The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

First off I would like to compliment whoever hands out those umpire uniforms. Those ajustable hats with the velcro in the back look awesome. All the umpires are wearing them, and they have some sort of logo on the front.

2 things:

1. The PU's get it right mentality is over the top. He went to get help because the defensive coach was begging for some reason to call R3 out as he scored. It was a bad throw up the line, and their may have been contact between F2 and R3, but it was not intentional by either player, and the contact was barely anything if any.

2. Next batter, fly ball. R3 tries to advance after the catch. R3 comes down and makes contact with F2 with his shoulder first, after the throw went past F2. R3 falls over catcher, and has to take another step to get to the plate. PU starts pointing at either the plate or R3. I don't know if he is calling obstruction, or interference, or what. Turns out, he is signaling to count the run. I don't know why he didn't just signal "safe". It didn't look like R3 was trying to hurt F2, but he didn't appear to slip or anything. To me it looked like he lowered his shoulder to get through the catcher.

Offensive manager talked to PU (he is wearing a microphone). Manager is saying that F2 is blocking R3's path. PU says that there was obstruction, but he didn't call it because R3 scored.

If this was NCAA/NF play, would you have called a malicious crash, obstruction, interference, or a combo of those?
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

I, like you, did not see the point of the PU meeting with the other umpires over the call (apparently correct) he had just made (instance 1 in your post). Just a waste of time IMO. Make the call and move on.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 11:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
First off I would like to compliment whoever hands out those umpire uniforms. Those ajustable hats with the velcro in the back look awesome. All the umpires are wearing them, and they have some sort of logo on the front.

2 things:

1. The PU's get it right mentality is over the top. He went to get help because the defensive coach was begging for some reason to call R3 out as he scored. It was a bad throw up the line, and their may have been contact between F2 and R3, but it was not intentional by either player, and the contact was barely anything if any.

2. Next batter, fly ball. R3 tries to advance after the catch. R3 comes down and makes contact with F2 with his shoulder first, after the throw went past F2. R3 falls over catcher, and has to take another step to get to the plate. PU starts pointing at either the plate or R3. I don't know if he is calling obstruction, or interference, or what. Turns out, he is signaling to count the run. I don't know why he didn't just signal "safe". It didn't look like R3 was trying to hurt F2, but he didn't appear to slip or anything. To me it looked like he lowered his shoulder to get through the catcher.

Offensive manager talked to PU (he is wearing a microphone). Manager is saying that F2 is blocking R3's path. PU says that there was obstruction, but he didn't call it because R3 scored.

If this was NCAA/NF play, would you have called a malicious crash, obstruction, interference, or a combo of those?
In the second one, he was awarding the plate on the obstruction.

Since LL rules require possession of the ball before a fielder can block a base, BOTH plays were obstruction.

Who gives a crap about the hats besides umpire fashion plates?
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

Gee Rich, here comes another "over the top" comment from Tee:

I would not work a game that "required" me to wear an adjustable hat. If they can't invest in me, who would be required to be working for free anyway, I certainly wouldn't "invest" (my time) with them.

Sorry Rich, I care.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

I would (and have) capitulated on the adjustable cap, but instead I would draw the line at dancing the freaking macarena in a chorus line with my partners.

My refusal to do that will, I'm sure, be the only thing keeping me off a regional or world series field in the future. (he said with tongue firmly planted in cheek.)
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Re: Hmmm,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C

I would not work a game that "required" me to wear an adjustable hat. If they can't invest in me, who would be required to be working for free anyway, I certainly wouldn't "invest" (my time) with them.

Sorry Rich, I care.
For the most part, we don't. It's just a difference of opinion. Perhaps there needs to be more effort put into understanding that "different" does not equal "wrong".

We're used to adjustable hats in LL. They're a LOT cheaper and we can buy them ahead of time and have them ready rather than waiting to measure the head size of the kids that make a team, or learning who's on the volunteer umpire crew this year.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Rich,

Yea right, adjustable hats are just the "cat's meow!"

Cripes, invest in people (that would be umpire's not the ankle biters) and raise up from it, boy!

I guess you're right -- the mustard from that free hot dog would probably just spoil the look of a real hat.

See, I have just given you another reason to take a breath -- just another reason I wouldn't cross your path on a small diamond.

Yes, "different" and "wrong" describe different actions -- adjustable hats are simply "wrong".

L & K,

T
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 11:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: Rich,

Quote:
Yea right, adjustable hats are just the "cat's meow!"

Cripes, invest in people (that would be umpire's not the ankle biters) and raise up from it, boy!

I guess you're right -- the mustard from that free hot dog would probably just spoil the look of a real hat.

See, I have just given you another reason to take a breath -- just another reason I wouldn't cross your path on a small diamond.

Yes, "different" and "wrong" describe different actions -- adjustable hats are simply "wrong".

L & K,

T
I simply don't care. We wore adjustable hats in some games in Europe. Didn't really bother me. Nobody notices except people like you and me (I notice, but it just doesn't bother me a whole lot).

There is a better option, though. This season, I bought some Flex Fit caps from Richardson for football season. I think these hats will eventually replace the traditional fitted hats of today. They come in two sizes and from the outside look like fitted caps.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

I got a couple too, this season. Functional, look good, and fit better than traditional fitted caps.

Inexpensive, too.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Hmmm,

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
Quote:

Sorry Rich, I care.
For the most part, we don't. It's just a difference of opinion. Perhaps there needs to be more effort put into understanding that "different" does not equal "wrong".

We're used to adjustable hats in LL. They're a LOT cheaper and we can buy them ahead of time and have them ready rather than waiting to measure the head size of the kids that make a team, or learning who's on the volunteer umpire crew this year.
All of the umpires' shirts had some LL central region words/logo above the breast pocket. Maybe I'm wrong, but I assume those shirts were provided by LL. Some of the umpires on TV yesterday looked like Marines, and some were pretty chubby. If LL is able to invest the money into different shirt sizes, why can't they spend the extra money for different hat sizes.* Come on Ives, these are ESPN games. Any game shown on ESPN is important enough for fitted hats. Weren't the teams wearing fitted hats anyways?

*Gerry Davis, +POS, and Honig's all sell fitted hats for the same price as the adjustable hats.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

"Iows"

51st state?

Bob
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Come on Ives, these are ESPN games. Any game shown on ESPN is important enough for fitted hats. Weren't the teams wearing fitted hats anyways?

You are assuming they give a S&^%.

Just because you do doesn't mean anyone else does.

The teams were wearing whatever hat their league provided at the start of all-stars. They don't get new stuff until they get to Williamsport.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Rich,

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
There is a better option, though. This season, I bought some Flex Fit caps from Richardson for football season. I think these hats will eventually replace the traditional fitted hats of today. They come in two sizes and from the outside look like fitted caps.
id rather go hatless then wear a flex-fit hat. worst type of hat ive ever worn.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 02:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: Re: Re: Rich,

Quote:
Originally posted by briancurtin
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
id rather go hatless then wear a flex-fit hat. worst type of hat ive ever worn.
Your opinion is noted and (since I've worn the flex-fit cap and liked it) disregarded.

--Rich
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

OK,

Our umpire group requires that umpires buy fitted hats from the association.

We get sized umpire hats with embroidered Four Letter emblem and we pay less than $10.00 per hat.

Less than $10.00 per hat guys.

We offer everything from 4 stitch comb hat through 7 stitch (8 stitch if you order the year before).

$10.

T