The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Video Request - Syracuse vs Duke (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97351-video-request-syracuse-vs-duke-video.html)

grunewar Sat Feb 22, 2014 08:59pm

Video Request - Syracuse vs Duke (Video)

From ESPN:

Syracuse had the ball down 60-58 in the final seconds when Fair drove past Tyler Thornton along the baseline for an apparent tying layup.

But official Tony Greene whistled Fair for charging -- and when Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim shot onto the court to argue, Greene slapped him with two technical fouls and ejected him.

Quinn Cook iced it by hitting three free throws with 10.4 seconds left.

VaTerp Sat Feb 22, 2014 09:11pm

Boheim completely lost it.

The call I want to see is the block and scored bucket for Duke's Parker earlier in the 2nd half. I think that one was an easy PC call that incorrectly went the other way.

AremRed Sat Feb 22, 2014 09:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 924205)
The call I want to see is the block and scored bucket for Duke's Parker earlier in the 2nd half. I think that one was an easy PC call that incorrectly went the other way.

What time?

APG Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:04pm

<iframe src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/tr9m7xS8NeU" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

Edit: Added 2nd play

<iframe src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/sS7EIadIFHQ" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

VaTerp Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 924212)
What time?

10:30 mark of second half.

AremRed Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:17pm

Some of you may be able to browse to the plays (10:30 and 0:10 second half) here: ESPN3 -- Syracuse vs. Duke

I suggest checking out the whole situation at 10 seconds, some real hair-pulling commentary there.

Terrapins Fan Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:22pm

Looks like a good call to me.

AremRed Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 924205)

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 924215)
10:30 mark of second half.

Just watched it. WOW. It looks like he went to signal charge but changed his mind mid-signal and counted it. If he counted it, why no block signal??

VaTerp Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 924218)
Just watched it. WOW. It looks like he went to signal charge but changed his mind mid-signal and counted it. If he counted it, why no block signal??

Yeah, watching live I had the exact same thought. Body language looked like he wanted to go offense but he changed his mind. The endline camera angle on replay really made it look like a bad ball. But oh well.

And I grew up watching college b-ball with Dickie V as an announcer. I may be one of the few that still enjoys him but his commentary at the end about officials having to let coaches react was ludicrous.

Fortunately, Bilas set him straight.

twocentsworth Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:37pm

the blocking foul called against Syracuse earlier in the half was really bad - should have clearly been an offensive foul.

the call near the end of the game was borderline....based on the calls during the year AND the call against Syracuse earlier in the 2nd half, I can see why Boeheim wents nuts...BUT you just can't do that to your team at the end of the game.

BryanV21 Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:03pm

As much as I hate to say it, being a big 'Cuse fan, but I don't have a problem with the charging call at the end.

Spence Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:09pm

At what point in the drive is the latest a defender can legally get the position required?

Picks up dribble?
Goes up off the pivot foot?

LeeBallanfant Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:12pm

Boeheim has to go to Kim Mulkey's Summer Camp and learn how to remove his jacket.

biz Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:35pm

Full disclosure: I am a Syracuse grad.

On first look - live action of the play at 10 seconds - I thought it was a block. Then on the first replay I thought it was so close that I couldn't be upset with the call either way. Then when I saw the replay from the other end of the court I see the Duke defender stepping toward Fair after the upward motion had started.

From an officiating standpoint, putting myself in Greene's shoes. I thought that was as difficult a block/charge as I've seen this year and I thought it was made tougher by Greene being in mid rotation. I'm not sure he got a great look at the defender as he was looking over his shoulder while rotating across the lane.

Either way, is Vitale insane???? He wouldn't have T'd up Boeheim??? That was an easy ejection and I'm sure no one on here will disagree with that.

biz Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 924224)
At what point in the drive is the latest a defender can legally get the position required?

Picks up dribble?
Goes up off the pivot foot?

NCAA-M as of this year it is when the upward motion of the shooter has started.