The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Did I handle correctly ?

Working JV game with familiar partner. The game is very close (Team A down by 1). Team B shooting FT , A1 rebounds the ball in paint near FT line, Coach A calls timeout which I give (5 seconds left in game). I point to the endline for throw-in, my partner acknowleges my gesture and I go to table to report. After reporting I go to table to check on T/O situation and remind them to watch me for starting the clock (table personnel reminded me at start of game they weren't the "normal" table people and were filling in).

I go to both teams at first horn and indicate the throw in to be at the end line. Team A coach is very upset b/c he had drawn up the play for throw in just about 10 feet off of mid court. I look over and my partner is talking with a school official and hadn't moved to the end line (gym was about empty b/c of Varsity game in next town) so.................. the coach thought that was where the ball was to be for throw in. I explained to the coach that I had indicated the throw in spot but I would discuss with Team B coach. Team B coach had no problem moving it to where my partner was (he thought it was close to mid-court as well). Should I have moved the throw in to the appropriate area or handled it as I did ?

My partner was very apologetic and said "lesson learned" but it really was not a fun situation.

Refk
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 10:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refk View Post
Working JV game with familiar partner. The game is very close (Team A down by 1). Team B shooting FT , A1 rebounds the ball in paint near FT line, Coach A calls timeout which I give (5 seconds left in game). I point to the endline for throw-in, my partner acknowleges my gesture and I go to table to report. After reporting I go to table to check on T/O situation and remind them to watch me for starting the clock (table personnel reminded me at start of game they weren't the "normal" table people and were filling in).

I go to both teams at first horn and indicate the throw in to be at the end line. Team A coach is very upset b/c he had drawn up the play for throw in just about 10 feet off of mid court. I look over and my partner is talking with a school official and hadn't moved to the end line (gym was about empty b/c of Varsity game in next town) so.................. the coach thought that was where the ball was to be for throw in. I explained to the coach that I had indicated the throw in spot but I would discuss with Team B coach. Team B coach had no problem moving it to where my partner was (he thought it was close to mid-court as well). Should I have moved the throw in to the appropriate area or handled it as I did ?

My partner was very apologetic and said "lesson learned" but it really was not a fun situation.

Refk
You were the new T in a 2-official crew?

If so, you are still the trail and administering the in-bounds after the timeout. Report the timeout, get the ball, and go to the throw-in spot with the ball.

If not, you need to tell your partner where the throw-in is. You granted the timeout, it's your decision.

On top of that, during the "reporting the timeout" process, we're going to each bench, grabbing an assistant, and specifically telling an assistant where the throw in spot is -- he can pass that info on to the head coach.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
On top of that, during the "reporting the timeout" process, we're going to each bench, grabbing an assistant, and specifically telling an assistant where the throw in spot is -- he can pass that info on to the head coach.
Is that something you make a habit of every timeout even at the Varisty level? I've never thought to provide that unless they requested, although V coaches are prob more inclined to know to glance at the referee holding the ball. Or is this just an end of game clarification you provide on an "important" inbound....?
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 11:06am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountTheBasket View Post
Is that something you make a habit of every timeout even at the Varisty level? I've never thought to provide that unless they requested, although V coaches are prob more inclined to know to glance at the referee holding the ball. Or is this just an end of game clarification you provide on an "important" inbound....?
If it's not an obvious throw-in spot, we do it. This timeout qualifies regardless of the time of the game.

I also let the coaches know on the first horn if A can "run the end line."
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You were the new T in a 2-official crew?

If so, you are still the trail and administering the in-bounds after the timeout. Report the timeout, get the ball, and go to the throw-in spot with the ball.

If not, you need to tell your partner where the throw-in is. You granted the timeout, it's your decision.

The way I read it he would not be the T...when the ball is put in play he would be the L. When the rebound was controlled, he acknowledged and granted a TO request AND pointed to the throw-in spot. After reporting the TO made sure the table was aware of everything. Sounds like to me he did everything he needed to do except maybe go tell his partner to get his tail back to the throw-in spot and quit yacking.

