View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 01:47pm
Huck Finn

Yes, I am a big boy. Here are some of your highlights from this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
With under 30 seconds in the first half, I call a foul and as I'm reporting to the table, he is sitting down and kicks the bleacher with the back of his foot as hard as he can. I probably should have dinged him right then as we had already both warned him, but I didn't. I told him, "Coach, that's your final warning." He told me, "No, I can do that because I'm frustrated with my girls, not at your foul calls."

Yeah, right, but I didn't say anything. I was suffering from a misplaced sense of sympathy for his girls, who didn't even have an assistant coach to rely on if this clown got tossed. Shouldn't have been thinking that way, but I was nonetheless.
Quote:
This is why I avoid getting in discussions with coaches. Because you don't understand the role of officials. You think my job out there is to be a robot, and call everything the way you see it, as if I have some magic goggles that allow me to see things from a coach's perspective.

If I literally enforced every rule in the book to the T (no pun intended) as you suggest, you would not recognize the game as "basketball." It would be a free-throw shooting contest.

There is a concept called advantage/disadvantage that you should really learn about. We officials have to master this concept, or we don't last long because coaches like you complain that we never let their girls "play ball."

Like I said, can't win with you guys...
Quote:
I was T on the play next to the benches. He was asking why it was not a foul.
Quote:
I didn't go looking.

He didn't like my call, and so he asked me about it.

Why is this so hard to understand?
Quote:
You're a big boy. I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find it.
So, you made a call in front of the bench as time was expiring. He asked you about it. Remember, you was in front of his bench, his team was playing defense because it was the end of the first quarter. The quarter ends and you "go over" to talk to him because you can tell "coach isn't please with my call."

Well, if he asked you a question and you was right in front of his bench, you shouldn't have needed to go anywhere to answer his question - remember this play happened as time was expiring. But in another post you say you could tell he wasn't happy with your call, which was actually a no-call, so you go to talk to him. Where is the question in that?

Can you tell us what really happened. If we belonged to the same association and you explained this situation to me followed by telling me an evaluator said you did something on the varsity level question marks would pop up.