The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The only thing the book says is "administer at the nearest spot." Since they can run, does it really matter?

And, if you switch sides because the offense wants you to switch, what do you do if the defense then complains that they had a defense set to force the ball into a specific corner?

Most places don't allow you to bounce across; and I'd never give the ball to the player in the lane extended.
Both times I've had it happened it was still during the timeout and I went and told the other team. I did think to myself what if they broke the huddles and asked. As Bob said they can run across anyway what's the big deal, just a "common sense and fair play" type scenario I suppose.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 12:58pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refk View Post
Team A coach is very upset b/c he had drawn up the play for throw in just about 10 feet off of mid court
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refk View Post
Team A assistant asked me where the ball would be for the throw in and I told him
If you told the team A assistant the throw-in location and he didn't tell his head coach, it's his own fault. Put the ball in where indicated originally. I'm sure the coach will pay better attention next time.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2014, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Team A makes a basket then calls time out. When you administer on the end line to B after the time out and they can "run the end line" where can you administer at at where can't you? Do you always start them near and end line and have them move after it is at their disposal? Can they request the ball midway between the lane line and the sideline? What if they want the ball right under neath the basket (I have always made them move out)?
By rule, the team has the entire endline. So the team member may begin anywhere along the endline. It would be improper for an official to insist that a player begin the throw-in at any particular location. There is no rules justification for that.
This isn't a designated spot throw-in.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2014, 11:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
By rule, the team has the entire endline. So the team member may begin anywhere along the endline. It would be improper for an official to insist that a player begin the throw-in at any particular location. There is no rules justification for that.
This isn't a designated spot throw-in.
I agree from a rules standpoint, but from a mechanics standpoint I'm not administering the ball while he's in the lane extended. He can go exactly where he wants as soon as I deliver the ball.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2014, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The only thing the book says is "administer at the nearest spot." Since they can run, does it really matter?
Nope, any location desired by the team is okay.

Quote:
And, if you switch sides because the offense wants you to switch, what do you do if the defense then complains that they had a defense set to force the ball into a specific corner?
Not worry about such a complaint because BY RULE the offense can go anywhere along the endline they wish. The defense needs to be prepared to defend the throw-in from any and all such locations.

Quote:
Most places don't allow you to bounce across;
In those areas the administering official needs to move. Hopefully that isn't a physical challenge to the officiating crew.

Quote:
and I'd never give the ball to the player in the lane extended.
In this instance you should. The player has every right to throw the ball from there under these circumstances. Nothing in the book states that he can't start there too!
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 12:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

This is all academic, of course, since in 27 years of officiating I've never had someone ask for me to move to a different "spot."
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 02:36am
Official Forum Member

Smile Left Hash Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
This is all academic, of course, since in 27 years of officiating I've never had someone ask for me to move to a different "spot."
Only on extra point attempts . . . oops, I've got the Super Bowl on my mind . . .
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 04:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree from a rules standpoint, but from a mechanics standpoint I'm not administering the ball while he's in the lane extended. He can go exactly where he wants as soon as I deliver the ball.
Since BY RULE the team has the right to execute the throw-in from any point along the endline following a goal (or awarded score) by the opponent, you would be dead wrong to refuse to administer the ball at his desired location. To force him to come to where you want and then have to move to his desired location during the five-second count unfairly takes time away from his team and has no rules support.

You may disagree with how I recommend to handle certain situations during a high school basketball game, such as penalizing a team for actions of the spectators, but everything that I advise doing isn't just because I like or don't like something, it can be supported by the rules.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Sun Feb 02, 2014 at 05:20am.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 05:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Since BY RULE the team has the right to executive the throw-in from any point along the endline following a goal (or awarded score) by the opponent, you would be dead wrong to refuse to administer the ball at his desired location. To force him to come to where you want and then have to move to his desired location during the five-second count unfairly takes time away from his team and has no rules support.

You may disagree with how I recommend to handle certain situations during a high school basketball game, such as penalizing a team for actions of the spectators, but everything that I advise doing isn't just because I like or don't like something, it can be supported by the rules.
I disagree. All the rule grants the player is the right to make the throwin from anywhere along the line. There is nothing in the rule that says anything about where they must or get to start such a throwin. It just gives them the right to move elsewhere.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 05:23am
Official Forum Member

Camron,
You know the guiding principle that whatever is not prohibited by the rules is allowed. So barring a rule which prohibits the player from getting the ball in a certain location, we need to permit it.
What's the big deal? Just throw him the ball.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Despite this, it's the type of play that leads to long, protracted discussions whenever it comes up in an association meeting.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 10:01am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Despite this, it's the type of play that leads to long, protracted discussions whenever it comes up in an association meeting.
That's the fault of the person running the meeting, no?
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 10:07am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Since BY RULE the team has the right to execute the throw-in from any point along the endline following a goal (or awarded score) by the opponent, you would be dead wrong to refuse to administer the ball at his desired location. To force him to come to where you want and then have to move to his desired location during the five-second count unfairly takes time away from his team and has no rules support.

Being right isn't always the right thing to do.

No reason to bring up other situations here. I'm sticking to the topic at hand.

This really is academic. If the player is in the lane extended, I'm moving him. If he insists on staying there after I try to move him, I probably would toss him the ball. Wouldn't happen and won't happpen.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 12:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
While I agree with you on the throw in issue at hand (I'd have no problem bouncing it to a player who wanted to start behind the basket), your advice to call a T on the team supported by unruly spectators isn't comparable.

While "it can be supported by the rules", it can also be career suicide. Further, not calling it is also supported by the rules. The rules very clearly give us discretion and a strong warning to use caution when going that route.

Both are probably once-in-a-career situations, but only one really has a chance to sabotage a career.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 12:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Mechanics ...

IAABO mechanics, and, maybe, the old NFHS mechanics, told us never to administer the ball to an inbounding player under a basket (in the lane).

Maybe the rules allow for a "run the endline", under the basket, inbound administration, but the mechanics don't, so I'm not doing it.

If I ever administered the ball to an inbounding player under a basket, it would be just my luck that the player would throw the ball so that it hit, out of bounds, on the back side of the backboard, or hit the edge of the backboard so that the pass went out of bounds, or worse, was intercepted. Then the coach, would have good cause to get "all over me".

No thanks. I've never administered the ball to an inbounding player under a basket, designated spot, or otherwise, and, as God is my witness, I never will.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)