. Webster's New World Dictionary, Third College Edition, defines "GAME" as "any form of play or way of playing; amusement; recreation; sport; frolic; play."

Show me an umpire that's so adamant towards this type of activity and I'll show you an umpire that probably doesn't have an open mind, on or off the playing field. And, most certainly, an umpire I would not want to be working with.

Old Mon Sep 30, 2002, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

In my opinion, too many umpires spend too many years studying all of the rules, but forgetting the first and most important one.

OBR 1.01 - Baseball is a game
Old Tue Oct 01, 2002, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Jim - I don't care if the pope asked them to do it. It was absurd and made them look like fools. Had I been asked to participate, I would have declined citing a lack of desire to embarrass my league and my family.

As to the rest - I agree that it is a game. What I can't figure out is what does dancing have to do with the game of baseball? The answer - nothing.
Old Tue Oct 01, 2002, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Man, you must be a riot at parties.
Old Tue Oct 01, 2002, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

OK,

Why must umpiring be "fun"?

I never considered umpiring fun once in 33 years.

It is a job that needs to be done well.

I umpire for two reasons:

1) Money,

2) Power.

Makes things simple.

I worked hard, trained hard and studied hard to be the best umpire I could be. Fun never was part of the equation.

I am glad that many of you want to have fun. I am glad that you want umpiring to be part of the "game". We need that . . . we need all types of people and opinions to make umpiring grow and improve.

While I support those of you that want umpiring to be fun I ask that you respect that not ALL of us should "quit" if we don't find it fun.

Last point, while I agree with Dave Brand and think it looks silly for an umpire to dance between innings I will support anyone rights to act as they wish when working their own game.

I don't take stuff so seriously that I think it is the end of umpiring if an umpire agrees to be the center of a joke with the "Chicken" . . . just don't ask me to do it!
Old Tue Oct 01, 2002, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

You know what Tim, you are right. If these guys want to make idiots out of themselves, so be it. I think I'll just worry about me and mine.
Old Tue Oct 01, 2002, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Jim and Tim both make excellent points especially Tim and the one about power. Boy, don't we all like the little bit of power that comes with this job. If one uses it wisely it doesn't become a problem. Unfortunately, umps with too much power can give the rest of us a bad name. I personally don't understand how umping isn't fun to you but "to each his own" I say.

Now David, calling those guys fools and idiots is really not necessary. As a matter of fact one of those "idiots" just happens to be a former MP I served with in Germany. I lost touch with him but fortunately I recognized his "foolishness" on TV and did some investigative work and found out where he lives. Trust me, he's not an idiot. Remember David, when you're pointing a finger at people calling them names you have 4 other fingers pointing right back at you. My point is that a few months back, during your quest to become a senior member, I could have easily labeled many of your posts the same way. Because if memory serves me correctly many a senior member had to fix your confusing and inaccurate posts.
Old Tue Oct 01, 2002, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Tee,

You forgot to add that you never worked small diamond ball, so doing something to help 12-year-old players cope with tremendous stress is something you've never been faced with.

I umpire for money, too. But I don't do it for power. In fact, I find the most undesirable part of my job is when I have to assert my authority. I don't like to, but I sometimes have to. I don't enjoy it.

I would much rather call a nice, easy-going game where the participants have fun, and in turn I have fun. I must say, that's the vast majority of games I work.
Old Tue Oct 01, 2002, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe the hyperbole is the source of the communications problem. Dancing with the chicken does not make the umpire a fool or an idiot. Refraining from such dancing out of a personal belief that it's not appropriate does not make the umpire a wet blanket or some kind of personality cipher. It does not mean the umpire lacks an open mind. It does not mean he is psychologically insecure or has doubts about his masculinity. It does not mean he umpires because he enjoys exerting power and control over others.

I would not dance with the chicken. If they told me I could ump the LLWS as long as I danced with the chicken, I'd turn them down.

If I hit a home run, I would not blow kisses to the crowd as I ran around the bases. If I scored a touchdown, I would not do a dance. The culture I grew up in—social as well as athletic—frowned upon displaying emotion in public, making a spectacle of yourself, or showing anyone up. Those actions violate all three principles.

When my brother sacked the quarterback in an important high school game, he took a bow. The crowd loved it. Cheers, laughter, everybody loosened up and got rid of their hang-ups for a while, and 25 years later I STILL hear about it. His coach didn't love it, nor did I, nor did his father.

Other cultures are different.