View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 30, 2002, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to etbaseball Send a message via Yahoo to etbaseball
Jim -

Thank you for your comments, again, in support of what was the intent behind umpire participation at the LL world series. I, too, have witnessed this along with other minor league entertainment displays and do not in any way, shape or form associate it with unprofessional behavior. Doesn't anyone remember the days when spectators cried out 'KILL THE UMP" and meant it. To humanize the arbiter's role seems to make more sence to me. To imply that it has impact on critical game decisions is pure nonsence.

It behooves me to think that there are some umpires out there that view themselves, and thier job as an umpire, in such a lofty way that one would think that they were a Supreme Court Justice or a Noble Prize winning scientist.

Is it insecurity that prevails here, to have such an opinion, that certain behavior is beneath an umpire and it makes their job more difficult to administer? Sounds like and smells like BS to me. I'll say this, if 'self interest' is more important than the product being delivered, somebody's in the wrong business, particularly when dealing with younsters playing the GAME of ball. Do they think people are that dumb that they cannot seperate one activity from the other?

Isn't it ironic? Baseball is just a game. Webster's New World Dictionary, Third College Edition, defines "GAME" as "any form of play or way of playing; amusement; recreation; sport; frolic; play."

Show me an umpire that's so adamant towards this type of activity and I'll show you an umpire that probably doesn't have an open mind, on or off the playing field. And, most certainly, an umpire I would not want to be working with.