The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

On the snap, or on the ready??

Third and 20 at the 50. A2 takes the snap, scrambles, and throws an interception to B3 who is tackled in bounds. B2 had roughed the passer A2. A accepts the penalty. Ruling: First and 10 for A at B's 35. Clock starts on the 'ready'.

I say FALSE, the clock starts on the snap since according to 3-4-3b: The clock shall start with the snap....if the clock was stopped because B is awarded a new series.

One of the senior officials stated that the National Federation interpretation is that the clock will start on the ready because B is not really awarded a new series. I of course disagree, and wanted to get the opinion of the 'community'.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Canfootball52
Lightbulb Canadian Rule

The Canadian rule is that the clock starts on the ready, unless we are in the last 3 minutes of either half. If we are, then the clock starts on the snap as a result of A accepting Bs Roughing The Passer penalty.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC2
Third and 20 at the 50. A2 takes the snap, scrambles, and throws an interception to B3 who is tackled in bounds. B2 had roughed the passer A2. A accepts the penalty. Ruling: First and 10 for A at B's 35. Clock starts on the 'ready'.

I say FALSE, the clock starts on the snap since according to 3-4-3b: The clock shall start with the snap....if the clock was stopped because B is awarded a new series.

One of the senior officials stated that the National Federation interpretation is that the clock will start on the ready because B is not really awarded a new series. I of course disagree, and wanted to get the opinion of the 'community'.
The senior official was correct. We never awarded B a new series in the play you are describing. The only reason the clock stopped was that we took an official's timeout to address the foul that was committed during a live ball. This is a "minor" clock stopper (i.e. not OOB, Fair Catch, TD, Incomplete, etc.) and thus the clock will start with the RFP.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 05:12pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC2
CANADIAN RULING:

When you say the 50, you are claiming that the LS is mid-field. In the Cdn game, mid-field is the 55, so I will adjust the situation accordingly.

RTP is a UR foul, which on a forward pass can be applied at PLS or PBD.
  1. At PLS: PLS + 15y + AFD = A 1D/10 @ B-40.
  2. At PBD: PBD - 15y = B 1D/10 @ Point tackled - 15 yards.
In either case, the clock will start:
  • Before the 3 minute warning: on the ready
  • After the 3 minute warning: on the snap, as we had (1) penalty application and (2) penalty application or change of possession
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
CANADIAN RULING:

When you say the 50, you are claiming that the LS is mid-field. In the Cdn game, mid-field is the 55, so I will adjust the situation accordingly.

RTP is a UR foul, which on a forward pass can be applied at PLS or PBD.
  1. At PLS: PLS + 15y + AFD = A 1D/10 @ B-40.
  2. At PBD: PBD - 15y = B 1D/10 @ Point tackled - 15 yards.
In either case, the clock will start:
  • Before the 3 minute warning: on the ready
  • After the 3 minute warning: on the snap, as we had (1) penalty application and (2) penalty application or change of possession
If you're giving the Canadian ruling, on a penalty appied from PLS, it would be A 1D/10 @ B-45. Your math gives them a 20yd. penalty.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 05:52pm

Wink See the bold text

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canfootball52
If you're giving the Canadian ruling, on a penalty applied from PLS, it would be A 1D/10 @ B-45. Your math gives them a 20yd. penalty.

Quote:
CANADIAN RULING:

You assumed that I went from the 50 as in the OP. I translated the 50 to the 55 to retain the mid-field status of the LS. Furthermore, I think you assumed the A-50 to yield thinking I applied a 20 yard penalty, when it just as easily could have been B-50 for a 10 yard penalty. IOW, why did you assume the A-50 when the OP was at the 50: which is mid-field in US ball.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Fri Aug 17, 2007 at 05:55pm.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Wink That's What Happens When You Assume

You have a good point.

These message boards would be so much easier if we all played on a field that was the same dimensions. Would it really kill you guys to make your fields 10 yards longer?
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 06:24pm

But...

check this out:

Here in my town there is a team that plays in the NAFL. They use NFL rules and US officials drive in to do the game.

How do you "convert" a field that is 150 x 65 with our uprights to a field that is 120 x whatever with their uprights?

Here's what they did:
  1. narrow the sidelines on each side to create a 160'-wide field
  2. keep the field at 100 yards
    • the goal lines are at our 5 yard lines
    • the uprights then are only 5 yards deep in the EZ instead of 10
    • this only affects FGAs, where they do *not* move the LS back 5 yards for FGA
    • players need to be reminded that there is a padded wishbone support 5y in the EZ
You're right: it's easier if they converted to real North-American football.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here in my town there is a team that plays in the NAFL. They use NFL rules and US officials drive in to do the game.

How do you "convert" a field that is 150 x 65 with our uprights to a field that is 120 x whatever with their uprights?

Here's what they did:
  1. narrow the sidelines on each side to create a 160'-wide field
  2. keep the field at 100 yards
    • the goal lines are at our 5 yard lines
    • the uprights then are only 5 yards deep in the EZ instead of 10
    • this only affects FGAs, where they do *not* move the LS back 5 yards for FGA
    • players need to be reminded that there is a padded wishbone support 5y in the EZ
How's their treatment of various balls touching the goals or their supports? Do they just use current NFL rules for that? Do they use pre-1974 NFL rules for that?

When scrimmaging close to their own EZ, does team A get to move the spot toward a sideline?

Robert
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 02:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman
How's their treatment of various balls touching the goals or their supports? Do they just use current NFL rules for that? Do they use pre-1974 NFL rules for that?

When scrimmaging close to their own EZ, does team A get to move the spot toward a sideline?

Robert
I do believe that in the pre-game the consensus was that all NFL rules are used. If the uprights are less deep into the EZ, that is just a fact of life having teams in the league that are centered in Canada.

I do believe that A can move the ball as you suggest.
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I do believe that in the pre-game the consensus was that all NFL rules
Meaning, I suppose, current or the previous year's, and not, say, from 1973.

Quote:
are used. If the uprights are less deep into the EZ, that is just a fact of life having teams in the league that are centered in Canada.
That'd mean that if either team's snap or fumble touches the goal support, it's dead, even though all its surroundings are in bounds.

Robert