View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 30, 2002, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Pete--

I started umpiring when I was 13 simply because I was a terrible player but loved the game. I started doing Little League and have gone up through the ranks of youth leagues, high school, men's leagues, and even some small college games. I agree the game has to be fun. I think that everyone,at MOST levels, expects it to be fun. Sure, you're going to run into those who have the "win at all costs" attitude even down in T-Ball, but I hope those are few and far between.

I do, however, also agree with the last poster (David, I think), who says that there is rarely a time for an umpire to participate in the precontrived "show" that some organizations seem to put on. The game is the show, and I think people are getting away from that. Everyone has become too involved in the instant gratification that seems so prevalent in our society, and they don't want to seem to sit back, watch the game, and enjoy baseball just for the baseball itself. Nothing, or almost nothing, is finer than sitting in the stands on a warm summer day watching a good game of baseball.

I think that I've got off topic pretty quickly here, but I do believe that baseball in and of itself is fun. Being able to be on a field and watch people play a game and to even be paid for it is almost an honour. Those who consider it only a job are those who aren't able to see the big picture of life. I took a few years off from umpiring about 5-6 years ago, and, now, I can see just how much I missed it and how special it really is.

Cheers,
Brad