The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Saw a game play on TV recently:

A1 with the ball in his front court, tried to pass the ball to A2 who was also in front court, but the ball was deflected by B1 a little bit. A2 tried to salvage the ball but only bumped the ball to his back court. then A2 ran across the mid-court line and secured the ball.

Backcourt! but where was the whistle? the game went on as if nothing had happened.

So now you know it was one of the NBA games. Those officials are bad, as we all know, but how come the team B coach did not go crazy?

Only later I found out that the defination of "team control" were different between NBA and NCAA, or NFHS, etc. In NBA rules, the "team control" also ends "when opponent(s) deflect the ball". (is this a recent change or has it been that way all along?)

I could not help wondering which ruling was better, or which ruling matched the spirit of this sport better?

In above case, if it happens in a high school or college game, team A simply can do nothing to prevent team B from getting the ball first, even though it was not exactly their fault to put themselves into such situation. So why do NCAA and NFHS keep the detailed backcourt ruling the way it is?

Thanks.

Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

For starters - We do not all know that NBA officials are bad.

They are instructed to call games a certain way the same as how different conferences want their games called. If they were indeed bad like you say they are, there would be no way that they would still be getting paid what they do to officiate at the highest level.

In Fed play, the only thing A can do is touch the ball in the backcourt and have a violation instead of letting B get the ball and score an easy layup.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ysong

A1 with the ball in his front court, tried to pass the ball to A2 who was also in front court, but the ball was deflected by B1 a little bit. A2 tried to salvage the ball but only bumped the ball to his back court. then A2 ran across the mid-court line and secured the ball.

Backcourt! but where was the whistle? the game went on as if nothing had happened.

So now you know it was one of the NBA games. Those officials are bad, as we all know, but how come the team B coach did not go crazy?

Only later I found out that the defination of "team control" were different between NBA and NCAA, or NFHS, etc. In NBA rules, the "team control" also ends "when opponent(s) deflect the ball". (is this a recent change or has it been that way all along?)

I could not help wondering which ruling was better, or which ruling matched the spirit of this sport better?

In above case, if it happens in a high school or college game, team A simply can do nothing to prevent team B from getting the ball first, even though it was not exactly their fault to put themselves into such situation. So why do NCAA and NFHS keep the detailed backcourt ruling the way it is?

Thanks.
Is it possible you can get this translated to English & repost it?

TIA
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

How are NBA officials bad? They are the best at what they do....
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 04:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Those officials are bad, as we all know,....
Based upon your false assumption:
G'nite, ysong.
For this thread, ... you are the weakest link.
mick
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks.

Just think of it as a good defensive play.

Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
G'nite, ysong.
mick
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

For your information you can not use the same line that someone else has already used on you without giving them credit for it. I also realize that you would not recognize it, but that is English.

Now that we have that out of the way. Do you have any other type of comment based upon the answers you were provided with. If not, stop asking or in this case making silly remarks please.

Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 05:15pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

Hey - stop making fun of ysong. At least he didn't post in french!
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Thanks.

TIA
Dear Dan_ref, My English is very poor. Is it possible THAT you (XX CAN) get it translated INTO easy English and post it AGAIN?

BTW, is that the best you can do? How come it seems very low to me?

Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I think ysong is trying to say that he doesn't like the Fed and NCAA backcourt rule. Can we just cut him some slack, and address this issue? We know he's not a fanboy, because he's been posting here from an officials standpoint for several months. He also doesn't understand the NBA. But that's no surprise, is it? I think he might have worded it better, but then English isn't his first language, so let's ignore the twisted syntax and save our vituperation for TubbyRules and his siblings.

ysong -- The backcourt rule is convoluted and difficult, but it hasn't changed much in the last several years, and players just have to learn to work with it. I think it's just a matter of knowing it well enough to manage it. Also, the NBA has the best refs in the world. That's just a fact. I may not agree with this call, or that rule, but they do it the way they're supposed to, or they're done. So they've gotta be very, very good. I don't care much for NBA ball, myself, but I do know that the rules are quite different from Fed and NCAA, so it can be confusing to watch them. Mostly, I just don't.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 05:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
G'nite, ysong.
mick
Okay, I'll try to be more clear.

Your statement: "Those officials are bad, as we all know,....", is incorrect.
  • The inclusive "we" does not pertain to any responder to your post, thus "we" does not apply.
    Your implication that NBA officials are bad is incorrect.
  • NBA officials are at the top of their trade. No official is paid more. No other official works with those great athletes or great coaches or typical fans.
    Your misapplication of "their rule" and prejudgment of those officials was nothing but a typical fan reaction to a lack of knowledge.

mick

Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 05:48pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by Redhouse
    Dear Redhouse:

I deem your remark is very silly. (credit to Mr Redhouse.)

Believe it or not, I started here even earlier than you did, at least by 4 months. So save your "starter" to yourself please, Mr. Senior-Member-with-only-214-posts. You made me laugh.

Who do you think you really are? "We do not all know...", what makes you think you are allowed to represent everybody else and what makes you believe you know what everybody else knows? Give me a break.

Are you always this nice to people whom you believe "starters"? You remind me those schoolyard coward bullies.

Thanks.

Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 05:58pm
    Official Forum Member

FYI, I was not implying that you were a starter.

I was starting by responding to that part of your insane comment about NBA officials being bad. And to quote you, "NBA officials are bad, as we all know"

Who the hell are you to tell me something about using the term we Jacka$$.
    Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 05:58pm
    certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Redhouse
    Dear Redhouse:

I deem your remark is very silly. (credit to Mr Redhouse.)

Believe it or not, I started here even earlier than you did, at least by 4 months. So save your "starter" to yourself please, Mr. Senior-Member-with-only-214-posts. You made me laugh.

Who do you think you really are? "We do not all know...", what makes you think you are allowed to represent everybody else and what makes you believe you know what everybody else knows? Give me a break.

Are you always this nice to people whom you believe "starters"? You remind me those schoolyard coward bullies.

Thanks.
    First of all, (and I am not calling you a "first of all") his use of the term "for starters" simply means this is his first point. It is not a description of a "rookie".

Second, he is challenging your statement that "Those officials are bad, as we all know" which is a direct quote from your first post in this thread. So your own arguement about representing everybody else can be used against you, since that is what you implied.

Third, the NF backcourt rule is consistent with their policy of ruling that the last person a ball touched "caused" the ball to do whatever it does. This is the same theory used to determine possession on OOB plays. It would be silly to use this theory only some of the time. Either it's valid or it's not.

Fourth, I cannot post this in "easy English", whatever that is.

Fifth, I must give you credit for not posting in french.