The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

MNF Minn @ GB Over Officiated?

I know it was the first real game of the season, but did anyone else think the crew was over officiating the game? They had to set a record for flags. Seemed like there was one on every play. I was at a recreation establishment and couldn't hear so I have no idea of actual amount of flags or even what they all were as I was easily distracted.

Mregor
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 09:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Why does the conclusion have to be over-officiating? I will say this game appeared to have the most penalties with 21. The Dallas-Cleveland game had 20. There were a couple of games this weekend that had 14.

Did it ever occur to you, that maybe the fouls were because the teams did not play very well? I guess it would depend on what kind of fouls took place. I just do not know why we judge how well we officiate a game by the number. For all you know all of the fouls were there and the league would accept every one. Or the crew with 5 fouls might have been accused of missing multiple plays.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Why does the conclusion have to be over-officiating? I will say this game appeared to have the most penalties with 21. The Dallas-Cleveland game had 20. There were a couple of games this weekend that had 14.

Did it ever occur to you, that maybe the fouls were because the teams did not play very well? I guess it would depend on what kind of fouls took place. I just do not know why we judge how well we officiate a game by the number. For all you know all of the fouls were there and the league would accept every one. Or the crew with 5 fouls might have been accused of missing multiple plays.

Peace
Why are you so defensive Jeff? Did it ever occur to you to read what I wrote? I said that I was not paying that close attention but notice a flag on what seemed to be every play. Just wondering what others thought who actually watched the game. Heck they even had what appeared to be a PF for assiting a teammate in an attempt to block an extra point? There was no flow to the game and since ESPN didn't replay hardly any of the plays when there was a foul, I had no way to confirm. You have serious emotional problems. Please seek immediate help with your condition.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 10:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor
Why are you so defensive Jeff? Did it ever occur to you to read what I wrote? I said that I was not paying that close attention but notice a flag on what seemed to be every play. Just wondering what others thought who actually watched the game. Heck they even had what appeared to be a PF for assiting a teammate in an attempt to block an extra point? There was no flow to the game and since ESPN didn't replay hardly any of the plays when there was a foul, I had no way to confirm. You have serious emotional problems. Please seek immediate help with your condition.
I did not realize that I could not ask you to justify your comments. Was there a play you did not like the way it was called? Was there an interpretation that you did not agree with or understand? I do not think it is defensive to ask you to back up your claim that the game was over-officiated.

You may not realize NFL officials do not have the opportunity to take plays off or turn the other cheek unlike us high school and lower level college officials. If they do, that goes in their game report which can affect everything from their post season opportunities to if they keep their job. So if they called something you do not like, I am sure their higher-ups will agree with your expertise and downgrade the officials for not doing their job. Then again, you were watching the game on TV.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Heck they even had what appeared to be a PF for assiting a teammate in an attempt to block an extra point?
So, they're supposed to ignore that when they're graded on every single call they make or don't make? It's not an officiating crew's fault if teams foul a lot. I would imagine that hate throwing as bad as the rest of us do.

Perhaps Rut just doesn't like it when people make assumptiolns about officiating when they admittedly aren't paying attention. Perhaps he would rather hear an informed opinion. IDK, maybe that's just the way I am.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I did not realize that I could not ask you to justify your comments. Was there a play you did not like the way it was called? Was there an interpretation that you did not agree with or understand? I do not think it is defensive to ask you to back up your claim that the game was over-officiated.

You may not realize NFL officials do not have the opportunity to take plays off or turn the other cheek unlike us high school and lower level college officials. If they do, that goes in their game report which can affect everything from their post season opportunities to if they keep their job. So if they called something you do not like, I am sure their higher-ups will agree with your expertise and downgrade the officials for not doing their job. Then again, you were watching the game on TV.

Peace
Since I was asking for an opinion and you didn't even see the game, why even respond?
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 11:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Since I was asking for an opinion and you didn't even see the game, why even respond?
Since you did not even know what was called, why even start a post?

I do not have to see a game to know what you are trying to imply. And since you did not at the very least hear the commentary or the Referee's explanation, I really do not see why you are any more qualified to talk about the play than I am. You also said you did not see any replays of the fouls. Either you missed the replays or you did not understand what they were showing.

