View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 28, 2002, 02:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to etbaseball Send a message via Yahoo to etbaseball
Pete -

I'm amazed that nobody's responding. When I initially read your thread I thought "this is a no brainer." I expected many to respond right away. I feel honored to break the ice and be the first to respond. Please forgive this short essay.

I played ball from the very early age of 5, probably before that as well, until about age 27. I was fairly accomplished and considered to be a pretty good right handed pitcher. Maddox like, even though my strike out numbers were more like Pedro Martinez. I was a control freak. I could, and still can hit the glove no matter what the pitch or location. If you could call and 83 MPH fastball a fastball, then I had a fastball, curve, drop, change and 'screw ball." What's more interesting though is the how and why I was sucessfull. In addition to location, location and location, I had command of all my pitches. Being son number 4 of 8 boys (only) born into our family I had many tutors. I learned at a very early age that it was not what you had, but, more importantly, how you used it.

As an example I threw a curve ball at different speeds and different arm angles. In reality it would be six different views for the batter. The other pitches were more straight forward, but always used selectively. I was taught to analyze the batter and the position he took in the box. I learned how to find a batter's weak spot and then exploit it with what I had in my bag of tricks. In a word I learned to pitch 'smart.' Not to many youngsters can say (and prove if necessary) that they struck out 17 of 18 little league batters in a post season tournament game, but lost 1-0 on three sucessive defensive throwing errors. A 'no hitter' but a loss, nonetheless. Baseball can sometimes be very cruel.

For sometime now I have been convinced that each and every one of us is better at something in this world than most everybody else. For me, as it was then, is now, and probably will always be, it's baseball. The thrill of competing on a level playing field, not knowing what may happen at any given moment, and putting forth every ounce of effort that one has, respecting your fellow competitors and their skills, and not necessarily looking for a win, but always wanting to do your best is what it's all about.
In Little League, high school, American Legion, college and semi-pro it was always the same. Go out there and do your best, put it on the line and let the chips fall where they may.

Many of my contemporaries, who played major league ball, were amazed that I never did make it to the 'show.' Tony C. and Wilbur Wood were two and there were others. I guess the answer as to why not, lies in the verse of Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken." "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."

I've played ball for many years, I've coached for a decade or so, and for the last nine years I've been blue. About 1300 games blue, Pony (13-18), high school, Am. Legion, Jr. college, D-1, and I've even officiated 4 'Ladies Professional League' ball, here in the San Jose area. It's obvious to me now, that the person who recruited me into umpiring must have recognized my love of the game. It's been in my blood since birth. The very first JV high school game I worked, I'm glad it's not on tape, was probably not very good. The coaches and players didn't seem to notice if I was good or bad, they only saw a man 50 years of age that seemed to absolutely love what he was doing. I can remember my very first impression after I called out "play ball." I said to myself, this is the best seat in the house, and I'm an important pricipal of this contest, here to make certain that the game is played fairly. All this pleasure and I get paid too? Wow! Life dosen't get much better than this.

Each game when I open my car trunk to start "strapping it on" I read the following piece that is tape to the underside of my trunk lid.

"In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer part of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base,' a certain game of ball ... Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms ... The game of ball is glorious."
Walt Whitman, 1846.

Pete, perhaps I've labored the point, and maybe "fun" is not necessarily the focus, but fulfillment is. It's true I've been accused many times of being the one individual on the field who is happier, and more satisfied, with being present and greatfull for having the opportunity of staying involved and connected to the game of ball. My inspiration to umpire began with meeting a former major leaguer, from the late 20's early 30's, by the name of Hal "Goodie" Rosen. (May he rest in peace) While playing adult league ball he umpired several of our games during one season. He was 81 years old at that time (1987?). He absolutely loved what he was doing, and did it amazingly well for a man of his age. I only hope that I may continue, as he did, and be able to "strap it on" until the day I die.

I can't think of anything else in life that brings me more pleasure than being there, between the lines, observing youngsters doing what I once did. To me the game of ball is as Walt Whitman said .... 'GLORIOUS!

[Edited by etbaseball on Sep 28th, 2002 at 03:08 AM]