The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 04:41am
Official Forum Member

What coaches think is true!

I have never been able to figure out from where the coaches get these strange ideas, but they really believe them!

Canyon Springs coach Freddie Banks (who played for UNLV in the 1987 Final Four) said the following Thursday night after his team won despite only scoring 19 points in the first half while playing on the home court of the University of Nevada: "I think what (we) were trying to do was get a feel of the court because this a bigger court compared to what we play in high school. It’s longer and it’s wider."

While most HS courts are 84 feet long and college is 94, I have never been on a HS court which is less than 50 feet in width (although by rule it can be smaller).

As Canyon Springs is one of the newest schools in Vegas, I seriously doubt that the court is less than 50 feet wide.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 08:13am
Courageous When Prudent

Freddie Banks, name from the past. I played some rec ball with him back in the mid 90's and his wife used to braid my then wife's hair.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 08:24am
Get away from me, Steve.

I would be thrilled if new HS courts were built 94x50. The longer court, IMO, makes for a better game.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I would be thrilled if new HS courts were built 94x50. The longer court, IMO, makes for a better game.
As long as you're working 3-person. Our biggest boys and girls holiday tournaments here are on four different college courts. The first two rounds of each tourney are 2-person and it isn't a lot of fun. (Working the tournament is a lot of fun, covering that much area with two people isn't)

A school locally built a new high school building a few years ago and put 94-foot courts in both gyms. They're the only high school I've seen do that. I agree it does make the game better.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 09:44am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Agreed. In my experience, the larger the court and more room roam and maneuver for the players leads to less physical play and fouling in close quarters. For those teams however that like to implement the full-court press, better teams more easily defeat it on a larger court.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 10:49am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
As long as you're working 3-person. Our biggest boys and girls holiday tournaments here are on four different college courts. The first two rounds of each tourney are 2-person and it isn't a lot of fun. (Working the tournament is a lot of fun, covering that much area with two people isn't)

A school locally built a new high school building a few years ago and put 94-foot courts in both gyms. They're the only high school I've seen do that. I agree it does make the game better.
One of our high schools used to also have a small, private college that no longer exists.

To this day I've never (elsewhere) seen a 94x50 court squeezed into a gym that probably has about a foot of room beyond the boundary lines. Because of that, the floor feels *huge* there.

Oh, we work 2-person in that conference.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm going to agree with this 100%. Last week a conference tournament game that was played at a local university. This league is our 1A (smallest) league and was a boys game. One of the boys team plays in a converted elementary school and their gym is literally the smallest gym I've ever seen for a varsity contest. I couldn't get a flow to the game as it was way, way too compressed. Wasn't happy how I called that game back in early January...

Now fast forward to the tournament game it was played on a college court and I commented to my partner at a TO about 'wonderful, wonderful spacing' Court was so wide there wasn't a ton of contact with a lot of freedom to move around.

What even helped more is the teams in the first half decided to play a stall ball type of offense and the first half I swear only took about 20 minutes. Now on the flip side on that college court was that it was longer and it makes for a nice run. If the teams really wanted to push it it would have made for a tiring game and we only do 2 man here.....
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 02:55pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrStBballRef View Post
I'm going to agree with this 100%. Last week a conference tournament game that was played at a local university. This league is our 1A (smallest) league and was a boys game. One of the boys team plays in a converted elementary school and their gym is literally the smallest gym I've ever seen for a varsity contest. I couldn't get a flow to the game as it was way, way too compressed. Wasn't happy how I called that game back in early January...

Now fast forward to the tournament game it was played on a college court and I commented to my partner at a TO about 'wonderful, wonderful spacing' Court was so wide there wasn't a ton of contact with a lot of freedom to move around.

What even helped more is the teams in the first half decided to play a stall ball type of offense and the first half I swear only took about 20 minutes. Now on the flip side on that college court was that it was longer and it makes for a nice run. If the teams really wanted to push it it would have made for a tiring game and we only do 2 man here.....
The width of the courts really should be the same.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 04:17pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Regarding the title of this thread - you should never use "coaches" and "think" in the same sentence.