Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (5) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
From ESPN:

Syracuse had the ball down 60-58 in the final seconds when Fair drove past Tyler Thornton along the baseline for an apparent tying layup.

But official Tony Greene whistled Fair for charging -- and when Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim shot onto the court to argue, Greene slapped him with two technical fouls and ejected him.

Quinn Cook iced it by hitting three free throws with 10.4 seconds left.
I was watching the game and right away I had a PC, it was the right call. It was a tough pill for Syracruse to swallow. And I thought the way the official handled Boeheim, who completely embarrassed himself, was outstanding!! I understand that official has worked several ncaa regional finals and final fours, is that true?. Kudoes to him!!
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 08:02pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
ftfy
His post was just as right as yours. Or do you hate pronouns, too.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 09:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Hats off to the basketball ref for tossing the coach. All baseball umpires are proud of you, for doing what we do all season long.

Let that be a lesson for the rest of you hoopsters. Don't allow those guys to yell at you from point blank range.
WTF are you talking about? When have you seen a coach yell at me?

I know I sure as hell never let a coach come on to the playing surface to debate a call.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 09:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
WTF are you talking about? When have you seen a coach yell at me?

I know I sure as hell never let a coach come on to the playing surface to debate a call.
Exactly. I've been known to remind a coach he doesn't get to yell.

Like Rich said, though, different sports have different standards.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 09:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Yeah, if they request time, don't run at me, and keep it civil. ..
Well, guess what, that's not something we do not allow coaches to do in basketball, so why do you allow it in baseball?
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

The dynamics are different. In basketball and football, there is an official that's going to be right in the coach's lap affording them the opportunity to briefly discuss the situation.

In baseball, the distance is too great to carry on this type of conversation so they come out. We don't allow them to yell from the dugout and we don't allow them to yell and scream while they are on the field.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 10:04pm
Archaic Power Monger

Smile everyone, you're being watched. This thread seems fairly popular on other forums.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 12:03am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
When someone has a position to integrate a philosophy throughout the officiating landscape to bring continuity for all regions, I believe it is upon us to work on implementing this way of thinking.

If we as officials are closed minded to a different way of thinking, there can never be a continuity in officiating across the country; which perpetuates the stereotype that the ACC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 12, SEC officiate differently. This is something that John Adams is trying his best to eliminate.

You just said a lot but none of it does anything to dispute, or even to address what I said. The importance of consistency cannot be overstated. But to say that similar plays should result in similar calls is much too broad a statement to be useful, in my opinion.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 12:35am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7IronRef View Post
End of game B/C - Block, defender had no established LGP prior to the upward motion of the shooter. The L makes this call in rotation, the T was backing out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I would suggest that you not come out of your van until you have learned the Guarding and Screen rules.
Mark, what guarding rule did 7ironRef get wrong?
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 02:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
If we as officials are closed minded to a different way of thinking, there can never be a continuity in officiating across the country; which perpetuates the stereotype that the ACC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 12, SEC officiate differently. This is something that John Adams is trying his best to eliminate.
Anyone that knows much about college basketball knows that many of the officials work 2, 3, or even 4 of those conferences (less so with the PAC due to location). So the notion that the operate independent from one another is a fallacy.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 08:02am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Anyone that knows much about college basketball knows that many of the officials work 2, 3, or even 4 of those conferences (less so with the PAC due to location). So the notion that the operate independent from one another is a fallacy.
They operate independant of each other if they have different supervisors. These guys have to adjust to that night's supervisor.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

My fingers are starting to itch just typing this defense...but Dickie V this morning on Mike and Mike blasted Boeheim. He said that simply cannot happen and that the game was not decided by the call...but was decided by the two Ts he received. Several people on the show afterwards were very critical of Boeheim and pointed out that he gave the official no choice by running onto the floor.

One even pointed out that if he would have simply stayed on his side of the sideline that he probably would have only gotten one T.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7IronRef View Post
You might want to be familiar with the POE
Says the 7th grade algebra student discussing calculus with Hawking. Says Daniel-San on the first day of lessons to Miyaga.

You're out of your league and insulting the wrong guy here, sir.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
My fingers are starting to itch just typing this defense...but Dickie V this morning on Mike and Mike blasted Boeheim. He said that simply cannot happen and that the game was not decided by the call...but was decided by the two Ts he received. Several people on the show afterwards were very critical of Boeheim and pointed out that he gave the official no choice by running onto the floor.

One even pointed out that if he would have simply stayed on his side of the sideline that he probably would have only gotten one T.
So V is pretty much just saying what Bilas told him at the time when Dickie was going down the 'blame the officials' road.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

It's ok if I do it

Wonder what Coach JB's press conference would have been like if the player involved (CJ Fair) had reacted to that call in the manner in which the coach did. I'll bet JB wouldn't have tried to be such a comedian..probably having to answer questions about suspension and further discipline. For him it just seems to be a funny thing and we should all get a chuckle about it. Like someone else said...not a great example of leadership when the game is on the line.