The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

OOB, Did we handle this correctly

JV boys game, I am T (opposite table) and partner is down about 10 feet from baseline. Full Court Press, with cross court pass to H1 and becomes trapped by 3 V players right by sideline. Ball goes out of bounds about half court right in front of table.

Partner looks at me as I am looking at him for call. At this point we meet to discuss and neither had the angle to see who hit or bounced off. Both of us immediately agree we go to AP and V gets ball. I felt that I got straightlined (Need to work on mechanics to keep this from happening) But neither coach said a word about call at that time. AC for H told us that it should be H ball. Just ignored it and went with our decision. Of course I anticipated V Coach not saying a word since he got the ball.

A little post note, The timer told us that neither he or the scorekeepers had any idea who it was off of, it happened so fast. Other than this call very smooth game, 1st half 8 fouls, 2nd half 6 fouls. H won by 3 points.

Last edited by hoosierref; Fri Jan 25, 2008 at 11:59pm.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

You handled it correctly, given that no one saw the play.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 05:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierref
JV boys game, I am T (opposite table) and partner is down about 10 feet from baseline. Full Court Press, with cross court pass to H1 and becomes trapped by 3 V players right by sideline. Ball goes out of bounds about half court right in front of table.

Partner looks at me as I am looking at him for call. At this point we meet to discuss and neither had the angle to see who hit or bounced off. Both of us immediately agree we go to AP and V gets ball. I felt that I got straightlined (Need to work on mechanics to keep this from happening) But neither coach said a word about call at that time. AC for H told us that it should be H ball. Just ignored it and went with our decision. Of course I anticipated V Coach not saying a word since he got the ball.

A little post note, The timer told us that neither he or the scorekeepers had any idea who it was off of, it happened so fast. Other than this call very smooth game, 1st half 8 fouls, 2nd half 6 fouls. H won by 3 points.
There is the problem right there. Your partner is out of position. There is no need for him to be that far down the court. He should be closer to the 28' line in the new frontcourt. That way he can both observe the players in that half and also help with plays near the division line such as you had.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 05:34am
Official Forum Member

He was just outside of the range of the farthest 2 players down court. I happen to be right about the free throw line extended (opposite table).
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 05:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He was just outside of the range of the farthest 2 players down court. I happen to be right about the free throw line extended (opposite table).
That is certainly the proper position for the new Lead in 3-man, but for the 2-man system (which I believe that you were working), the Lead and Trail need to take care not to separate themselves by large distances. Of course, they should not leave players out of their field of vision either. It is a case by case thing that requires good judgment and discretion.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 10:41am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb meeting cancelled.

Quote:

Partner looks at me as I am looking at him for call. At this point we meet to discuss and neither had the angle to see who hit or bounced off. Both of us immediately agree we go to AP and V gets ball.
Seems to me that you don't need to discuss this thing.
When your partner looked at you, you knew he did not have the play.
Since you knew two things, that you didn't have the play and that he didn't have the play, just go *thumbs up* and don't discuss it to come to the same conclusion.
There was nothing to talk about.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Mick is right no meeting... AP all the way.

However...
Full court press is ambiguous to me... How many players in backcourt? How many players in Front court.

If it is a one-on-one- two on two press in the BC Trail has to handle that one all the way. It means there are 6-8 other players that lead has responsibility for. If it 3on3 or higher Lead needs to help but it still means that he is watching 4 more players...(On presses lead can help out but sholud not let players players from both teams get behind him)

In the play you describe, the ball is in Trails primary area. Lead's responsibility is to watch off ball.

If trail is watching the ball coming up the floor and the new lead is... the four eyes are focused on a small bit of floor.

This is no different than a half court game when ball goes to far sideline away from Trail and there is a trap at midcourt. Trail has primary coverage. Trail needs to get over and cover the area. The trap was 3 players and guy with the ball. someone has to watch 5 or six other players no in the front court trying to come to ball or break to basket for long pass.

It is not that hard for trail to go across and cover the play. It is easier for Trail to go cover that trap than it is for lead.... If lead comes too far he may get caught in a mess and then when players go to basket either no one is covering it, or trail is trying to get down the floor to help. You have two refs on same side of the floor- It is not the unpardonable sin. If the ball is stolen and going the other way you go down the sideline you are on and your partner will adjust back.

Lead normally has OOB above FT line in most plays, why would not this be any different?

Even if lead is at 28ft mark he is 19 ft away to make a call (94 ft floor) . If Trail goes toward the opposite sideline beyond the 1/2 way mark a mere three steps he is only 16ft away from call...

I believe lead was right in looking at you to make the call... Sorry