The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Anyone see this? (Video)

Argyle girls head to Final Four after apparent foul not called | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

APG I can do the slo-mo when I get home in about 2 hours if you want but...

The view from the side/TV angle makes me think the C was about to blow his whistle for the end of the quarter and just blew too early. Not saying there wasn't contact but I can't tell at full speed whether he had an open hand or a fist up.

If their association has a media person it would've been a good idea for that person to explain what happened. Folks probably wouldn't have liked the answer but the silence is worse.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 08:04am
Courageous When Prudent

The news article has a different angle that confirms that there most definitely was a foul that got missed.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Feb 24, 2014 at 09:39am.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

I've looked at the video at normal speed at least 10 times. It looks like the defender either hit the ball or the arm....who knows. The issues everybody sees is the C signaling something and then waving off the shot/signaling the end of the game...then the light goes off on the backboard...followed by the L signaling the end of the game...a jog to half court where a 1 second conversation takes place before sprinting off the floor.

This is pretty confusing to other officials so I'm sure those witnessing the game were probably beyond themselves especially the losing team.

I just wonder if the UIL will give an explanation this week.

There was some discussions on different outlets that a travel call occurred before the shot. Just for the sake of discussion did anyone see a travel? I did not.

I wish we had the T in the video....

"Playoffs....You're talking playoffs???"
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The news article has a different angle that confirms that there most definitely was a foul that got missed.
And, both players involved know that there was foul-worthy contact on the play.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 10:20am

Unhappy

There is a whistle, C raises his arm (can't tell whether it is open hand or fist) and then gives the no goal mechanic. The C is then seen taking off his whistle as he is walking toward the lane and the lead. That action indicates to me that he didn't have a foul call and was heading out. Neither official (C or L) seemed in that big of a hurry. The whistle, however, clearly beats the lights on the backboard. I am not sure how none of them felt the whistle beat the horn/lights and discussed at least putting some time back up due to an inadvertent whistle (?!?!?!?) from the C. I guess they could have said that no one definitively saw time left so they called it using lag time (which no longer exists). I GUESS?!?!? That is a bad way to end any game let alone a playoff game! I did not see a travel either. Wow.

Last edited by walt; Mon Feb 24, 2014 at 10:23am.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 10:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Depends on whether you think the gather happened with the left foot on the floor. If you think so, it's a travel - the left foot would've been the pivot foot and it definitely came down again.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 10:37am
Official & Member

This is an odd sequence for several reasons already noted. My question is how do you just leave the court without some explanation to the coaches and/or table? And a playoff game no less? Looks pretty bad from an outside perspective.

I had a similar scenario earlier this year...two point game...foul right at the horn. My crew came together..discussed the play and explained to both coaches exactly what we judged to be the sequence and how we would proceed.

Just coming together and walking off? Eeesh. Textbook example of poor game management.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Mon Feb 24, 2014 at 10:39am.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 10:43am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Depends on whether you think the gather happened with the left foot on the floor. If you think so, it's a travel - the left foot would've been the pivot foot and it definitely came down again.
Looks like a jump stop where she doesn't get her feet back down exactly at the same time. Technically a travel.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 10:46am

From the video with the article, the view from behind the play, clicking it frame by frame, it certainly looks like a foul to me and there is 1.2 - 0.9 left on the clock. #33 Black certainly acts like she knows she fouled the shooter. I see what you mean by the left foot gather but that is tough at full speed. Regardless, how don't three later round playoff officials at least get together and discuss???? And where the heck is the Trail?????

Last edited by walt; Mon Feb 24, 2014 at 10:51am.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

video added

Here are the three versions I've found. The last definitely shows the contact. As for a travel - it all depends on when you determine A1 ended her dribble. If the C wasn't sure I can live with a no-call on that aspect of things since everything was moving quickly.

The silence regarding what did/didn't happen is a big concern. There were more than a few options:

*If the C was calling a travel, fine. Come out with the signal, put time back on the clock if someone has definite knowledge and give Black the ball for a throw-in.
*If it was going to be a no-call, fine. We all kick calls however someone has to explain that to the HC who is about to lose the game. I give them credit for not doing a Boeheim/Mulkey in that spot.
*If it was an inadvertent whistle, fine. Again, we all kick calls but someone needs to give a quick explanation, determine whether time should be put back on the clock and - if so - go to the AP arrow.

"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Mon Feb 24, 2014 at 11:30am.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

JetFan,

Good video and analysis!
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 12:05pm
Esteemed Participant

Are we even sure the C is the one who blows the whistle?? The look on his face and the way he drops his whistle makes me wonder...in the end-line view, you can see the L with his arm up also, and then he walks in and waves the shot off also. Maybe the L blew the whistle???
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

It's blurry... but isn't L raising his hand with 3 fingers, indicating a 3 point shot? My sound's not good here so I can't hear exactly when (or even if) a whistle is sounded... but what if they are simply ruling a 3 point shot badly missed here?

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

IMO - she traveled then got fouled by black's left arm on her shooting arm. That is only with the benefit watching the video in slow-mo. This could have gone either way, and quite possibily the officials thought time ran out before either of those happend.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.