The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Question Questioning my call

I made this call a few months back and I had forgotten about it, but I'd like to get varying opinions. I do realize that I might get hammered for this, but nonetheless...

On a rebound, player B1 has about a foot in-between the player he is responsible for, A1. B1 is between A1 and the basket as the ball comes to them. Its a little too high for B1's current position, headed over his head to A1 (who hasn't moved at all mind you). A1 goes straight up, and B1 jumps backwards and draws some contact with A1. B1 gets the rebound, and I tweet my whistle. Foul on B1.

HC for Team B is not happy, and proceeds to tell me "OK, your wrong on this one." (added just for emphasis).
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 03:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Did the contact displace or impede A1 at all? If not, no call. If yes, B1 is responsible for the contact so it may have been a good call.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer
I made this call a few months back and I had forgotten about it, but I'd like to get varying opinions. I do realize that I might get hammered for this, but nonetheless...

On a rebound, player B1 has about a foot in-between the player he is responsible for, A1. B1 is between A1 and the basket as the ball comes to them. Its a little too high for B1's current position, headed over his head to A1 (who hasn't moved at all mind you). A1 goes straight up, and B1 jumps backwards and draws some contact with A1. B1 gets the rebound, and I tweet my whistle. Foul on B1.

HC for Team B is not happy, and proceeds to tell me "OK, your wrong on this one." (added just for emphasis).
Did the contact initiated by B1 put A1 at a disadvantage? I would have to see the play. Apparently you felt that B1's contact put A1 at a disadvantage and that's why we are paid to make those determinations.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 03:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

The issue is verticality and you cannot jump into someone else’s space and displace another player. I was not there and I cannot tell you if the contact was minor and incidental or major and necessary to call. Then again if players are very close together, I might decide to leave it alone. Then again that is just speculation on my part.

And I would not put too much stock into what the coach says. They think a player that has “position” can do whatever they want and it is legal. I would not question your call based on that logic.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The contact is caused by B1 getting into position for a rebound. A1 is entitled to his/her vertical space....good call if you thought there was enough disadvantage.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Tough one, have to see it. I may have passed, but just my two cents.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 03:11pm
We don't rent pigs

Too many people, coaches included, think that if a player has inside position, it is impossible for him/her to commit a foul.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Too many people, coaches included, think that if a player has inside position, it is impossible for him/her to commit a foul.
...even more believe that if a player gets the rebound from behind the player with inside position he must have been over the back!
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

You definetly have to see the play, its so tough to respond to posts like these, but all thoughts are well appreciated. I wanted to omit this in the OP because I felt it would take the replies in an unintended direction, but my thoughts now are that I should have just let it go. The contact was so minor that my quick whistle got me in trouble. I've been trying to be more patient and see the whole play develop, and if I had that time it would have been just another routine play.

In the future though, if there is enough contact and an advantage is had, I'll much more confident in my call.

Thanks guys (and gals).
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

I'm reading B1 with inside position broke his vertical plane and went into A1's plane causing contact...not seeing the contact, you have what you need to make the call IF the contact placed A1 at a disadvantage...If A1 truly went straight up in his plane, and B1's contact caused A1 to be at a disadvantage, this is a good call (again, not having see the contact, it's hard to say). If it was minor as you indicated and no adv/disadv then let em play....
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

From what you describe it was a good call.

What if A1 undercuts B1 causing a push from behind by B1? Would you call the foul on B1?

A1 is driving towards the basket beats B1. B2 is the help defender establish LGP jumps straight up within his/her vertical plane A1 draws contact in the torso of B2 what's the call?

Hint: B2 doesn't have to stay on the floor.