View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 30, 2002, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally posted by brandda
What I have an issue with is the silly displays that umpires are now engaging in for entertainment value (the dancing at LLWS is a good example as are the minor league antics). This is no different than the other "look at me" behaviors which fall in this category such as touchdown dances. I realize that these are now popular in our astonishingly egocentric culture, but I see no need for it in an umpire's set of behaviors.

I will say again what I said before. Do your job, do it well, smile about it, talk to the players if you want to, even joke with the crowd a little between innings if it makes sense for the situation you are in (i.e. close knit LL group who all know each other). However, I draw the line at the preplanned displays that serve no purpose to forwarding the game.
I can't hold my tongue on this one. I have to set the record straight.

I am so tired of hearing your misleading comments about the LLWS umpires dancing with Dugout. Your misrepresentation of why they do that is simply unfair, and I cannot stand to allow your inaccurate statements to go without response. I've explained all this to you once already, so you can't plead ignorance. I can only guess that you get a certain glee in mischaracterizing what those umpires are doing.

Once again, they dance with Dugout because they are asked to. They are asked to do it in order to deflate the tensions that arise when 12-year-olds take part in such a huge event. It's about 12-year-olds who are feeling more pressure at 12 than they are likely to feel in their entire lives. They see that the adult umpires and coaches are able to cut loose and have fun, and that does a tremendous job at putting them at ease so they can cut loose and have fun. And if ESPN hadn't decided to air such footage, you would never even have known they were doing it.

It isn't about a, "look at me," behavior. It isn't about becoming a part of any show. It isn't about entertainment value. It's about helping 12-year-olds relax and have fun in the biggest event of their lives. I'm certain a majority of the umpires who have danced the YMCA in center field with Dugout really didn't want to do it. But they did it for the good of the kids. Yes, they are forwarding the game - very much so.