View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 02:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm telling ya, my biggest strides came when I realized that pleasing the coaches is near the bottom of my list of priorities.

I try to ignore comments, although I'm human and once in a while say something and then realize that the adage about pigs and mud is completely true. Coach is the pig and engaging him without a legitimate question is the mud.

Last night I couldn't help it, though. We had some fast, sloppy play and of course we're 2-person since the school couldn't find another $57.50 for us to have a third (and I don't think working boys varsity for $39 is an answer to that situation) and I call a foul at one end where the kid almost has his arm removed and then nothing on the other where a player is blocked cleanly. My next trip, I'm in the home coach's lap and he says, "I don't know how you can call a foul here and not call one there. He was all over him. How can you miss that?" And I responded with, "It was a clean block, but I can understand you not seeing that so far away." Then the ball went the other way and I was out of there and we never revisited that the rest of the night.

One day I'll put velcro on my lips.