View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 01, 2002, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Jim

First, rather than "amping up" the conversation I would rather just speak of my personal philosophy.

Many times umpire attitude mirrors life. That is the way it is with me.

I think we can disagree without a personal battle so I'll mention just a few things:

1) My reference to "Chicken" was a universal term meaning any type on field demonstration. This would include dancing to music, playing games with a mascot, or just about anything that, in my opinion, detracts from the game.

2) Jim, you are aware I don't work Small diamond ball and the attitude of "taking the pressure off the kids" to me, in my personal opinion, is pure poppycock. This liberal argument simply shows where education and up bringing children has gone.

3) Asserting power is part of the process of umpiring. Especially in a Small Diamond environment showing the example of power, rules and respect should be considered an integral part of the game. By watching the LL World Series it obviously isn't important to that organization.

4) In my opinion the one thing sport "should" teach is to be competative. The will to work towards a goal, the discipline of giving up the "easy" stuff to get your lunch stuffed down your throat, the understanding of giving to a greater cause, ALL are what sports are about to me. In my opinion umpires have a responsibility to teach coaches, players and fans. That teaching is some time sudden and complete . . . that is much like life.

5) I enjoy umpiring. I enjoy the challenge. I enjoy seeing the efforts of my long time training come to a just conclusion. I enjoy the team work displayed by a well oiled umpire crew.

But umpiring, like going to the office every day, is WORK. I enjoy working.

I posted that people should have the right of self determination. I believe that . . . if you want to dance with "Dugout" (and I have no clue what that is) then do it.

I select not to do those type things at least respect that.