View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 10:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refk View Post
Working JV game with familiar partner. The game is very close (Team A down by 1). Team B shooting FT , A1 rebounds the ball in paint near FT line, Coach A calls timeout which I give (5 seconds left in game). I point to the endline for throw-in, my partner acknowleges my gesture and I go to table to report. After reporting I go to table to check on T/O situation and remind them to watch me for starting the clock (table personnel reminded me at start of game they weren't the "normal" table people and were filling in).

I go to both teams at first horn and indicate the throw in to be at the end line. Team A coach is very upset b/c he had drawn up the play for throw in just about 10 feet off of mid court. I look over and my partner is talking with a school official and hadn't moved to the end line (gym was about empty b/c of Varsity game in next town) so.................. the coach thought that was where the ball was to be for throw in. I explained to the coach that I had indicated the throw in spot but I would discuss with Team B coach. Team B coach had no problem moving it to where my partner was (he thought it was close to mid-court as well). Should I have moved the throw in to the appropriate area or handled it as I did ?

My partner was very apologetic and said "lesson learned" but it really was not a fun situation.

Refk
You were the new T in a 2-official crew?

If so, you are still the trail and administering the in-bounds after the timeout. Report the timeout, get the ball, and go to the throw-in spot with the ball.

If not, you need to tell your partner where the throw-in is. You granted the timeout, it's your decision.

On top of that, during the "reporting the timeout" process, we're going to each bench, grabbing an assistant, and specifically telling an assistant where the throw in spot is -- he can pass that info on to the head coach.