The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
And the assisting the jumper, or leverage as it was announced, is a PF in NFL. Might want to get your rules straight.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
There was an ineligible downfield on a WR screen pass that I didn't understand as the ball didn't cross the NZ.
Under NFL rules, the pass does not need to cross the line of scrimmage in order to have IDF.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

FYI, most penalties, both teams in an NFL game:

37 Cleveland (21) vs. Chi. Bears (16), Nov. 25, 1951
35 Tampa Bay (20) vs. Seattle (15), Oct. 17, 1976*
34 San Francisco (22) vs. Buffalo (12), Oct. 4, 1998

*EDIT: The official play-by-play of this one is a bit confusing but doesn't list 20 penalties for Tampa Bay (it does list 15 for Seattle).

TB was hit for:

8 offensive holding calls
3 offsides/encroachments
2 personal fouls
1 illegal motion
1 face mask
1 roughing the passer
1 illegal procedure
1 unsportsmanlike conduct

Seattle was hit for:
5 offensive holdings
2 defensive holdings
2 personal fouls
2 delay of game
1 offside
1 false start
1 illegal use of hands

There was also offsetting holding calls on one play, and a notation that an ineligible receiver downfield call on Tampa Bay was "over-ruled by" a clipping foul on Seattle. Did they used to do it that way, where if one foul carried more yardage as a penalty, it would trump one on the other team? Strange.

That's sloppy, expansion-team football from 1976.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.

Last edited by OverAndBack; Wed Sep 10, 2008 at 01:28pm.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
I saw the game. A few illegal formations and several defensive offsides were called early. I think it was a sloppy game and the players did not adjust to how closely they may have been calling these two (somewhat judgemental) fouls. After one DOF or IF is called, the players had better WAKE UP and get out of the NZ and make sure the offensive tackles are on the LOS.
For whatever reason the Viking organization commit’s a penalty on nearly every play. Neutral zone infractions by 3 out of 4 defensive lineman are common place especially in or near the red zone. Recently they feel the popularity of Adrian Peterson gives them the right to steer defenders by grabbing the shoulders. I have no idea what justification they have for hooking (wizard - ing) defensive ends on passing plays. I don’t know why they have been allowed to do this routinely. They have no incentive to stop because they get caught less than 1 out of 10 times. The Packers naturally have to somehow compete with these unfair advantages often by committing a few infractions in the spirit of fair play. The officials UNDER-officiated the Vikings which led the game to deteriorate into near chaos.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
the pass does not need to cross the line of scrimmage in order to have IDF
So all those screen passes I've seen in the NFL over the years were illegal but uncalled?
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

I was under the impression plays with passes behind the LOS are technically runs. Hence screens, jailbreaks, shuffle passes, etc.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkishowl20
I was under the impression plays with passes behind the LOS are technically runs. Hence screens, jailbreaks, shuffle passes, etc.
A forward pass is a forward pass. The rules are slightly different if the pass does not go beyond the neutral zone.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For whatever reason the Viking organization commit’s a penalty on nearly every play. Neutral zone infractions by 3 out of 4 defensive lineman are common place especially in or near the red zone. Recently they feel the popularity of Adrian Peterson gives them the right to steer defenders by grabbing the shoulders. I have no idea what justification they have for hooking (wizard - ing) defensive ends on passing plays. I don’t know why they have been allowed to do this routinely. They have no incentive to stop because they get caught less than 1 out of 10 times. The Packers naturally have to somehow compete with these unfair advantages often by committing a few infractions in the spirit of fair play. The officials UNDER-officiated the Vikings which led the game to deteriorate into near chaos.
Do you understand that the NFL grades each official on each down of the game? There are some officials who do not mess up a foul call/no call situation over the entire season. These officials are not missing 9 out of 10 fouls.

Quote:
The Packers naturally have to somehow compete with these unfair advantages often by committing a few infractions in the spirit of fair play.
HAHAHA
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You might be thinking of 'shovel passes', where the QB "shovels" it rather than throwing it overhand to the receiver.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
You might be thinking of 'shovel passes', where the QB "shovels" it rather than throwing it overhand to the receiver.
There was a local annoucer in PA who called it the 'shuttle pass.'
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

I just love these discussions especially by officials who should know better.

The number of penalties called is not so much a reflection of the officiating crew but more of the team being penalized. Officials do not commit penalties, players andtheir teams do.

I did not watch the entire Monday Night game but there were a number of procedural penalties. Officials call these because they occur. These are an indication to the coaching staff, you got some work to do.

A true indication of an official's work is the number of no-calls and calls.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is way off the mark.

It was under-officiated because the NFL no longer needs to give the Packers special treatment since Brett Favre left.

And what's "wizarding"? Do they send the DE to a different dimension?
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX
This is way off the mark.

It was under-officiated because the NFL no longer needs to give the Packers special treatment since Brett Favre left.

And what's "wizarding"? Do they send the DE to a different dimension?
A wizard is a wrestling move that involves clamping on an arm. If I put a wizard on you your arm would be in my armpit with my elbow joint holding/traping it there.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU213
There was a local annoucer in PA who called it the 'shuttle pass.'
All three have been used. ‘Shuttle’ was used widely not just by the announcer.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB
Do you understand that the NFL grades each official on each down of the game? There are some officials who do not mess up a foul call/no call situation over the entire season. These officials are not missing 9 out of 10 fouls.
HAHAHA
They really can't grade offensive holding calls. I know it’s difficult if not impossible to do. The term “it happens on every play” is a term for a reason. The point is they push it and influence the play.