The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 07, 2013, 03:23pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Does anyone have a copy (or link to) the Waynesburg / Fordham game in 1939 - we could look and see.
Well, found some video of Pitt/Fordham from 1937.

Pitt at Fordham Football 1937 Polo Grounds (Part One) - YouTube

Edit: Or perhaps better yet, Princeton/Yale from 1910. Watch about 30 seconds into the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcfoKTjHhIA

Looks like the official in the backfield spots the ball (and winds the clock).

Last edited by APG; Mon Oct 07, 2013 at 03:52pm. Reason: Embedded YouTube clips
Old Mon Oct 07, 2013, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
There is still a brief time where the U has to back off and when I was the WH on my crew, I gave the U time to get into a safe place. Sometimes teams do not listen and snap the ball anyway. Sometimes players just do not listen to our warnings to "not snap the ball."

Peace
Once the umpire backs off, they can snap it. Especially when they are time crunched.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 07, 2013, 05:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Once the umpire backs off, they can snap it. Especially when they are time crunched.
Well not how it is taught to do here. The RFP is just that, the RFP. I the officials are not ready, we do not blow the whistle in. And that is why we often are talking to the QB and snapper to wait until we have blown the whistle. Not much different from what we do on a kick off. Just because we start going off the field does not mean it is OK to kick the football.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 07, 2013, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well not how it is taught to do here. The RFP is just that, the RFP. I the officials are not ready, we do not blow the whistle in. And that is why we often are talking to the QB and snapper to wait until we have blown the whistle. Not much different from what we do on a kick off. Just because we start going off the field does not mean it is OK to kick the football.

Peace
He's in Texas so he's talking NCAA rule. With the 40-second play clock on many downs, the ball is ready for play when the ball is spotted and the U moves away. I do ask that they give me a second to get out, but by rule as soon as I step away they can snap it.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
We're talking about the NCAA - there is no RFP.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 09:25am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suudy View Post
Or perhaps better yet, Princeton/Yale from 1910. Watch about 30 seconds into the video.
Interesting way to mark a field in the Chicago-Michigan clip.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Interesting way to mark a field in the Chicago-Michigan clip.
That's why they call it a "gridiron"
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That's why they call it a "gridiron"
No, it was called that before the lengthwise lines were added -- actually even before the crosswise lines were put down. When it was proposed to the rules committee for the 1882 season that lines be added every 5 yards to judge the line to gain, I forgot who said it would look like a gridiron. The lengthwise lines came in decades later with some rules restricting the advance of the ball by run or pass. The field could use them again, to judge the FBZ by.

They could've eliminated half the yard lines in 1912 when the distance to gain was increased to 10 yds., but they haven't. Heck, a lot of fields were still marked with an X at the center of the 40 yd. lines for many decades after the kickoff was no longer required to be from its center.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
No, it was called that before the lengthwise lines were added -- actually even before the crosswise lines were put down. When it was proposed to the rules committee for the 1882 season that lines be added every 5 yards to judge the line to gain, I forgot who said it would look like a gridiron. The lengthwise lines came in decades later with some rules restricting the advance of the ball by run or pass. The field could use them again, to judge the FBZ by.

They could've eliminated half the yard lines in 1912 when the distance to gain was increased to 10 yds., but they haven't. Heck, a lot of fields were still marked with an X at the center of the 40 yd. lines for many decades after the kickoff was no longer required to be from its center.
Bob, Robert would know. It was there in 1882.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Oct 09, 2013, 06:07am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Heck, a lot of fields were still marked with an X at the center of the 40 yd. lines for many decades after the kickoff was no longer required to be from its center.
Whadda mean, "were"? A majority of the fields I call on still have the X.
Old Thu Oct 10, 2013, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And according to what was written in a thread here about a week ago, in NCAA, you've got a real problem, since they're not required to "chop", whistle, or otherwise signal the RFP if the 40-sec. rule is in effect. Team A has no notice other than looking at the chain crew of whether they're allowed to snap the ball or not.
Not true in this scenario. You would have a ready for play due to the first down.
Old Wed Oct 16, 2013, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: I was at an inter-conference game (Big-10 vs. ACC) earlier this season. A Big-12 crew was officiating. I was surprised to see the R spot the ball several times. I couldn't figure out the rhyme or reason for him to spot it.
Old Wed Oct 16, 2013, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M. View Post
REPLY: I was at an inter-conference game (Big-10 vs. ACC) earlier this season. A Big-12 crew was officiating. I was surprised to see the R spot the ball several times. I couldn't figure out the rhyme or reason for him to spot it.
Big 12 crew ... were they using the "A" official?

Could it be sweeps to the U's side, perhaps U was trailing, and R was simply closer?

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Oct 16, 2013, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M. View Post
Funny you mentioned this. I worked a spring game and got dinged for not spotting the ball enough at the R. The U on my normal crew would hit me if I tried to spot more. Is this a trend?
Old Thu Oct 17, 2013, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes a cooperative player may toss the dead ball to a Referee who happens to be closest, or even standing on, what proves to be the subsequent spot, does it really make sense for him to re-toss the ball to the umpire so he can spot the ball where the Referee is standing?

"no harm, no foul" can apply to things other than contact between players.