View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 28, 2002, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Pete

I think we are talking about two different things here from the other thread. I have no problem with umpires enjoying themselves. In fact, I agree that if you are not, you should be doing something else.

What I have an issue with is the silly displays that umpires are now engaging in for entertainment value (the dancing at LLWS is a good example as are the minor league antics). This is no different than the other "look at me" behaviors which fall in this category such as touchdown dances. I realize that these are now popular in our astonishingly egocentric culture, but I see no need for it in an umpire's set of behaviors.

I will say again what I said before. Do your job, do it well, smile about it, talk to the players if you want to, even joke with the crowd a little between innings if it makes sense for the situation you are in (i.e. close knit LL group who all know each other). However, I draw the line at the preplanned displays that serve no purpose to forwarding the game.

The umpire is not an entertainer. He is the sole authority on the field and, if he wants to get any respect from fans, coaches and player, then he needs to treat the office with respect.

All that having been said, I fully admit that I am a dinosaur and simply do not understand 90% of what I see going on around me. I was raised in an era where a man's self respect was considered to be of extraordinary value and this is clearly no longer the case in our world. So, take all of the above with a grain of salt.