View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 28, 2002, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Talking It's always Fun

Pete, the fun of the game itself, I really enjoy making the pitchers look good on any given day,nothing really high or low but white,black and and some brown stuff near the black work's for me, people don't come to watch a pitcher walk every other batter, they want to watch little henry hitting the ball, if Pete the pitcher is throwing chuck the catcher is framing the ball thats readably hittable,I'm calling strikes, Willie the walker don't get no free ride token's on my amusement ride unless Pete blows it, this only takes about one inning for them to see the whole concept the fun part is getting your lick's in on Pete, swing the bat,

this is the most fun in the men's twilight or naba games, uh, boy's if you want to look at pitches the batting cages are up the road,"oh, you think that's a ball, well
classes for umpire school start in January, and after you start umpiring you'll be calling that pitch a strike too"
the way I figure the game is only Three people are working every pitch of the game, Pete, chuck, and me. I know not every one will always's be happy so I try to keep the guy's who are working happy the players who come into the batters box are just visiting for a short while, the biggest kick is when the grumbling start's in the dugout and chuckie and Pete start to defend you to the other players, as to how well your doing and not to mess it up for them, beside's who likes to be in the field forever

By the fifth or sixth inning the player's are calling themselves out on third strike for taking a hittable pitch
that they know I will ring it up, now that's fun to watch,someone or team has to lose the game, I make sure that happens. The winner's win on their own merit's by hitting the ball and being aggressive, they earn the victory with their bats not by "ball 4 take your base". A bases loaded 3-2 count, unless its such a bad pitch that you can't hit it you better be ready to hit it or foul it off, I do not work for mass transit boy's swing the bat, that's the fun of the game for me watching some one take Pete deep or rope it to the field. I really like seeing a batter t-off on the pitch.

And working as a team with veteran umpire having his back and him having mine, the parking lot review of the game then the oral diarrhea that follows of other games and fellow ump's actions that they have worked with, our H.S. board has just under 200 umpires, not counting junior umpires u-18 or guy who only do babe Ruth and the like, more gossip than any soap opera lol but really a close nit group of guy's.

mac

[Edited by MAC on Sep 28th, 2002 at 05:12 PM]