The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (5) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

I'm late to the party here, but I thought both calls clearly should have been PC.

Boeheim's explanation of the rule in the press conference was simply wrong. He starts out being right, but then adds in, incorrectly, that the defender can't move. He can. AFTER he achieves LGP, he can move as long as he doesn't lose LGP while doing so. The slight movement the defender does here after achieving LGP is not even close to enough to lose it... and LGP was established significantly before the upward motion began.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
They operate independant of each other if they have different supervisors. These guys have to adjust to that night's supervisor.
Exactly! I know for a fact that in some conferences the coaches rating has a HUGE affect on your pay tier and amount of games received. In other conferences, the coach's rating is thought of as used toilet paper.

IOW, if an official feels supported by his supervisor, he will go out on the court knowing he doesn't have to kow-tow to any coach. If the coaches have an influence, then the inner politics of pacifying coaches to save one's rating comes into the fold. This is usually done by officials unwilling to change their philosophy in order to save their pay scale.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They operate independant of each other if they have different supervisors. These guys have to adjust to that night's supervisor.
Yes, they do, but there is still going to be a mixing and averaging effect of how they are called, even if there are some differences.

What differences there may be are not because of the officials not having an open mind and being isolated in any given conference...which is what the post above was trying to claim.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Feb 24, 2014 at 12:58pm.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 01:55pm
Barely $.02 cents worth

They were both offensive fouls and unfortunately, we don't want to try and match "misses" that we have as stripes. . .

Greene's call just looked kinda off because he was on the move and didn't get fully done rotating yet, but the defender was legal and in the path. . .

And if was up to Vitale, Dakich, or all these other stuttering nincompoop analysts - there would be no foul-outs, no points of emphasis or concerns, and coaches could say or do whatever they want because its what's good for television and what they feel is for the game. . .

Just my barely $.02 cents worth.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 02:07pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Tony Greene discusses ejecting Jim Boeheim, more Hoop Thoughts - College Basketball - Seth Davis - SI.com

Excerpt:

Suffice to say, the vibe at that moment was far different than it was a couple hours before, when Greene and Boeheim, who have known each other for many years, were yukking it up as they walked onto the court. So what happens when the two of them meet again? "We'll be fine," Greene promised. "I'm a professional. He's a professional. There are no grudges. It's just one of those things where the beat goes on. It's all a part of the job."
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 09:27pm
Administrator

I can't believe it but the ACC is not going to take any disciplinary action against Jim Boeheim. What is wrong with this picture?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 09:50pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I can't believe it but the ACC is not going to take any disciplinary action against Jim Boeheim. What is wrong with this picture?

MTD, Sr.
People get suspended for being a$$-hats? He got ejected. He didn't contact any officials. I wasn't expecting a suspension.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 10:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
Quote:
People get suspended for being a$$-hats? He got ejected. He didn't contact any officials. I wasn't expecting a suspension.
Agreed. He got ejected, and he left. Now, was anything said post-game that may have earned an additional fine?
Old Tue Feb 25, 2014, 12:44am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Agreed. He got ejected, and he left. Now, was anything said post-game that may have earned an additional fine?

Yes, he was penalized for via the TF route for his conduct during the game. BUT!! I don't know but maybe I am old school. His conduct when beyond the boundaries of even venting his displeasure with the call.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 25, 2014, 01:28am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7IronRef View Post
End of game B/C - Block, defender had no established LGP prior to the upward motion of the shooter. The L makes this call in rotation, the T was backing out.
Quote:
I would suggest that you not come out of your van until you have learned the Guarding and Screen rules.
Mark, what guarding rule did 7ironRef get wrong?
Old Tue Feb 25, 2014, 05:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, he was penalized for via the TF route for his conduct during the game. BUT!! I don't know but maybe I am old school. His conduct when beyond the boundaries of even venting his displeasure with the call.

MTD, Sr.
I agree with Mark. This behavior was egregious to the point that it requires additional punishment. It really should come directly from Syracuse as they're the ones who should be embarrassed by his behavior, but universities have apparently stopped pretending they're anything other than semi-pro sports teams.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2014, 08:36am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
The Boeheim Soap Opera Continues

Public swiping at officials is turning into a sport all to itself.......

Syracuse's Jim Boeheim takes jab at Maryland's Mark Turgeon
Old Tue Feb 25, 2014, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Really late to this discussion, but I only see one T in the video. Can someone clarify ... Did Boeheim already have one earlier, did another official call a T first before the calling official had the second, or was it a single flagrant T that earned the ejection?
Old Tue Feb 25, 2014, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

What's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Public swiping at officials is turning into a sport all to itself.......

Syracuse's Jim Boeheim takes jab at Maryland's Mark Turgeon
Jeez, is he headed down the Woody Hayes road to retirement?
Old Tue Feb 25, 2014, 08:54am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
Jeez, is he headed down the Woody Hayes road to retirement?
No, he's turning into an a$$-hole.