The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
In a later post you say you answered a question. But here you state he disagreed. I made a call Monday night as L. Offensive player in post pushed defender and received an entry pass for an easy bucket. Except for the whistle. Coach said something like "THAT is you first call?" Of course it wasn't. And if he had asked what was the foul I would have answered him. It would not have served any purpose to engage him. Did not have any problems with him the balance of the game. But it sounds like you went over to offer free advice. Comments are either ignored or whistled if there has been ABS. It does you no good to go looking for the coach to explain something.
I didn't go looking.

He didn't like my call, and so he asked me about it.

Why is this so hard to understand?
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 12:44pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
I didn't go looking.

You did not state he asked a question till a later post. Maybe the 'communication' issue is not just with coaches. Just sayin'.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You did not state he asked a question till a later post. Maybe the 'communication' issue is not just with coaches. Just sayin'.

Clarification is part of communication. Maybe you need to work on reading comprehension before you criticize my communication skills. I had already stated that the coach asked a question before your diatribe.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 01:02pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Clarification is part of communication. Maybe you need to work on reading comprehension before you criticize my communication skills. I had already stated that the coach asked a question before your diatribe.
You said, "Well, B coach isn't please with my call. Normally, I would ignore him and talk to my partner during the break between quarters, but, trying to take your (and others' advice), I go over to talk to him. I'm calm, I'm pleasant, I explain to him that his player jumped INTO the other player, therefore there's no foul even though there was contact."

What post was it where you said he asked a question?

Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 01:15pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
You said, "Well, B coach isn't please with my call. Normally, I would ignore him and talk to my partner during the break between quarters, but, trying to take your (and others' advice), I go over to talk to him. I'm calm, I'm pleasant, I explain to him that his player jumped INTO the other player, therefore there's no foul even though there was contact."

Given the length of this thread, it is apparent that any response that suggests he might want to change things up is met with resistance. People can get a lot of good advice on this site. If they want it.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Given the length of this thread, it is apparent that any response that suggests he might want to change things up is met with resistance. People can get a lot of good advice on this site. If they want it.
Seriously, do you read any of the posts? Or do you just scan and see what you want to see.?

My initial post today on this thread was about just that. Taking advice I had gotten on here and applying it, and how it didn't do much good, but I'm not going to quit.

But, by all means, keep painting me with that broad brush you seem to value so much.

Last edited by fiasco; Wed Dec 23, 2009 at 01:24pm.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You're a big boy. I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find it.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 01:47pm
Huck Finn

Yes, I am a big boy. Here are some of your highlights from this thread.
Quote:
With under 30 seconds in the first half, I call a foul and as I'm reporting to the table, he is sitting down and kicks the bleacher with the back of his foot as hard as he can. I probably should have dinged him right then as we had already both warned him, but I didn't. I told him, "Coach, that's your final warning." He told me, "No, I can do that because I'm frustrated with my girls, not at your foul calls."

Yeah, right, but I didn't say anything. I was suffering from a misplaced sense of sympathy for his girls, who didn't even have an assistant coach to rely on if this clown got tossed. Shouldn't have been thinking that way, but I was nonetheless.
Quote:
This is why I avoid getting in discussions with coaches. Because you don't understand the role of officials. You think my job out there is to be a robot, and call everything the way you see it, as if I have some magic goggles that allow me to see things from a coach's perspective.

If I literally enforced every rule in the book to the T (no pun intended) as you suggest, you would not recognize the game as "basketball." It would be a free-throw shooting contest.

There is a concept called advantage/disadvantage that you should really learn about. We officials have to master this concept, or we don't last long because coaches like you complain that we never let their girls "play ball."

Like I said, can't win with you guys...
Quote:
I was T on the play next to the benches. He was asking why it was not a foul.
Quote:
I didn't go looking.

Quote:
You're a big boy. I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find it.
So, you made a call in front of the bench as time was expiring. He asked you about it. Remember, you was in front of his bench, his team was playing defense because it was the end of the first quarter. The quarter ends and you "go over" to talk to him because you can tell "coach isn't please with my call."

Well, if he asked you a question and you was right in front of his bench, you shouldn't have needed to go anywhere to answer his question - remember this play happened as time was expiring. But in another post you say you could tell he wasn't happy with your call, which was actually a no-call, so you go to talk to him. Where is the question in that?

Can you tell us what really happened. If we belonged to the same association and you explained this situation to me followed by telling me an evaluator said you did something on the varsity level question marks would pop up.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, if he asked you a question and you was right in front of his bench, .
Where did I say I was in front of his bench? Hmmm?

Reading is FUN-DA-MENTAL.

Last edited by fiasco; Wed Dec 23, 2009 at 01:59pm.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 02:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
End of 1st quarter, I'm T as the clock is expiring. B1 has the ball and jumps into A1, who jumps vertically to block the shot. There is a good amount of contact, but I have nothing, as B1 jumped into A1's vertical space.

Well, B coach isn't please with my call. Normally, I would ignore him and talk to my partner during the break between quarters, but, trying to take your (and others' advice), I go over to talk to him. I'm calm, I'm pleasant, I explain to him that his player jumped INTO the other player, therefore there's no foul even though there was contact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
No need to go over to the coach on a situation like this. If you so happened to be near him and he comments, then yes, a quick and short reply may be appropriate. But don't go out your way to explain, especially a play as basic as the one in question.
Quote:
I was T on the play next to the benches. He was asking why it was not a foul.
After the quarter is over you are no longer the Trail next to the his bench, you should now be somewhere along the division line waiting for the 2nd quarter to start. In your own words you say "I go over to talk to him". That's what my answer to you addresses.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 02:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm telling ya, my biggest strides came when I realized that pleasing the coaches is near the bottom of my list of priorities.

I try to ignore comments, although I'm human and once in a while say something and then realize that the adage about pigs and mud is completely true. Coach is the pig and engaging him without a legitimate question is the mud.

Last night I couldn't help it, though. We had some fast, sloppy play and of course we're 2-person since the school couldn't find another $57.50 for us to have a third (and I don't think working boys varsity for $39 is an answer to that situation) and I call a foul at one end where the kid almost has his arm removed and then nothing on the other where a player is blocked cleanly. My next trip, I'm in the home coach's lap and he says, "I don't know how you can call a foul here and not call one there. He was all over him. How can you miss that?" And I responded with, "It was a clean block, but I can understand you not seeing that so far away." Then the ball went the other way and I was out of there and we never revisited that the rest of the night.

One day I'll put velcro on my lips.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 02:52pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Where did I say I was in front of his bench? Hmmm?

Reading is FUN-DA-MENTAL.
You are right. But when the OP's story changes from post to post confusion follows.

I will say this, if all of this happened in the areas where I have worked and currently work, you wouldn't be nearly ready for a varsity assignment.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 03:14pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
You are right. But when the OP's story changes from post to post confusion follows.

I will say this, if all of this happened in the areas where I have worked and currently work, you wouldn't be nearly ready for a varsity assignment.
Amazing how this can vary from area to area, isn't it?
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I didn't go looking.

It's called a rhetorical question. Stop defending the coach.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 03:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
He laughs at me (nothing outrageous, more of a sarcastic chuckle), rolls his eyes, and says "whatever." He is ice cold to me the rest of the game.
My take? It worked. I'm guessing that "ice cold" means he didn't speak to you. You answered his question. He doesn't have to like it, but now he knows you at least saw the play. His response was classic teenage defensive.