Maybe I am reading it wrong. Around here, unless it is a really loud gym we do not tell an assistant on each team where the throw-in will take place as we have already announced that to our partner when the whistle is blown. It's not my fault if none of the 5 coaches on the bench are paying attention.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

On a Similar Note...

Similar note, when an inbounder can run the endline coming out of a timeout I have had coaches request we adminster the inbound on the opposite side from where the new T had been prepared to give the ball. I've always allowed it to happen and never heard any disputes, any reason to believe that is incorrect?
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 11:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
The way I read it he would not be the T...when the ball is put in play he would be the L.
This isn't clear, upon reread.

If he's the new T post-rebound, he stays the T. If he's the new L, he stays the L.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 11:17am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Similar note, when an inbounder can run the endline coming out of a timeout I have had coaches request we adminster the inbound on the opposite side from where the new T had been prepared to give the ball. I've always allowed it to happen and never heard any disputes, any reason to believe that is incorrect?
No problem doing that. I've never been asked, though.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

I was the new lead, and had indicated to my partner where throw-in was but I think he lost focus a bit. I left out, while discussing T/O situation with table that Team A assistant asked me where the ball would be for the throw in and I told him

I feel that after experiencing this that it is my responsibility to ensure "everyone is on same page" and my partner is where he should be.

RefK
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No problem doing that. I've never been asked, though.
It's happened twice and both times they had a player step out and threw across the end line before inbounding. I guess it's just the way they drew it up on the bench and didn't trust the team to flip in the play in their minds haha.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 11:20am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refk View Post
I was the new lead, and had indicated to my partner where throw-in was but I think he lost focus a bit. I left out, while discussing T/O situation with table that Team A assistant asked me where the ball would be for the throw in and I told him

I feel that after experiencing this that it is my responsibility to ensure "everyone is on same page" and my partner is where he should be.

RefK
Cool. The key thing is to make sure your partner goes to the spot with the ball.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 12:28pm
C'mon man!!

Team A makes a basket then calls time out. When you administer on the end line to B after the time out and they can "run the end line" where can you administer at at where can't you? Do you always start them near and end line and have them move after it is at their disposal? Can they request the ball midway between the lane line and the sideline? What if they want the ball right under neath the basket (I have always made them move out)?
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Team A makes a basket then calls time out. When you administer on the end line to B after the time out and they can "run the end line" where can you administer at at where can't you? Do you always start them near and end line and have them move after it is at their disposal? Can they request the ball midway between the lane line and the sideline? What if they want the ball right under neath the basket (I have always made them move out)?
Personally, I would stand where I would normally administer the throw in, in a situation where he couldn't run. As I said earlier I would switch sides if it was requested. But if the team wants the ball directly under the basket or antyhing along those lines let him stand there and bounce it to him. That's just how I would handle, if there is something in the book that designates otherwise please correct me!

Just to clarify this is only in a made basket, allowed to run scenario!
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

The more I think about it, there may be no reason to even switch sides if requested, let the inbounder stand where he wants the ball and bounce it to him from where you were prepared to administer. My only worry here is out of context it could appear like the old rec ball, lazy, bounce across so you and your partner don't have to switch when in fact it is a different scenario.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The more I think about it, there may be no reason to even switch sides if requested, let the inbounder stand where he wants the ball and bounce it to him from where you were prepared to administer. My only worry here is out of context it could appear like the old rec ball, lazy, bounce across so you and your partner don't have to switch when in fact it is a different scenario.
The only thing the book says is "administer at the nearest spot." Since they can run, does it really matter?

And, if you switch sides because the offense wants you to switch, what do you do if the defense then complains that they had a defense set to force the ball into a specific corner?

Most places don't allow you to bounce across; and I'd never give the ball to the player in the lane extended.