The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting confused on this issue. To my knowledge, the clock should start on the ready for inadvertant whistle and after a official's timeout when the clock was originally running. That makes sense. What is a challenge to me is whether or not the clock should start after penalty enforcement. More specifically, if the penalty is declined vs. accepted, and how this effects the clock start. Can someone explain this?
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

The clock will start based on the reason that the clock was stopped. For instance, if a first down running play gains 5 yards and during the play there was a penalty the clock was stopped for an official's time out to administer the penalty. Since the official stopped the clock the official (referee) will start the clock. Conversely, if the same first down play was an incomplete pass and a penalty occured, the clock is stopped because of the incomplete pass not for the penalty. Yes, we will adminsiter the penalty during the dead ball period, but the clock was stopped for the incomplete pass and will start on the snap.

Hope that "clears" it up a little!
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

The last edition of the NFHS Quarterly had a very good article on starting and stopping the clock. Maybe another official in your area has a copy of this and would provide it to you.

Also, stay tuned here for more great answers from ther others here. When I have more time than I have now, I plan to respond to your post.

Thanks!
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Here's a simple example.

Let's say that A22 runs up the middle on a dive play where he is tackled inbounds. Center A52 is detected holding. After penalty enforcement the clock will start on the ready for play.

Another play, A5 runs outside his end on a sweep and the pulling guard A64 is caught blocking illegally in the back. A5 runs upfield and then out of bounds. After penalty enforcement the clock will start on the snap.

Like the other guys said, its what would happen to the clock if there was no penalty. Or at least thats how I try to remember it.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Think of it this way Shultj...

REPLY: When a down ends and you stop the clock to complete a penalty (either accept or decline) that stoppage of the clock is an official's time out. See NF 3-5-7j: "An official's time-out occurs during a dead ball without a time-out being charged to either team: ...(j.) After a foul, to administer the penalty." Unless there was some other clock stopper that trumps your official's TO (e.g. incomplete pass, ball OOB, score, etc.) you'll start the clock on the ready.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Think of it this way Shultj...

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
REPLY: When a down ends and you stop the clock to complete a penalty (either accept or decline) that stoppage of the clock is an official's time out. See NF 3-5-7j: "An official's time-out occurs during a dead ball without a time-out being charged to either team: ...(j.) After a foul, to administer the penalty." Unless there was some other clock stopper that trumps your official's TO (e.g. incomplete pass, ball OOB, score, etc.) you'll start the clock on the ready.
Bob,

Simple and concise way to lool at timing. Thanks.

What would be different for NCAA?
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Delay of games penalties make us start on the snap, though, regardless of game action previous. (unless a team is trying to conserve time illegaly, then on the ready)
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
Delay of games penalties make us start on the snap, though, regardless of game action previous. (unless a team is trying to conserve time illegaly, then on the ready)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~`
We had one during a BIG game last seasom. Home team goes ahead by 4 with maybe a minute left in fourth. Kick-off is TB. A is moving the sticks fairly well, using clock well, then drive starts to stutter at B's 40, after a running play, A then runs a pass play(clock about 10 seconds). QB rolls left toward his sideline and then intentionally ground it, R tosses hanky...A coaches go ape-crazy, fans too. R starts clock on snap, A gets play off, everybody heading for EZ, horn sounds, ball falls incomplete, game over. We meet at exit tunnel, fans are livid bout the call, yelling and cursing...we get to our little parking area and R says, "good thing I didn't judge intentional clock stoppage, by A for the grounding"

YES, good thing, we'd still be trying to escape!!!!!
Old Wed Jul 23, 2003, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Chris, you have horns go off when the clock hits 0:00 ??? That's nothing but trouble. Isn't there a way to turn them off?
Old Wed Jul 23, 2003, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Horn going off brings back a good one.
NCAA rules, 9th grade game, home team down by 6, visitors with the ball at midfield, 12 sec. remaing in the game. Tailback is
a real jerk. TB sweeps right and is gone. Horn goes off and TB stops and hands the ball to DB. Players are leaving the field.
Home coach starts yelling to DB "run , run". DB starts to walk,then walks a little faster, then jogs,then runs to the EZ. Everyone just stops and watches. I am running with him.
The other 3 officials have headed for the water keg. At about the 15 yrd. line visitors #8 comes from out of the blue and nails DB. Game over me thinks. Flash back to the game and I remember that #8 during the game was a black guy. This #8 was white. This # 8 was warming up on the sideline for the JV.
I award a TD for the home team, try is good and home wins.
Visitor coach put up a weak protest, then we both had a good laugh. During the JV game #8 fumbled 4 times during the first quarter. During the quarter change coach came out and ask if "the other #8 could replace him" ?
Coach" only if you can do a quick pigment transplant".
Home won again.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2003, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
REPLY: Chris, you have horns go off when the clock hits 0:00 ??? That's nothing but trouble. Isn't there a way to turn them off?
I've noticed while working clocks that a lot of them default to "Auto Horn On" when you power them up. Not ideal for football.

If a non-official is working the clock, as in most of our JV games, he/she probably won't think to turn it off (or know how to turn it off, for that matter). Usually there's an "auto horn" button on the console, and an icon on the display to let you know if it's on or off.
Old Sat Jul 26, 2003, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Smile horns and sits....

Some fields have them and some don't. As an R or U, one of us has the clock. BJ has the play clock, but we don't run the darn scoreboard......Just like BB I work, those managers better know whats going on...and teach player the same....