The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 09:34am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonx View Post
Good whistle on the Burke block. Going to goal, offensive player in the air, contact and offensive player hits the floor. Watch the off hand on Siva's hip. Entirely too much contact. Why would an official hold whistle just because of a high stakes game? A foul is a foul.
Burke's off-arm got pinned against his own body, what are you talking about?
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Anyone else worried about how the national media is portraying this game. Saying every game should be officiated like this, Jay whatshisface said, "The officials got out of the way and let the players decide it" I thought officials are there to enforce the rule book to create level play.

Personally I thought the game was very rough. I thought there was contact severe enough to create a disadvantage. On a couple loose balls, there were guys just punching at the ball and striking the opposing players arm. Isn't this a foul?

I don't want to see the trend going this way. It will filter down to all levels. Am I way off base here?
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman View Post
I was watching the game when it happened. The announcers weren't miffed, just confused until it was reported. It was pretty blatant so it needed to be called. If you are calling it in most high school games, maybe you need to start working on preventative officiating. You can usually tell when a kid is going to aggressively harass the inbounder..... they get all excited before you even hand the ball to the thrower. Take a few seconds to remind the jacked-up kid what will happen if he violates the invisible plane prior to the throw-in. Then you won't see it so much.
Thanks Zebra. I bring it up in the captains meeting and also remind the coaches before the game. I will talk to upper officials in our area to see what they think. Is this one of these rules that's really not a rule unless the defender contacts the thrower-inner?

I am just surprised that in so many games the defenders feet land out of bounds regularly right in front of the official. Obviously the plane was broken, why no call?
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 09:48am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
Anyone else worried about how the national media is portraying this game. Saying every game should be officiated like this, Jay whatshisface said, "The officials got out of the way and let the players decide it" I thought officials are there to enforce the rule book to create level play.

Personally I thought the game was very rough. I thought there was contact severe enough to create a disadvantage. On a couple loose balls, there were guys just punching at the ball and striking the opposing players arm. Isn't this a foul?

I don't want to see the trend going this way. It will filter down to all levels. Am I way off base here?

Were you officiating the game? If not then there will always be things that happen you do not like. And I would have to watch the game from a TV perspective, but nothing about that game looked rough anymore than any other game I have seen. There were players going to the basket and when you have defenders contesting shots, you will have contact.

I really hate to say this, but this is what I find about this site, most people here only officiating high school but then come up with every little contact play and want to call a foul. This was an up and down game and a lot of fouls were called. Because they did not call 20 more the game was rough?

Peace
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 10:06am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Good whistle on the Burke block. Going to goal, offensive player in the air, contact and offensive player hits the floor. Watch the off hand on Siva's hip. Entirely too much contact. Why would an official hold whistle just because of a high stakes game? A foul is a foul.
Good grief.

#1) There was no off hand on Siva's hip.

#2) Even if the off hand had been on Siva's hip, no way could the L see that from where he was at.

Not a foul. Not a foul. Not a foul. I would bet that in the locker room, that was that officials biggest disappointment - that he blew his whistle on that play.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 10:12am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

I really hate to say this, but this is what I find about this site, most people here only officiating high school but then come up with every little contact play and want to call a foul. This was an up and down game and a lot of fouls were called. Because they did not call 20 more the game was rough?

Peace
And you, of course, being the big-time D-I official that you are, get to tell those lowly high school officials that their opinions and questions don't count.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A foul is a foul but that wasn't. The L was blocked out in terms of any potential body contact and the block itself was clean.

I'll bet anything the L wanted that one back the second he blew his whistle. I'll also go all in that he took at peek at the C's face to get some kind of confirmation. I know we can't see his - the C's - face but a blank stare says a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post

We're there to enforce the rule book but try to use this as a guideline, no matter the level: Did the crew call the fouls that needed to be called? If the answer is "yes" then things will generally be okay. There were things missed but that's going to be the case every game. D1 kids are very fast and very strong. We're not

Going back to my last BV game a few weeks ago I still go over some of the calls I thought I should have made but the assignor/observer said exactly what I just wrote: "You guys made the calls that needed to be made." Neither team had the advantage tilted in their favor by what we did or didn't do.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
And this defender had jumped straight up and down?
Would love to debate it if someone could post the clip..... From the replay, the defender's path totally missed the shooter and was actually past the shooter when the shooter initiated the contact by jumping sideways.

