The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 187
WVA vs. Louisville

Anyone watch this game just finished? Just wondering if anyone else has thoughts on how in the world Huggins didn't get ejected. He was a raving lunatic on multiple occasions.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 03:07pm
9/11 - Never Forget
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,643
Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Concur!

The WHACK was nice though!

I'm not a big Huggins fan......

Now I'm watching the Dookies get hammered........by the Hoyas.

Other than having three games canceled today by friggin SNOW again, the day isn't half bad!
__________________
There was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 187
Yep. I had yesterday and today cancelled - thankfully. Would have been 3 hours one way in snow and ice.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
The WHACK was nice though!

I'm not a big Huggins fan......

Now I'm watching the Dookies get hammered........by the Hoyas.

Other than having three games canceled today by friggin SNOW again, the day isn't half bad!
Who is?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 28
Out of Bounds (No)Call

I thought this thread might be discussing the out of bounds call that was in the last few seconds. I never saw a directional signal from Lead and was wondering what happened. Does any one have any insight into that call?

It is of course possbile (probable?) that call was made verbally and just no direction given since the Lead was ducking out of the way of the ball.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 04:42pm
In Time Out
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 794
yeah I never saw a call either. AP maybe? Thought it was Louisville ball but it was hard to tell. I didn't see him point when he ducked or the other refs.
Kind of miffed in the Kentucky game just now why there wasn't an intentional foul called on Cousins. They went to the video and it was an obvious call. Perhaps because the guy made the three pointer and Vandy was getting the ball they didn't want to add on to it
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 10:11pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
yeah I never saw a call either. AP maybe? Thought it was Louisville ball but it was hard to tell. I didn't see him point when he ducked or the other refs.
Kind of miffed in the Kentucky game just now why there wasn't an intentional foul called on Cousins. They went to the video and it was an obvious call. Perhaps because the guy made the three pointer and Vandy was getting the ball they didn't want to add on to it
They can only go to the monitor to determine if it was flagrant or not. If the initial call wasn't "intentional" they cannot change it to intentional after going to the monitor.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 10:47pm
In Time Out
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 794
aw that's it. I don't like that rule. NCAA should change it. Cousins was lucky he didn't hit the guy. The announcers were saying he's had issues and the SEC might look into it.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
They can only go to the monitor to determine if it was flagrant or not. If the initial call wasn't "intentional" they cannot change it to intentional after going to the monitor.
This was changed this year! Here is the new rule (09-10):
2-13.2.d.....Determine if a contact flagrant foul occurred. When it is determined that a contact flagrant foul did not occur but an intentional personal, (men) contact dead ball technical foul or (women) a player-substitute technical foul for dead ball contact did occur, those fouls shall be penalized accordingly. However, no other infractions may be penalized.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 09:40am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonref View Post
I thought this thread might be discussing the out of bounds call that was in the last few seconds. I never saw a directional signal from Lead and was wondering what happened. Does any one have any insight into that call?

It is of course possbile (probable?) that call was made verbally and just no direction given since the Lead was ducking out of the way of the ball.
He never made a call and asked his partner for help. He didn't know either and they tried to figure out a way to go to the monitor for a clock error to look at it.
The possession before they got the out of bounds call wrong too and gave the ball to WVA who then hit the winning shot.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 517
Here is the video:

Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 12:36pm
CLH CLH is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 293
Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart View Post
This was changed this year! Here is the new rule (09-10):
2-13.2.d.....Determine if a contact flagrant foul occurred. When it is determined that a contact flagrant foul did not occur but an intentional personal, (men) contact dead ball technical foul or (women) a player-substitute technical foul for dead ball contact did occur, those fouls shall be penalized accordingly. However, no other infractions may be penalized.
It is also important to note that the purpose of this rule is for upgrades of common fouls only. You cannot downgrade a call via the monitor. The rationale is that the monitor is to determine whether a flagrant occured. If the initial call is a flagrant then you have already made that determination. I'm assuming the same interpretation is true for the men's side.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 04:42am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 187
These officials lost credibility when they allowed Huggins to stay in the game after continually peppering them with verbal abuse throughout. If you notice in the video, the WVA player scored with 11 seconds left after the ball went off a WVA player's head out of bounds. Louisville inbounded after the basket and the shot from the corner barely beat the shot clock horn when their possession started with 11 seconds on the clock. Lots of crazy stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 07:07am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
The Big East office issued a statement yesterday saying that the first throw-in call was wrong and the second throw-in call was handled wrongly. They also said that there was a shot-clock problem that wasn't addressed also. As usual, they didn't(and won't) say if any further action was taken against the officials.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 07:13am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by refguy View Post
These officials lost credibility when they allowed Huggins to stay in the game after continually peppering them with verbal abuse throughout.
Do you ever say anything positive about D1 officials? It seems to me me that all you ever post is that they're too old, too slow, lack balls, etc.

You keep telling us that you're a college official. Let me take a wild guess....you're doing D2/D3/JC games and not D1. And in a state like Cali where there's a ton of those games available. Correct?

And yes, I have looked at your old posts.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Feb 02, 2010 at 07:36am.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kentucky/Louisville WhistlesAndStripes Basketball 49 Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:55am
Louisville/WVU rainmaker Basketball 11 Sun Mar 27, 2005 06:01am
Memphis-Louisville ending TriggerMN Basketball 7 Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:49pm
Cinn-Louisville.... DrakeM Basketball 11 Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:11am
The Louisville "No travelling" game ChuckElias Basketball 11 Mon Mar 25, 2002 04:49pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1