The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack (5) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #46 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Why didn't Boeheim get 1 technical and be given a chance to go back to bench?
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetime1 View Post
Why didn't Boeheim get 1 technical and be given a chance to go back to bench?
I think he got 2 T's on the play. The calling official, I believe, gave T #1 for his initial tirade off the bench on to the court. Then he probably insulted the official's wife's cooking which got T #2.

Either way from T #1 to #2 he got the chance to drop some knowledge on the proper method to prepare Sea Bass.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

But the replay shows the official giving 2 fast techs and then tossing him.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 01:15pm
big jake

First one was for charging the floor which is automatic and the second one was for cussing Tony as if you watch the TV replay they covered his mouth so you could not read his lips. Great calls as he had to leave. charge was the correct call and the ejections were right on! Good job crew!
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Boeheim should be sanctioned not only for the tirade, but for his assinine comment after the game that he had no regret about his actions.

Sets a great example for all youth coaches and young players around the country.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen the play multiple times and haven't decided which way I would adjudicate.

So I have no problem with either call. Ideally I would have liked the Lead to have completed his rotation instead of moving during the action.

This is about as close as they get.

If I'm in the Leads seat, I probably rule block, since that's the way we've been calling these plays all year long.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Ok Thanks so rushing the court with your mouth shut when the ball is not in play is 1 technical foul. Then the act of saying Bull @1*% is another Tech. Crew got everything correct here. Great job to Tony.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 01:48pm
AremRed

My question: based on Roger Ayers earlier block call on what probably should have been a PC, should Tony Green have called a block on the final play?

Certainly two wrongs don't make a right, but in the name of consistency?
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Hats off to the basketball ref for tossing the coach. All baseball umpires are proud of you, for doing what we do all season long.

Let that be a lesson for the rest of you hoopsters. Don't allow those guys to yell at you from point blank range.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 01:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
My question: based on Roger Ayers earlier block call on what probably should have been a PC, should Tony Green have called a block on the final play?

Do you change how you make a call based on a single call 10 minutes earlier? Personally, I think this would be a horrible way to officiate. I take every game one play at a time and I can't imagine guys at the top of the profession doing anything different.

2 wrongs wouldn't make a right.

(3 rights, however, make a left.)
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 02:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Hats off to the basketball ref for tossing the coach. All baseball umpires are proud of you, for doing what we do all season long.

Let that be a lesson for the rest of you hoopsters. Don't allow those guys to yell at you from point blank range.
As a guy who works both baseball and basketball, I think you're missing the big picture. He wasn't run for yelling. He was run for BEING ON THE COURT and continuing to yell/swear/argue while ON THE COURT.

He could've yelled all that stuff all day long from the bench even next to an official (as long as he didn't run up and down the sidelines acting like a madman) and none of the officials would've even blinked (or looked at him) at that point of the game. Coming onto the floor and going apeshit had to be addressed. It was.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post

That just makes you consistently wrong. It's better to kick a call than to kick all of them in the name of consistency.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

He could've yelled all that stuff all day long from the bench even next to an official and none of the officials would've even blinked (or looked at him) at that point of the game.
Why is that allowed in basketball, and we eject all day for that in baseball?
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 02:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Why is that allowed in basketball, and we eject all day for that in baseball?
Different sports, Kyle. Different expectations. Doesn't make basketball wrong and baseball right, either.

Boeheim JUST BEING ON THE FLOOR arguing is a pretty automatic technical foul. Baseball allows managers to come onto the field and argue without ejecting quite a few of them. Is that right?
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Different sports, Kyle. Different expectations. Doesn't make basketball wrong and baseball right, either.

Boeheim JUST BEING ON THE FLOOR arguing is a pretty automatic technical foul. Baseball allows managers to come onto the field and argue without ejecting quite a few of them. Is that right?

Yeah, if they request time, don't run at me, and keep it civil.

I just don't like the idea of someone yelling at me, be it on the diamond, hardcourt, or Costco, and not doing something about it.