If you are offended by people asking you questions, then this is certainly the wrong place to come for sure.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

I saw the game. A few illegal formations and several defensive offsides were called early. I think it was a sloppy game and the players did not adjust to how closely they may have been calling these two (somewhat judgemental) fouls. After one DOF or IF is called, the players had better WAKE UP and get out of the NZ and make sure the offensive tackles are on the LOS.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
So, they're supposed to ignore that when they're graded on every single call they make or don't make? It's not an officiating crew's fault if teams foul a lot. I would imagine that hate throwing as bad as the rest of us do.

Perhaps Rut just doesn't like it when people make assumptiolns about officiating when they admittedly aren't paying attention. Perhaps he would rather hear an informed opinion. IDK, maybe that's just the way I am.
I watched enough to know that their assisting the teammate jumper call is not a PF as they called it. I saw an illegal downfield call where the DE stunted and the tackle missed his block and the tackle was not much more than a step accross the LOS and did not continue and they called it ineligible down field (and it was a deep pass and not a screen). I saw at least one DPI that just wasn't there IMO. Have no idea who the crew was as I don't pay that much attention to the numerous officials, and from what I saw, I felt it was over officiated. Totally took away from the game. Or I was drunk, one of the two.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 11:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I watched enough to know that their assisting the teammate jumper call is not a PF as they called it. I saw an illegal downfield call where the DE stunted and the tackle missed his block and the tackle was not much more than a step accross the LOS and did not continue and they called it ineligible down field (and it was a deep pass and not a screen).
Now some specifics.

Now how do you know what the call was if you were in a bar and did not hear the explanation? What you just described sounds like "leaping" which is a PF under some specific situations.

Quote:
I saw at least one DPI that just wasn't there IMO. Have no idea who the crew was as I don't pay that much attention to the numerous officials, and from what I saw, I felt it was over officiated. Totally took away from the game. Or I was drunk, one of the two.
The make up of crews changes every year. Some people stay together and some people leave to go on other crews. Even if you recognized the Referee, that does not mean he had the same 6 people he had last year on that crew.

There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with a DPI call, but why was it missed? Or is that too much of an attack? After all you did say you were drunk.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I watched enough to know that their assisting the teammate jumper call is not a PF as they called it. I saw an illegal downfield call where the DE stunted and the tackle missed his block and the tackle was not much more than a step accross the LOS and did not continue and they called it ineligible down field (and it was a deep pass and not a screen). I saw at least one DPI that just wasn't there IMO. Have no idea who the crew was as I don't pay that much attention to the numerous officials, and from what I saw, I felt it was over officiated. Totally took away from the game. Or I was drunk, one of the two.
They announced it as "leverage" which is correct in the NFL. The IDF was correct, I rewinded my tape of it and the player was 3 yards past the LOS on the play. I am SURE, as I stopped the tape at the spot when the pass was thrown.

Since both those plays were negative against GB, I'd say you are a Packer fan who as you said "was probably drunk."

You, the Packer fan, did not mention the two DPI's that on replay looked like they "were there" and would have gone against the Packers. The talking heads even said, "I think the Vikings had a reason to be complaining" but I don't pay attention to them much. The non DPI calls were tough ones that could have gone either way probably.

Rut stated the crew makeup changes every year, that is true. I know for a fact from several NFL officials I know that they hardly ever have the same 7 from one year to the next.

Last edited by MJT; Tue Sep 09, 2008 at 11:37pm.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
"I'd say you are a Packer fan who as you said "was probably drunk."
Redundant

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 09:05am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
I know for a fact from several NFL officials I know that they hardly ever have the same 7 from one year to the next.
Crews 1994 - 2004:

http://members.tripod.com/refereestats/crewArc.htm
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
Redundant
Priceless.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You must have been drunk, from Wisconsin or both!

They showed the replay twice on the TD pass to Donald Driver. Two linemen were a step across the LOS but a second linemen was FIVE yards across the LOS. Sorry but that's ineligible downfield.

There was an ineligible downfield on a WR screen pass that I didn't understand as the ball didn't cross the NZ. And there was a DPI call on Green Bay when WR Wade was pulled down by his left arm while running a cross that was NOT called. I thought to myself, "Somebody will get gig for that one."

But over officiated? No. These guys are scrutinized on every play. If you see a foul, you'd better call it. As MJT said, sloppy play.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Wed Sep 10, 2008 at 09:26am.