View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 26, 2002, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

For most of us we will probably not make it to the Big Time and IMO umpiring should be fun. When it's not fun anymore it's time for something else.

When I first started umpiring IMO I was way too serious. I was just learning at the time and really wasn't enjoying myself. At the end of the first season I said to myself "is this really worth it"

I started in LL as many do out of necessity. You know you have coaches/ players / Fans but 1 or 2 mising ingredients namely umpires. When someone asks does anybody want to umpire it's like a plague or something. So I donated my time.

After that first year, I decided to be more of myself and while I have a job to do on the field it should be fun as well. I adopt that philosophy whether I'm umpiring a scrimmage game in the early part of year or a sectional at the end.

Just like when we played we need to be calm and not be too anxious etc. Some of things I do is talk to players / coaches. I know some umpires frown on this, but that's me. I talked when I was a player and I talk now. In other words even though a tough call might go against a particular team IMO it's important to start the day off in a friendly manner.

Some umpires come across as stoic and won't even allow a coach to question anything. Now there are times when enough is enough but we should be approachable and not get bent out of shape every time a coach questions us.

Also, don't be Overly officious. Example; In FED unlike OBR if F1 takes his sign while not on the rubber and there are men/ women on base it is a Balk. But even the FED official will not enforce this the first time out. If he /she does IMO the wrong tone is set. Yes, technically in FED it's balk but as mentioned most will give a warning ala OBR.

It also helps to be friendly to one's partner and not be demeaning etc. Some umpires want to take charge right off the bat and couldn't care less what you think. That sets a bad tone right from the get go.

I think we are starting to see umpires have fun, especially in the minor leagues. We had a thread recently on umpires dancing etc. Some didn't like that and said an umpire loses credibility by doing such antics and I disagree with that. It's nice to see umpires especially in the minors having fun.

These guys / gals travel a lot and it's nice to see them relax and have some fun out there.

In conclusion what do you do to have Fun and if the game stops being Fun will you look for something else.

Pete Booth