View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 02, 2002, 11:04am
Veteran College Umpire

I started playing baseball because, at age 6, that's what one did in the circle in which I ran. I excelled, and had a LOT of fun with my peers, and played until the "real world" caught up with me. I was away from the game awhile, but felt the longing for the fun and success I'd enjoyed, so I got into umpiring. It's been 25 years and I'm still enjoying the fun with my peers and the success at my performance. Power? I had it when I played because I was good at the game, and I have it now as an umpire because it is appointed to me as a job responsibility - but it's not why I umpire. I liken it to the cop who carries a gun but never enjoys using it. He gets more of a kick helping people play their "game" of life smoothly. I love the game of baseball - the crack of the bat, the smell of the grass, the excitement of competition in the air, the great plays and players, the old and new ballparks, and the familiar faces season after season. I will miss all of that someday, so I savor it now. Definitely fun. Definitely.