The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 09:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkishowl20
They really can't grade offensive holding calls. I know it’s difficult if not impossible to do. The term “it happens on every play” is a term for a reason. The point is they push it and influence the play.
Oh brother!!!

Peace
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

*correction: they can grade the calls, how to grade the non calls? it is possible but the percentage and consistency gets mucky.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX
This is way off the mark.

It was under-officiated because the NFL no longer needs to give the Packers special treatment since Brett Favre left.

And what's "wizarding"? Do they send the DE to a different dimension?
You should know the post was tongue and cheek and worded in the best homer language I could come up with.
Old Fri Sep 12, 2008, 02:25am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
*correction: they can grade the calls, how to grade the non calls? it is possible but the percentage and consistency gets mucky.
It happens all the time. I highly encourage you to obtain Matt Sumstine's videos from the Aloha Clinics. In these videos, he highlights numerous plays that at first blush look like penalties but after further examination, they really aren't. He will often comment something along the lines "Good no-call, that is a block from the side, not the back." etc.

A good no call on a possible hold would be passing on something such as a slight jersey tug that did not impede the defender, or a hold far away from the point of attack.

Seth, "wizarding" is when you send the DE to the Washington Wizards for a season. Duh.
Old Fri Sep 12, 2008, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
All three have been used. ‘Shuttle’ was used widely not just by the announcer.
Common errors are still just that.
Old Fri Sep 12, 2008, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
So all those screen passes I've seen in the NFL over the years were illegal but uncalled?
I just checked with an NFL official I know. Interior linemen are not allowed any more than 1 yard beyond the line of scrimmage before any pass is thrown (behind or beyond the neutral zone). They are not allowed to block until the pass is caught but they give them a little leeway with this. So if you are seeing this and it isn't being called, someone's getting dinged.

Last edited by mikesears; Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 01:27pm.
Old Fri Sep 12, 2008, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
...There was an ineligible downfield on a WR screen pass that I didn't understand as the ball didn't cross the NZ.
REPLY BBR...unless I'm mistaken, in NFL rules, linemen are restricted to their side of the neutral zone even on passes that don't cross the LOS.
Old Sat Sep 13, 2008, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm sorry, but there are so many things you say in these series of posts that are just rediculous. Here are some or your highlights.

For whatever reason the Viking organization commit’s a penalty on nearly every play. Neutral zone infractions by 3 out of 4 defensive lineman are common place especially in or near the red zone. Recently they feel the popularity of Adrian Peterson gives them the right to steer defenders by grabbing the shoulders. I have no idea what justification they have for hooking (wizard - ing) defensive ends on passing plays. I don’t know why they have been allowed to do this routinely. They have no incentive to stop because they get caught less than 1 out of 10 times. The Packers naturally have to somehow compete with these unfair advantages often by committing a few infractions in the spirit of fair play. The officials UNDER-officiated the Vikings which led the game to deteriorate into near chaos.
This whole post is just silly.

I was under the impression plays with passes behind the LOS are technically runs. Hence screens, jailbreaks, shuffle passes, etc.
Wrong.

They really can't grade offensive holding calls. I know it’s difficult if not impossible to do. The term “it happens on every play” is a term for a reason. The point is they push it and influence the play.
If this was the case, how would they ever grade R's or U's in the NFL or D1?

They can grade the calls, how to grade the non calls? it is possible but the percentage and consistency gets mucky.

They know exactly what to look for on holds, and are shown plays in their meetings every year that are prepared by their supervisors.

Last edited by MJT; Sat Sep 13, 2008 at 03:33pm.
Old Sat Sep 13, 2008, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A wizard is a wrestling move that involves clamping on an arm. If I put a wizard on you your arm would be in my armpit with my elbow joint holding/traping it there.
Are you sure you're not talking about a whizzer?
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
I'm sorry, but there are so many things you say in these series of posts that are just rediculous. Here are some or your highlights.

For whatever reason the Viking organization commit’s a penalty on nearly every play. Neutral zone infractions by 3 out of 4 defensive lineman are common place especially in or near the red zone. Recently they feel the popularity of Adrian Peterson gives them the right to steer defenders by grabbing the shoulders. I have no idea what justification they have for hooking (wizard - ing) defensive ends on passing plays. I don’t know why they have been allowed to do this routinely. They have no incentive to stop because they get caught less than 1 out of 10 times. The Packers naturally have to somehow compete with these unfair advantages often by committing a few infractions in the spirit of fair play. The officials UNDER-officiated the Vikings which led the game to deteriorate into near chaos.
This whole post is just silly.
Sorry, it was on purpose as stated. Probably not appropriate given the nature of the forum.

I was under the impression plays with passes behind the LOS are technically runs. Hence screens, jailbreaks, shuffle passes, etc.
Wrong.
Yes, they just become runs as soon as the ball is caught. A semantic confusion of wording and timing I’m glad we worked out.

If this was the case, how would they ever grade R's or U's in the NFL or D1?

While they may “grade” them, they have a panel of graders I take it?
What weight can they give to the holding grades?
You think the NFL has consistent officiating when it comes to offensive holding?

They can grade the calls, how to grade the non calls? it is possible but the percentage and consistency gets mucky.

They know exactly what to look for on holds, and are shown plays in their meetings every year that are prepared by their supervisors.
You implied that it was impossible for them to miss a lot of holding calls based on them being reviewed by people that have watched a video?
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You implied that it was impossible for them to miss a lot of holding calls based on them being reviewed by people that have watched a video?
Not exactly.

NFL officials are very good at what they do. I read somewhere that they get about 98.5% of their foul call/no call situations correct.

So our options are to believe you, the random guy who says a lot of fouls went uncalled, or to believe that the officials got the vast majority of them correct as they always do.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They don't miss many. I have 12 DVD's from NFL official I know and many of them have voiceover by the supervisor. They will show 10-15 plays and say if they want that to be called holding, and why or why not.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
They don't miss many. I have 12 DVD's from NFL official I know and many of them have voiceover by the supervisor. They will show 10-15 plays and say if they want that to be called holding, and why or why not.
ok. so do they say this isn't holding because he didn't gain advantage and things like that?
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ok. so do they say this isn't holding because he didn't gain advantage and things like that?
Yes, that is one thing. Some other examaples are
- it is not at the point of attack, although they don't make that mistake often
- the defender did a rip technique, so he put himself in that position
- it is a double team, so no hold unless they take him to the ground
- the hold occurred the same time as a sack was occurring