Never saw Hancock jump sideways on any other shot he took during the game, so I don't believe that was his normal shooting motion...
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This play should NEVER, EVER be called a foul in any game at any level.

Why, you ask?

Because it isn't a foul under any rule set you use (NFHS, NCAA, FIBA, NBA).
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
37 fouls in the game..... 4-5 of those fouls by Michigan at the end to get up to 7, to put L'ville in bonus, etc.??? So 'actual' fouls committed was in the low 30's... From my end of the world, that's not a lot of fouls for a game.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
37 ...From my end of the world, that's not a lot of fouls for a game.
You said it right there, "from your end of the world." None of us (presumably) were there, and so no one here knows what directive these officials may have been given by their assigner. Perhaps the NCAA specifically wanted to "let them play" this game.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Were you officiating the game? If not then there will always be things that happen you do not like. And I would have to watch the game from a TV perspective, but nothing about that game looked rough anymore than any other game I have seen. There were players going to the basket and when you have defenders contesting shots, you will have contact.

Peace
No... the game was rough because the game was rough. (Perhaps you didn't get the angles we all did because you were there... have you seen it on tv yet?)

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's not difficult to see that they came out with the 'let them play' mentality. Problem is, when you then have a few touch or phantom fouls, it just plain looks bad. I'd rather have the officials set the tone for the game rather than the players.

This game has not benefitted from the 'let them play' philosophy. It has only made them look bad and has drawn more frustration from the players than need be.
Well, I don't remember the touch/phantom calls you're talking about other than the Burke block where it seems the L just reacted and thought he saw something that wasnt there.

And as far as setting a tone and who should do it, that's an argument that can go both ways. What I say in my pre-games is that it should not take us long as a crew to figure out what the game needs and what kind of whistles we need to put in it.

This game had two athletic and aggressive teams. There were many plays that could have had whistles but I think the crew did a good job of passing on marginal contact and was consistent on both ends. IMO, the game did not need more whistles.

Quote:
This is what will stick with me from this game....

The best play of the game (Burke's block) got penalized.

One of the worst plays of the game (Hancock jumping sideways into a defender when shooting from the corner) got rewarded.
What sticks with me is that it was a fast paced, competitive natl championship game where both teams played hard and did not make for the easiest game to officiate but the crew overall did a nice job.

If you want to focus on two plays that's fine but you could do that in almost any basketball game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Yeah, that was the only single play I was disappointed in. I think they could have put a few more whistles on defenders putting theirs hands on dribblers but I felt they allowed the same amount of contact on both ends in the paint and the players adjusted to it.
The Burke block and the kick ball where it looks like the C got straight-lined were the only real plays that stuck out to me.

There was definitely some contact that could have been called but I felt they were consistent on both ends and players adjusted well. As zebraman said earlier and I stated above, it was two athletic, aggressive teams and not an easy contest to officiate but I think they did a nice job.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekent View Post
You said it right there, "from your end of the world." None of us (presumably) were there, and so no one here knows what directive these officials may have been given by their assigner. Perhaps the NCAA specifically wanted to "let them play" this game.
Perhaps the NCAA did ('let them play' would infer that fewer fouls were called, right?), however that would contradict the comment that I was responding to... that there were 'a lot of fouls called'.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

That was a great game. The officiating was just right for this game.

My only issues:
1) Early GT that did not get called
2) Kicked ball that did not get called
3) Incorrect call by L on clean block by Michigan's Burke

Glad that there were no weak held/jump ball calls like there was on Saturday